-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
10 Year Rule and immunity under the 4 year rule.
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Planning Permission
Heres an image of the blockwork inside the shell of what was the caravan Note the laurel planted a few weeks ago. -
10 Year Rule and immunity under the 4 year rule.
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Planning Permission
This image illustrates the foundations created to support the building within. (To be uploaded when the server lets me in a few minutes: I just need to fool it into allowing me) Here you are @ProDave.... -
10 Year Rule and immunity under the 4 year rule.
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Planning Permission
-
10 Year Rule and immunity under the 4 year rule.
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Planning Permission
In trying to form a judgment as to whether the 'dwelling house' was built covertly, I attach the following annotated images. A plan of the area showing the track which separates our properties, and the location of the caravan / dwelling house, tucked away under the trees. A screenshot from Google Maps showing the area before the caravan was placed on the site under the trees. The walls were built as soon as the caravan was placed under the trees. Heres an image from Google Earth Pro showing a plan of the area in more detail. Notice the unlawful open cesspit, it hasn't been emptied in 4 or 5 years: the foul liquor floods the field every time it rains. The shed to the LHS of the image is surrounded by foul drain overflow. (The LPA are refusing to enforce the absence of planning permission on the unlawful cesspit) Further images to follow. -
10 Year Rule and immunity under the 4 year rule.
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Planning Permission
In the somehwat poetic words of the Inspector , the former caravan is '... on the balance of probabilities ... a dwelling house. ' -
10 Year Rule and immunity under the 4 year rule.
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Planning Permission
and and How well was this dwelling house hidden? Before answering that question, I'd like to I ask the commentatriat whether it would be unfair on my part (to the property owner) to publish photographic evidence here? I appreciate that your replies will have no legal status beyond simple unqualified opinion. The images that I would publish are images of a 'dwelling house' that everyone 'sees' every day. Most people think and always have thought that they walk past a caravan. I would like to publish that evidence here. The photos I have taken over the years have been from a public road that runs outside both our properties. Other images material to the discussion have been taken from outer space (you can see the overflowing open cesspit on Google Earth [ not Google Maps] - and you can see how the caravan has been placed underneath a canpoy of trees - visible in winter , but not in summer) Perhaps the Moderation Team would like to offer a more focused opinion on the matter? I will of course abide by your decision. I'll PM a few of the team to canvas opinion. -
Welcome. These days, for knowledge work, (probably a desk study in your case) location doesn't matter as much as it used to. Our architect (for example) works in Hereford, Manchester and Lancaster. When I ask him to do something for us, it really doesn't matter if he's based in Chile. It might be an idea for you to have a look at other publicly available online desk-based studies for your location. Have a look at a wide selection of the authors' work . That'll give you a simple metric of the quality of the surveyour's work. Then ask around - locally if you want - . Best of luck Ian
-
I’d be grateful if you could check my thinking please. In short, I think our Local Authority Head of Planning has missed a key point in a Decision in an Appeal Against Enforcement. It is his contention that the dwelling house built inside a caravan (yes, you read that correctly) is immune from further Enforcement under the Four Year Rule (Full details here). It is my contention that, under the 10 Year Rule , the Decision handed down by the Inspector shows that the dwelling house is not immune from Enforcement. This post is not about a neighbour dispute. It is about our LPA’s apparent unwillingness to follow through in a case which involves unlawful building and a persistent and determined attempt to deceive everyone involved. Alleged Immunity from further Enforcment. I wrote to our Councillor about the matter. Here’s the HoP’s response via email to me. Referring to Appeal Decision Ref APP/U2370/C/19/3241296 (paragraph 32) he writes; ‘... With regard to the caravan and the building works undertaken an enforcement notice was served in October 2019. The notice was appealed (in 2020) and the appeal was upheld in favour of the appellant with the Inspector stating that the works had existed for a period of 4 years and had the effect of turning the caravan into a building which could lawfully remain on the site. The council cannot therefore use enforcement powers to seek its removal. ...’ Clear as day: the LPA are saying they can’t deal with the matter. Later in the same Appeal Decision (para 38) the Inspector writes ‘... It may be argued that upon completion of all the facilities within the structure in February 2015 the building’s residential use began straight away thereafter. This would imply that this was the first use of the building and there was no change of use to a dwellinghouse. This in turn implies a breach under section 171B(3) and case law has established that if a dwellinghouse is erected unlawfully and used as a dwellinghouse from the outset the unlawful use can still properly be the subject of enforcement action within ten years, even if the building itself, as a structure, becomes immune from enforcement action after four years. ...’ Clear as day: the Inspector is saying the LPA can deal with the matter. Or have I missed something? I really hope I have missed something because if I haven't then something serious could be amiss. The full Appeal Decision Notice can be downloaded here from the Planning Inspectorate. Paragraphs 32 and 38 are the key ones. https://acp.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/ViewCase.aspx?Caseid=3241296&CoID=1134608
-
When will there ever not be too much to do? 6 years in, and it's just the same, it never stops. We've some serial selfbuilders here on BH. Gotta take my hat off to them. Seriously well organised, gutsy people.
