Which features of your house bug you?

-  When I stop my Neff microwave early because the food is already hot, it will beep indignantly for AGES to let it finish its job.

- The lock on our sliding door is so difficult it literally stops me from using the sliding door. Same with my front door, I sometimes go in through the garage if I'm in a hurry.

- My Chef King induction hob keeps its fan running for 3-4 minutes after I've stopped using it.

- One toilet takes so long to fill, going to pee can extend from 1 minute to 4 minutes if the first flush didn't get some paper..

And so on.

Perhaps to rephrase the question slightly: any avoidable practical annoyances that we all should look out for?

Our AEG ovens do the same.  I can't find any way to stop the damned things bleeping.  In fact, I'd rather things didn't ever bleep at all, especially my car; that makes a variety of odd bleeps and musical tones when turned on, and I've yet to find a way to turn them off (my old Toyota used to do the same, but I found a way to hack into it via the OBD port to turn them all off). 

The hob is as bad.  Wipe it with a cloth a bit too vigorously (when it's off)  and it beeps to tell you to stop...

We either hung a door backwards or put the switch on the wrong side in the utility room - can't remember which. Net result is that you need to reach behind the door to switch the light on and off. I'll retrofit something eventually, but it isn't a priority at the moment.

We have recessed skirting boards that are (or should be) flush with the wall above. In some places, skirting boards are slightly too recessed. Oh, and the height of the gap between them varies throughout the house. Little thing, but it's something I notice all the time.

We didn't find the time to screw all the boards down upstairs, and now we have places in our bedroom that creak. Drives. Me. Nuts.

We decided for some reason not to include external blinds on our large bedroom window, despite the fact it faces east. I think we were just desperate to save money at that point. Why did we choose to lose those blinds rather than the ones facing the same direction in the kitchen? Literally no idea. We do have the wiring and a recess, so we can retrofit, but it will be more expensive and a bit of a pain in the arse than if we'd just done it properly the first time.

I could go on for several pages more...

My conservatory roof, the despressing amount of leaves resting thereupon, the blockage of leaves in the drainpipe (I think) which is keeping the conservatory gutter (hidden rather comprehensively under the house gutter) full of water, and the crawler boards I am going to need to crawl along to clear it all out in what looks like a 3-4 yearly exercise.

Building regs that stop me doing some things the way I really want, or stop me doing  them altogether (hence a growing "after completion"  list.)

On the subject of ovens.  We wanted a matching conventional oven and microwave.   What we were forced to buy was a fan oven and a mini oven / microwave combination oven.  That combination is not as good a microwave as we would have liked (no rotating turntable for instance).  I could have bought a "matching" built in microwave by the same manufacturer that functionally is what we wanted, BUT that type looks like (because it is) a free standing microwave with a front plate put on to make it pretend to be built in.  I was not happy with that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

On the subject of ovens.  We wanted a matching conventional oven and microwave.   What we were forced to buy was a fan oven and a mini oven / microwave combination oven.  That combination is not as good a microwave as we would have liked (no rotating turntable for instance).  I could have bought a "matching" built in microwave by the same manufacturer that functionally is what we wanted, BUT that type looks like (because it is) a free standing microwave with a front plate put on to make it pretend to be built in.  I was not happy with that.

Same here.  We bought the matching microwave/grill unit to go with the main oven and it doesn't have a turntable.  PITA, as it doesn't heat evenly, nowhere near as good as the old (and much cheaper) stand-alone combination microwave we left behind at the old house.

• Like 1

THE STAIRCASE, had to be moved into the room as the architect had made a mistake with the head room, waited months for a solution which was going to cost a lot more money which we didn’t have by then and the architect refused to pay, eventually found a cheaper solution which I now hate. This is something we’ll have to go back to after sign off which is now resulting in me not being able to furnish the room!

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Also need:

"Which bugs of your house featured you when they were being designed?"

Ferdinand

(who is safe 'cos I didn't design my house)

I designed my house myself so there are no built in features that irritate me other than as already mentioned  those that building regs forced me to incorporate (or not incorporate as appropriate)

15 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Also need:

"Which bugs of your house featured you when they were being designed?"

