Thermostatic shower bar mixer valves, questions, woes, and a bit of a rant.

ProDave

I've bought a lot of stuff off eBay and may have just been lucky, but my experience has been pretty good tbh. 

I bought some shitty LED lights once, but after getting annoyed with them, ( and then connecting them up to the mains just to watch them die ), I bought some replacements and was back in business. 

High 'ranking' sellers mean they've been in business for a good while, so is a reasonable measure of their character. Negative feedback can be viewed to affirm or remove that confidence. 

The fleas come with the dog so buy unfamiliar stuff and take your chances, but the BetterBathrooms one I'm pretty sure is the one I've got. Still going strong and gets a hammering in my house. :)

• Like 1

Just been looking at theses badboys

Got home to see if i could find them on line and no longer in catalogue

IMAG1930.thumb.jpg.399e6d239010bad1a822fcfa879beb88.jpg

Shame as i like the idea of not getting cold water when waiting for hot to turn up as they were on wall at opposite end of tray

Edited by dogman

• 2 months later...

Just caught up with this thread.

We're having a walk in shower with a fixed screen- nominally 1600x900, although I might end up going for 1600x800 depending on prices/availability of the bits.

SWMBO is of the opinion that you *must* have a remote mixer for the shower in this situation, as otherwise you risk getting your hand hot/cold/wet as you reach in to turn it on. I've been showing her plenty of pictures in catalogues where an exposed mixer is mounted underneath the riser rail, and I'm not convinced that it's necessarily an issue- won't there already be a TMV on the UVC, removing the risk of scalds?

My main objection to having the mixer fitted remotely is that I only have a 25mm service cavity, and I think this means that I cannot go for a concealed unit. Obviously there are ways around this:

- box out the whole 1600 long wall of the shower, to create a bigger space

- fit a longer output hose and have this dangling between the mixer and riser (ugly!)

- route the output back into the wall from an exposed mixer (a little ugly)

- find an exposed mixer designed for the task, with all three connections on the back (doesn't exist?)

The third option seems by far the least bad. But simply mounting a bar mixer under the rise remains considerably easier.

1 hour ago, Crofter said:

Just caught up with this thread.

We're having a walk in shower with a fixed screen- nominally 1600x900, although I might end up going for 1600x800 depending on prices/availability of the bits.

SWMBO is of the opinion that you *must* have a remote mixer for the shower in this situation, as otherwise you risk getting your hand hot/cold/wet as you reach in to turn it on. I've been showing her plenty of pictures in catalogues where an exposed mixer is mounted underneath the riser rail, and I'm not convinced that it's necessarily an issue- won't there already be a TMV on the UVC, removing the risk of scalds?

@Crofter

I had exactly the same issue that you've got but the plumber sorted it out using an Aqualisa shower with this remote:

https://www.bathstore.com/products/41510004120.html

http://www.aqualisa.co.uk/showers/shower-ranges/aqualisa-visage™-smart-mixer-shower

The extra control is fixed to the wall just outside the shower enclosure and allows you to turn the water on & off and switch the water between the 2 shower heads. The light on the control blinks a blue light until the water is up to temperature then it goes a solid blue.

There's a duplicate control in the shower itself next to the shower head which also allows the temperature to be varied.

We didn't panel out the side wall of the shower. The thin control cable went through holes drilled in the center of the studs

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ian said:

@Crofter

I had exactly the same issue that you've got but the plumber sorted it out using an Aqualisa shower with this remote:

https://www.bathstore.com/products/41510004120.html

http://www.aqualisa.co.uk/showers/shower-ranges/aqualisa-visage™-smart-mixer-shower

The extra control is fixed to the wall just outside the shower enclosure and allows you to turn the water on & off and switch the water between the 2 shower heads. The light on the control blinks a blue light until the water is up to temperature then it goes a solid blue.

There's a duplicate control in the shower itself next to the shower head which also allows the temperature to be varied.

We didn't panel out the side wall of the shower. The thin control cable went through holes drilled in the center of the studs

+1 on the Aqualisa digital showers. They are expensive but a nice piece of luxury for a shower. We have them in the place we're in at the moment. Push the remote switch, wait for the light to tell you that your shower is at your preset temp and climb in. 

These are the ones we have (albeit ours are geting on for 12 years old now!):

http://www.aqualisa.co.uk/showers/shower-ranges/aqualisa-quartz™-smart-mixer

Take a deep breath though I didn't say they were cheap! 

• 1 year later...

Can I resurect this post as the OH and I are disagreeing with what type of shower to install in our en-suite?  He likes the digital Aqualisa ones as the gubbins can go up in the attic above the shower and the controls can be at the drier end of the shower so we dont get a wet arm, turning it all on.  Which we all agree is worth doing.?

