What is the WTO tarrif on windows?

MikeSharp01

I do not wish to discuss BREXIT and this is not an opportunity to do so and I appreciate that we may or may not have tariffs.

We are close to ordering our windows and I was wondering what the WTO tariff was on windows so I could work out the cost risk of buying before the frame is finished or waiting until it is. I looked on the WTO site but was confused by much of it but I think the sector code 441810 anybody got any insights on this narrow focus?

@PeterW afaik tarrifs always apply at the time items are landed at the dock/airport/etc. Hence why in the recent imposition of USA/China tarrifs there was a big cargo ship of soybeans doing loops out at sea for a month to see if it would all blow over or if they could find another buyer in another country because it was cheaper than landing the goods.

I'm in a similar place with windows, almost ready to order but not quite and nervously eyeing the 8 week lead time and the calendar in the hope I can get them into the country before the end of October. Both to avoid any tarrifs and more fundamentally because in the nightmare scenarios if food/medicines/etc are all getting backed up for a while I can't imagine anyone will be rushing to clear my shipment through the border.

Im about to embark of building my whole house. I'm very worried about Brexit WTO impact and supply problems. Some light googling suggest about 6% increase in materials but I'm not sure about windows /mhvr/asp/kitchen etc. 

I suspect when supply is limited it will drive up the price as well plus the weaker pound which is bound to happen. 

What can I do though, just wait several years or get on with life...

Such a mess.

3 minutes ago, gc100 said:

Im about to embark of building my whole house. I'm very worried about Brexit WTO impact and supply problems. Some light googling suggest about 6% increase in materials but I'm not sure about windows /mhvr/asp/kitchen etc. 

I suspect when supply is limited it will drive up the price as well plus the weaker pound which is bound to happen. 

Such a mess.

F**k Brexit.

I'm in Northern Ireland and we're due to start on site 1st Nov. Building products from GB are expensive due to need for ferry transportation. From ROI due to the weak sterling. Tariffs will kill us. I will happily hire a van and smuggle goods across the "border".

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, gc100 said:

[...]

[...]

8 minutes ago, Conor said:

F**k 

[...]

I really, deeply feel for those many brave souls starting off in the current political atmosphere. But there are things we can all do to mitigate the insolence of fortune.

On many budget headings we can save a bit here, a bit there; overall the  price of stuff may  not  make much difference.

We can all compromise just a little bit.

Put the infrastructure in for  a this or a that  and  afford it a bit later - avoiding the aggro of digging through walls and laying cables or pipes. A bit of strategic planning if you will.

Delivery? Well, that's another issue.

Maybe the time will come soon when - as a group - we might pool resources to achieve some economy of scale : time, delivery costs, labour, purchasing power. ? 

21 minutes ago, craig said:

Basically put, 20% import,  6.5% 3rd country for wooden and plastic, aluminium is 20% import & 6% 3rd country 

You can find the tarriff calculator here https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff

24 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

[...]

On many budget headings we can save a bit here, a bit there; overall the  price of stuff may  not  make much difference

[...]

What a stupid thing of me to write.  There aren't enough expletives ........... 

43 minutes ago, craig said:

Basically put, 20% import,  6.5% 3rd country for wooden and plastic, aluminium is 20% import & 6% 3rd country 

You can find the tarriff calculator here https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff

Thanks for link. If I search wood I'm seeing 0% tarif (not sure if this link will work https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/headings/4407?currency=EUR&day=8&month=8&year=2019 )

Am I missing something?

Bricks: 1.7%

Ceramics: 2%

Screws/Bolts/etc: 3.7%

Plasterboard: 1.7%

Insulation: 0% (I think)

Aluminium windows: 6%

Electrical cable copper: 5.2%

Zinc roofing: 5%

Glass sheets: 2%

Cement: 1.7%

Plastic piping: 6.5%

Aluminium pipes: 7.5%

Electrical sockets/fuses/etc: 2.3%

Electrical storage heaters, cookers: 2.7%

Brilliant.

Edited by gc100

53 minutes ago, craig said:

You can find the tarriff calculator here https://www.gov.uk/trade-

Thanks, that is very clear and a bit frightening. I think that is £4K on our windows, makes you think! So far I have managed +/- 2mm (X/Y/Z) on the build against the drawings so in theory I should get the window openings about there from the drawings so its just a case of deciding what to do. 83 days to get them ordered and delivered, lets see what the suppliers say?

As I understand it the UK is planning temporary tarrifs on a range of goods...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/temporary-rates-of-customs-duty-on-imports-after-eu-exit

It says the tarrif will be zero on goods not listed. Couldn't find windows listed, nor bricks. 

As for VAT.. I believe the UK will charge VAT on goods arriving from the EU at the ports. So I believe you need to get EU suppliers to give you export prices or you will end up paying both EU and UK VAT. I'm guessing only UK VAT will be reclaimable under the self build reclaim scheme.

The treatment of small parcels is different.

Lots of info in here..

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-for-businesses-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/vat-for-businesses-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

According to this story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45112872 the government does not intend to impose tariffs on most goods.  Looking at the table at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/temporary-rates-of-customs-duty-on-imports-after-eu-exit I can find little, if any, construction-related things listed.  So I reckon leaving with no deal will make NO DIFFERENCE to the cost of building-related goods imported from EU countries as far as tariffs are concerned.  The exchange rate risk is a different matter!

Edited by DavidFrancis
Typo

2 hours ago, Conor said:

F**k Brexit.

I'm in Northern Ireland and we're due to start on site 1st Nov. Building products from GB are expensive due to need for ferry transportation. From ROI due to the weak sterling. Tariffs will kill us. I will happily hire a van and smuggle goods across the "border".

I,ve got a big garage /warehouse 30 miles from stranraer --maybe a biz oppertunity ?

this from bbc news, is it correct?

Under WTO rules, after Brexit, cars would be taxed at 10% when they crossed the UK-EU border. ... The government has set out its plans for tariffs in the case of a no-deal Brexit. Its temporary schedule would mean that 87% of imports by value will be tariff-free, compared with 80% before Brexit.

20 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

I,ve got a big garage /warehouse 30 miles from stranraer --maybe a biz oppertunity ?

I intend on making my millions after Brexit by selling dairy milk chocolate on eBay with crazy markup. Couple boxes a week in my laptop bag should do the job. I certainly won't be declaring lol

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, K78 said:

There will be at least a 12 month transition period when all the posturing is over. 

Traders may not see it that way, they could capitalise on the the public's ignorance.  I see to remember that happened after 'D' Day.  240 old pence to the pound was rounded to 100 new pence to the pound.

39 minutes ago, Conor said:

Couple boxes a week in my laptop bag should do the job

I know of a warehouse

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

warehouse 30 miles from stranraer

4 hours ago, gc100 said:

I'm confused. There is import duty as well as the tarif + VAT?

No.  The duty is an amount in £. The tariff is the rate in % used to to calculate the duty. 

If you order something like a lorry load of bricks or timber the cost to you should be calculated as follows..

Total = [(Cost of goods + shipping + insurance) + duty] + VAT

In addition there might be a fee (and VAT on the fee) from the customs broker (company that processes the goods through customs. For example they may have to store the goods while they contact you and collect your payment of duty and VAT).

• Thanks 1