Ferdinand

(who is safe 'cos I didn't design my house)

• The amazing drying cupboard in the utility room, which still isn't enclosed after 4 years and may never be used as intended.
  • The layout of the windows and sliding door in the kitchen, which made it impossible the furnish without having a sofa cover one of the windows.
  • On a related point, we should have done a better job of planning the kitchen. There's too much area devoted to bench space and not enough to comfortable seating. 
  • Including a bath in the main ensuite. We've used it maybe twice in 3.5 years. It was added at the last minute to enhance resale value (despite the fact we never plan to sell), and the room would be larger, more attractive and more usable without it. 
  • Downstairs toilet is too big - should have made it narrower and given the space to the adjacent utility room.
  • The workshop attached the garage is so narrow as to be impractical. Should have had the internal wall in a different place along half of the garage to make it wider.
  • Should have built in provision for recessed internal blinds. 

Again, I could go on!

• Thanks 1

Hates:

- Not enough insulation in the walls/roof.

- Frameless shower leaks just enough water to create scale on the outside.

- Travertine washbasin grows mould no matter how frequently its bleached/cleaned (will be replaced one day).

- Planked Wood floor in the WC starts parallel to the wall but somehow ends up not parallel behind the WC.  See it every time you pee.

- Site slopes so there are steps on the paving around the house. A pain when moving a scaffolding tower around. 

- Rabbit and mole invasion from the church yard next door.

Loves:

- Overall design (staircase in dining hall, double height window)

- The location.

- Concrete 1st floor.

- UFH in bathrooms

- The MHRV system, fresh air and no condensation

- Mains pressure, seriously high flow rate showers.

- Rainwater collection tank.

- LPG Hob (no mains gas in village).

- Owls in the church yard next door.

I have plenty of grumbles about the way the controls of the ASHP work, and the fiddles / inventiveness needed to make it work as I wanted it to work (simply from a conventional central heating time clock, not the hideously complicated thing they supply that nobody can understand)

But no doubt anyone capable of designing a control system for a bit of kit like this (and there are several on this forum that could do it) will all agree we could make a better job of it.

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Same here.  We bought the matching microwave/grill unit to go with the main oven and it doesn't have a turntable.  PITA, as it doesn't heat evenly, nowhere near as good as the old (and much cheaper) stand-alone combination microwave we left behind at the old house.

I was *just* about to write a post about the non-turntable-ness of my microwave.

To be fair, my last microwave was a bit of a pain to clean once spills happened, but perhaps some modern well-designed microwaves either CAN heat evenly, or DO have an easily cleanable turntable? Anyone have a microwave they are... 'glowing' about? ;)

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

doesn't have a turntable.  PITA, as it doesn't heat evenly, nowhere near as good as the old (and much cheaper) stand-alone combination microwave we left behind at the old house.

Again the Neff has no TT matches the oven perfectly it deals with the spin using a gadget in the roof and you can use metal utensils and pans in it quite happily. It's magic - did cost about 12 times the one I have on site which spins the plate and creates wonderfully hot ready meals on demand. 

Edited by MikeSharp01

20 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Anyone have a microwave they are... 'glowing' about? ;)

Yes, the 25 year old free standing one of unknown make we have been using until a year ago.  It is old and tatty, far too tatty to adorn the kitchen in the new house, but it just works, and easy to keep clean.

My living room is really a corridor between the kitchen and the stairs.

Light switched set up for entry via front door, car parking is at the back.

Bosch washing machine bleeps, says it can be turned off, never managed to do it.

Airtight terraced houses have a problem when neighbours slam their back doors.  The whole house shakes, even when the door slammer (have moved now) are two doors away.

Noisy plumbing, just can't seem to find out why.

Bloody windy and very wet.

Good things, cheap as chips to heat, close to A30, so can get places easily, 2 miles from beach, mile from the woods (not many trees in Cornwall), in Cornwall.

Early days for me:

Hates.

• The wonky block I laid this week along a key pathway in the garage/workshop. It is 4mm out in the horizontal plane and it will irritate me for the next 20 years. Think I will cut it out this weekend.
  • Copulating pigeons clattering about on the metal roof of the static caravan at 5am. 

Loves

• Building my garage wall in the evening to the sound of the village church bell ringing practice session.
  • Checking my masonry at sunset with a line laser and thinking that ain't half bad.

10 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Copulating pigeons clattering about on the metal roof of the static caravan at 5am. 

Somebody not like you? A known maliciousness is to throw breadcrumbs on somebody else's roof the night before for the birds to find as soon as it's light.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

Somebody not like you? A known maliciousness is to throw breadcrumbs on somebody else's roof the night before for the birds to find as soon as it's light.

There is a similar trick to play at Christmas. Collect dog shit, gift wrap if, place on neighbours door step, set fire to it, ring doorbell. Hide and watch as they stamp it out.

Makes me grin every year.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Sad 1