However, I am reluctant to go digital as its just something else to break down and I would like an ordinary thermostatic shower with the controls in the drier end. 

we are going to put in a tray across the end of the room 900 or 1000 x 1600mm with a 1000mm fixed glass screen, leaving 600mm for entry on the right.

I have been reading as many posts on this subject as I can but the question I'd like to ask is which shower to go for?? 

Digital or another system?

IMG_20190202_143513.thumb.jpg.fc1e15b020a571ea853ca4b9b2794ccf.jpg

The hot water tank is in the airing cupboard, to the right of the right hand purple wall. there is electricity in the attic above the room and currently, the hot water comes up from the floor and the cold down from the attic (cold water tank is in the attic).  we dont want to use an electric shower but we do want a reasonable pressure.  Its a gravity fed system says the OH.

So you won't get reasonable pressure with a gravity system. Hot and cold will be same pressure assuming its a hot tank not a combi, but if its all cold tank driven then it will be as high as the tank is above the ceiling.

Consider the Mira Platinum ones, have a 5 year warranty on the units. I've had an Aqualisa pumped one fitted for about 8 years now on a job and its never missed a beat but I think its noisy.

We had an aqualisa visage digital mixer in our last house. It broke down twice in 3 years. Perhaps we were unlucky. To be fair to aqualisa they came out and fixed it under warranty both times, no quibble. But we were without a shower for a week waiting for the engineer.

We’ll be having Grohe bar mixers in the new house.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

So you won't get reasonable pressure with a gravity system. Hot and cold will be same pressure assuming its a hot tank not a combi, but if its all cold tank driven then it will be as high as the tank is above the ceiling.

Consider the Mira Platinum ones, have a 5 year warranty on the units. I've had an Aqualisa pumped one fitted for about 8 years now on a job and its never missed a beat but I think its noisy.

It is gravity fed and old shower (NewTeam 1000) had a small pump in the unit which was noisy.  this time, the OH wants any pump in the attic to minimise noise.  Are we okay adding a pump into a thermoststic unit system without draining the tank?  The Newteam was certainly okay for us pressure wise but we dont want the pump in the unit. 

Edited by TheMitchells

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

We had an aqualisa visage digital mixer in our last house. It broke down twice in 3 years. Perhaps we were unlucky. To be fair to aqualisa they came out and fixed it under warranty both times, no quibble. But we were without a shower for a week waiting for the engineer.

We’ll be having Grohe bar mixers in the new house.

So how do we fit something like Grohe mixers so that the controls are in the drier end.  it is just a case of having the pipe work horizontal to the control unit?  forgive me but I am not a plumber so keep the replies simple. The OH is far more knowledgeable but he wants to go digital......

Thanks OnOff - much clearer now.  and exactly what I'd like but the OH is still adament that he want digitial and as he will be installing it, I guess I have to give in on this one.   At least I usually get my own way on the tiles....??.  And I do like the look of your shaower - I may have to pinch that style.

So - I'm off now to research digital showers.  starting with Aqualisa.

As per the above pics, or fit the Aqualisa pumped digital shower. One customer recently said he'd had no issues with the pumped version, plus when I fitted a SA for him and removed his hot water cylinder I simply ordered the replacement high pressure hot / cold digital mixer unit to replace the gravity ( pumped ) one. Took an hour to upgrade so if you ever ditch the gravity system you wont have to change the shower. 

Other option is to go for a regular mixer shower and put a pump in the attic ( which I think will need to be a negative head type as it'll have no gravity for initial 'start up' flow ), and then if you change to a combi boiler later on again that would need no alteration other than taking the pump out of line.

@TheMitchells the Mira is a very expensive but is a very robust valve, with remarkably good flow with poor pressure. What head do you have ? ( what is the distance between the shower head outlet as fitted, and the bottom of the cold water tank in the attic )?

16 minutes ago, TheMitchells said:

Thanks OnOff - much clearer now.  and exactly what I'd like but the OH is still adament that he want digitial and as he will be installing it, I guess I have to give in on this one.   At least I usually get my own way on the tiles....??.  And I do like the look of your shaower - I may have to pinch that style.

So - I'm off now to research digital showers.  starting with Aqualisa.

Not my design. That Welsh git posted something similar and SWMBO saw it! :)

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Not my design. That Welsh git posted something similar and SWMBO saw it! :)

And I have the same shower mixer and choice of 2 outlets.  They were very cheap when I bought my 2, but someone looked recently and they had become a lot less cheap.

My design goal was you should not get a wet (cold) arm when you reach in to turn the shower on, but it must still be reachable when you are in. So it's towards one end of a 1200mm wide shower.