Bathroom starts !

25 minutes ago, Onoff said:

The (blue) tanking needs to be continuous. I think the theory is that you should also use the tanking tape at any change in materials say where mrpb meets the concrete floor etc. 

Guess you primed like mine before applying the tanking liquid?

You then prime again with tile primer (over the blue) before applying the tile adhesive. Wotsit to a blanket!

Sorry re read your post .

Tape is used at all joints ; like wall to floor transition. Board to board . Over every fixing within the shower ‘wet’ zone 

Come on @Onoff explain the point of this tanking in this ( or any scenario )

If water gets past grout / Mastik you have a leak but you might not know it yet . The tanking would just delay the inevitable, yes ? . So what’s it really for ? . Once the water has got to this tanking layer it will eventually appear on the ceiling below .

A random website ...

When to recommend tanking

Stocking tanking kits alongside adhesives specific to bathrooms, wet rooms and kitchens provides an excellent opportunity to recommend an additional product to your customer and make an extra sale”

its just a bloody up sell !!

I guess the only real advantage I can see is if as traditionally you plasterboarded the shower walls then tiled . If a leak occurred the plaster board would soak that up and eventually the entire wall would become dubious . With these water resistant boards that’s less likely to happen i.e integrity of wall compromised . I *suppose* tanking protects the wall more .
All sounds a bit snake oil to me ...

If water gets past the grout/tiles, it runs down the tanking membrane and onto the tanking tape which is lapped onto the bath/shower tray, thus directing the water back into the tray rather than the board behind getting wetter and wetter until it eventually shows on your celing below

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

If water gets past the grout/tiles, it runs down the tanking membrane and onto the tanking tape which is lapped onto the bath/shower tray, thus directing the water back into the tray rather than the board behind getting wetter and wetter until it eventually shows on your celing below

Oh !

Have I done mine wrong then ? . I’ve done my tanking at the base and the tray would sit ontop that . Surely I don’t tank after the tray is in ??????? ?????

Aaarrrgghhh its all wrong !

The tanking kit is for the suppliers wet room flush tray ( which I don’t have ) . So tanking is pointless in my case ??? . Surely I don’t fit a ceramic tray and overlap / tank the strips over that ??   
HELP SOS @Nickfromwales

Edited by pocster

Ok ! After numerous phone calls to tanking company and seller ...

I assume my tanking has ‘lesser’ benefit in this situation and it really is all down to the silicone around the edges .....

What’s the worse that can happen ?

It leaks - I’m use to that ! ????

3 hours ago, pocster said:

Ok ! After numerous phone calls to tanking company and seller ...

I assume my tanking has ‘lesser’ benefit in this situation and it really is all down to the silicone around the edges .....

What’s the worse that can happen ?

It leaks - I’m use to that ! ????

Steady on chap. I’ll come back to this later. 
Son’s been shielding so only now taking him to the hairdresser as we can’t see his face anymore......

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Steady on chap. I’ll come back to this later. 
Son’s been shielding so only now taking him to the hairdresser as we can’t see his face anymore......

I’ll hold my nuts tightly and wait . 20kg gets heavy after a while ??

1 minute ago, pocster said:

I’ll hold my nuts tightly and wait . 20kg gets heavy after a while ??

Does that include your imaginary friend?

The "flaps" on my wall drain get stuck down to the concrete and Aquapanel then the while lot tanked.

20180614_181948

20180807_225203

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Does that include your imaginary friend?

The "flaps" on my wall drain get stuck down to the concrete and Aquapanel then the while lot tanked.

20180614_181948

20180807_225203

Yeah but you’ve got a walk in shower former - I’ve got a real ceramic tray .

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah but you’ve got a walk in shower former - I’ve got a real ceramic tray .

Yeah, well I've got real ceramic tiles! ?

Just tape down onto the tray edge as you would the floor then tank? That and clear CT1 later, where the tiles meet the tray, ain't nuffink getting thru!

Guessing you might need to mask up the tray...

10 minutes ago, wozza said:

I used this for my trays:

Coooorrrrrr !

You might of saved me !

I need @Nickfromwales to ok 

So my plan would be

bed tray in tile adhesive 

stick ct1 down all 3 sides 

fix this tape with corners 

I really like it - assuming it sticks to the tray forever !

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Yeah, well I've got real ceramic tiles! ?

Just tape down onto the tray edge as you would the floor then tank? That and clear CT1 later, where the tiles meet the tray, ain't nuffink getting thru!

Guessing you might need to mask up the tray...

Yeah I asked the seller and manufacturer of the tanking and neither knew if it would stick to the tray ....

43 minutes ago, pocster said:

Or do you mean no ‘strip’ ? . Just ct1 down the sides and that’s it ? 

OK, son has been 'mowed' and we can see his ears are actually there still, even though he seems to not respond to commands such as "clean your room".......

Tank the walls about 300mm from the UNDERSIDE of the tray upwards and leave to dry. It dries quick as a flash, and you should be able to second coat it in an hour or so. Don't put it on like double cream, just a decent couple of layers and happy days.

Then fit the tray as per previous ramblings, shifty from side to side / front to back / CT1 squirted in etc and leave to go off. Wipe any excess CT1 off the tray with baby wipes and walk away for a beer ( or Mad Dog 20/20 which is probably more you :D ). 

Mask the tray 5mm in all round, and then go for second session with the CT1, where you fill the voids around the tray and 'tool' the excess up the walls a little to form a one-piece up-stand out of CT1 which carries on up the walls about 30mm or so.Use a bit of stiff cardboard ( nothing plastic or it'll damage the tanking ) to form a nice 90 degree internal angle in the wet CT1 and relax knowing that bar steward will be dry as Bin Laden's flip flop for many years to come.  

13 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

OK, son has been 'mowed' and we can see his ears are actually there still, even though he seems to not respond to commands such as "clean your room".......

Tank the walls about 300mm from the UNDERSIDE of the tray upwards and leave to dry. It dries quick as a flash, and you should be able to second coat it in an hour or so. Don't put it on like double cream, just a decent couple of layers and happy days.

Then fit the tray as per previous ramblings, shifty from side to side / front to back / CT1 squirted in etc and leave to go off. Wipe any excess CT1 off the tray with baby wipes and walk away for a beer ( or Mad Dog 20/20 which is probably more you :D ). 

Mask the tray 5mm in all round, and then go for second session with the CT1, where you fill the voids around the tray and 'tool' the excess up the walls a little to form a one-piece up-stand out of CT1 which carries on up the walls about 30mm or so.Use a bit of stiff cardboard ( nothing plastic or it'll damage the tanking ) to form a nice 90 degree internal angle in the wet CT1 and relax knowing that bar steward will be dry as Bin Laden's flip flop for many years to come.  

Ok ( I think ) 

The first bit 300mm blue tanking . Do you mean 300mm under the tray then up the wall how much ? 

Or do you mean 300mm from under the tray right up the walls to the ceiling all in blue ??

Read it again ! I think you mean 300mm ply base up the wall yes ? I.e shower base then up 300mm blue 

??????????????

Rest of it I got ! ??

Edited by pocster

9 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ok ( I think ) 

The first bit 300mm blue tanking . Do you mean 300mm under the tray then up the wall how much ? 

Or do you mean 300mm from under the tray right up the walls to the ceiling all in blue ??

Read it again ! I think you mean 300mm ply base up the wall yes ? I.e shower base then up 300mm blue 

??????????????

Rest of it I got ! ??

You sure you haven't got a white painted, Welsh holiday cottage?

• Thanks 1