-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
@scottishjohn , @TerryE's blog describes the water process : from memory its called 'Fun with Levels ' or something close.... Here you are.... nearly had a go myself, but chickened out. Bit of a boffin our Terry ?
-
If there were such a thing, you'd find it on this site. We haven't got one because it's too complicated a job - they vary too much. Customers want to reduce risk, and builders know that. So they build in obscurity. So you build in specificity. So they build in their margin in more hidden ways. All you can do is follow the Due Diligence Process, and be as specific as you can. Its a messy uncomfortable process. Good luck. Ian
-
Forget the safety hat. Get a Bump Cap. You are much more likely to wear one than a safety hat. For me, most bumps occured when the scaffolding was up. Rain? You can get different covers for the hat, or if you are as mean as I am, a Lidl plastic shopping bag will do. My wife thought it would be fun to put tea-cosy over my cap - and I stuck some gold-braid over the peak part of it - show her who's boss. Yeah right.
-
Heat pump latest government offers
ToughButterCup replied to nod's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
OK, my opinion of you is that you are a cantakerous irritating little fart. That's fine is it? -
Heat pump latest government offers
ToughButterCup replied to nod's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
And that's the key thing - filtering. Data can be handled and or mishandled. Which is why the peer review process is so crucial. It's an intensely uncomfortable process - which I'm now begining to think should be made more uncomfortable. -
Heat pump latest government offers
ToughButterCup replied to nod's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
Kick the ball. Not the man. -
Just a thought, why has it taken (say) 6 full years to 'move' ? Have you looked at the foundations? Might that (as well as poor workmanship higher up) be a contributory factor? I ask, because if my suspicion is right, then sorting the foundation could well be as important as the other issues pointed out above. And if I were a roofer, I'd want to argue that the foundations had moved, not the roof. So its worth a careful look at least.
-
I wonder, do they publish the fundamental assumptions for that calculation ? Who knows, they might have underestimated the efficiencies. ? Thought I'd better ask before @SteamyTea blows a fuse.......
-
Homeless soon. Any tips?
ToughButterCup replied to patp's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
And I thought we had problems. Its hard not sound trite responding to a post like yours but - to me - not responding to express sympathy would be unkind. At this remove, staying on site looks the best alternative. £100 of crusher run stone, carefully laid and levelled will reduce the mud bath. Then buy a massive off-cut of synthetic grass (Astro Turf), curt to shape and lay it along the most used walking route. When the mud dries, use a blower to get rid of it. Or an industrial vac will do the same. Systematise common houselhold chores : storage, washing - making those easy and quick releases energy for other more difficult tasks. Dogs are mess-balls. But it won't be for long. Washable mats are a great help. My sincere sympathy to you both and especially your husband . Lets hope for a rapid recovery. Kind regards Ian -
Heat pump latest government offers
ToughButterCup replied to nod's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
How I agree! Ignorance is the most compelling reason to avoid Fallacy in presentating a point of view. And when Fallacy becomes endemic, invent Alternative Facts. Easy! -
Heat pump latest government offers
ToughButterCup replied to nod's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
Ok, briefly as I can. Examining any reasoning for Logical Fallacy is important because any Fallacy contained in that reasoning undermines the validity of any arguement, scientific or otherwise. -
Heat pump latest government offers
ToughButterCup replied to nod's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
So it's OK to present fallacious argument ? -
Heat pump latest government offers
ToughButterCup replied to nod's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
@SteamyTea lets agree to disagree. I don't want to annoy you any more than I have done. -
Heat pump latest government offers
ToughButterCup replied to nod's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
No. I am very suprised you wrote that sentence. Shocked at the one above..... And stunned at this one. Suprised because of the assumptions made about 12 to 14 year olds, shocked because of your failure to understand that Learning Style underpins every exchange of information , and stunned because of the logical fallacy embedded in the final statement. -
Heat pump latest government offers
ToughButterCup replied to nod's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
That explanation avoids one key issue: everyone has a slightly different learning style or - better put - set of leaning styles . Thank God. One person's '... shorter, easier to say and more correct ... ' is White Noise to others. As is - to a non-chippy - a bird's mouth , or - to a non-plumber - a half inch iron, or MoT1 to anyone who hasn't had to bother laying a foundation. And as for Thermal Mass...... Science needs to learn to communicate its content better to the general public. Thank God some people realised that some time ago -
Heat pump latest government offers
ToughButterCup replied to nod's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
But it's the most common description isn't it? And wrong. There - in one easy to read post - is a powerful illustration of why many people feel science is too hard and so disengage.. -
Heat pump latest government offers
ToughButterCup replied to nod's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
because I can just about get my head round the fridge in reverse explanation of a heat pump. -
Digital Bath Filler? - Press & forget?
ToughButterCup replied to Andeh's topic in Bathrooms, Ensuites & Wetrooms
Our baths are digital too. Put the plug in with fingers and switch taps on and off with the same digital expertese. -
can i put a cat flap on an internal door (which is wood and 4 panel)
ToughButterCup replied to TryC's topic in Decorating
I'm very grateful that you didn't ask the same question about an external door and a passivahus -
can i put a cat flap on an internal door (which is wood and 4 panel)
ToughButterCup replied to TryC's topic in Decorating
As in: Cold in bed tonight innit ... Put another dog on the bed then.... or in this case cat. -
Paranoid about spontaneous failure of large skylight
ToughButterCup replied to hendriQ's topic in Skylights & Roof Windows
Yes. No. Our large sheets of glass were the largest single item by value in the whole build. I wanted to fit and forget. I did fit them, and did forget them until I used the strimmer for the first time. Loads of loose MoT1 lying about. Yes, it did throw up some stones, and Yes, they did hit the window (2m by 3m). Yes, I did stop. Sharpish. Yes, I did check our buildings insurance. But I can't remember what the outcome was. Man I wish I was 30 years younger. Loads of strimming left undone. ?- 49 replies
-
- skylight
- heat soak testing
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Plasterboard on ceiling - urgent advice needed!
ToughButterCup replied to TryC's topic in Decorating
If the work had been done to standard , then the tradesman would have had nothing to fear. Inspection by another competent tradesman would have shown the work was done properly and you have been obliged to pay. The image (immediately above) documents bad, possibly dangerous practice. Document everything, then smile, say bye bye and ignore any invoices that come your way. How trades folk think they can get away with this stuff beats me. Honestly. -
Welcome. Sharpen your tools and sense of humour. You'll need both. Good luck. Ian