-
Nearly. I'm almost sure that its part of the Germanic family of languages.
-
Market? They aren't interested. I asked them why not..... because it's not ready .... was the answer. Can I have 2 please? I asked. Never could (or can) keep my trap shut. ?
-
Imagine my reaction when I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1TkiN309_4 And then imagine my disappointment when, delving deeper into the background and contatcting the development team, I find that the only interest they had was in securing more funding for their project. The outcome for people who might need the product(s) was of no concern at all. And we all need six fingers per hand don't we?
-
Exactly. I find that proper leather gloves make a huge difference to my hand grip strength: I'm always looking for ways to compensate for my stump-filled hands. A wrist brace is an idea I haven't explored... thanks.
-
Clive, thats brilliant. Looks like it'll do the job much better than my current litter picker. Stuff slips through the jaws because (I think) I can't get enough grip, and sometimes if I do get the right grip level, then the jaws cut through the material. Maybe the jaw lips could have a small ridge on them so that, locally, the grip pressure is greater there than elsewhere in the jaw? I ask because - on occasion - I have to lift quite heavy 'litter' - dead rats.
-
I turned our collapsed wall into minced (digger-crushed) Durisol (woodcrete) for adding to MoT1 : nice and soft - you could walk bare foot on it all the wasted insulation went to all-comers who wanted it for God Knows What and insulation for outdoor kennels Additionally my anger was re-purposed wherever possible as hard physical shovelling or parge-coating over-ordered cladding as internal boarding and a coat rack So far only 2 skips filled, and one more to go I think.
-
How many sqm of ICF can you build in a day?
ToughButterCup replied to ZacP's topic in Insulated Concrete Formwork (ICF)
@IanMcP, a little time spent searching for the term ICF on this site will give you the spread of answers you are looking for. -
Good grief. A prime example of someone using a large bank balance as a substitute for thought. I bet there's a good chance Eve Wilder will not even notice the transaction in her monthly bank statement.
-
I'm not sure anyone can do that; those who have built with ICF generally only use one type of ICF, not a range of them, and none of us can know in advance which system would suit anyone else. I built with one type, and would use the same again, but only because of the hard-won experience with it. I know what to look for, what to avoid and (to a limted extent) whom to avoid. Go and visit a series of sites and a range of differenct ICF manufacturers. Sniff the air. Listen to the bull-sheet (there's a lot of it about). Something will click. In simple terms, do your own due diligence. Nobody else can do that for you.
-
Angle grinder. 3mm blades.... cheaper , quicker maybe?
-
Architect wants to charge me for finding surveyors…
ToughButterCup replied to jno's topic in Surveyors & Architects
Change that word slightly to picky , then that's exactly what's needed. Attention to detail. Everything to be said in favour of that. -
Now that @Jilly, thats below the belt. Having watched a couple, the only peron I would wish such a procedure on is Donald Trump. Follwed by a prolapse and an anal fistula or two
-
How to build a cheap but secure bike shed?
ToughButterCup replied to Adsibob's topic in Garages & Workshops
The cheapest bike shed is an excellent bicycle insurance policy. Sorry I'll get my coat -
Your project appears, at this remove, to be complex. To me, that means you should consider appointing a local planning consultant. We are merely interested (not to say nosey) amateurs Have you looked at Martin Goodhalls blog. Here's what he has to say about Class R
-
Of course they will. The Trump right will have a landslide in Murika, Alexander Johson will spout more lies - peepl will believe him, and @nod will have finished another self-build.
