-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
After 7 years ; moving in ….
ToughButterCup replied to Pocster's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Suggestion .... see ... she's floating over some walk-on glazing, and has a suitably evil pair of eyes and ears. -
After 7 years ; moving in ….
ToughButterCup replied to Pocster's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Good to hear of your progress. Take loads of photos of the celebrations and do have just a little too much to drink tomorrow eh? Ian -
I think you are right to be concerned. ... and, I assume, no evidence-based explanation of why the boards should - over time - stay there. Until you get a definitive answer, there's going to be that leeeettlll niggle - have the boards dropped a bit or not? You are right, timber moves - and so nobody can ever be certain sure what's going to happen. And so in my book, I'd assume it will happen. I suggest you consider securing them in some way that - never mind the glances or grimaces - reassures you. Stuff everyone else. The cost? Less than sorting it out later.
-
LPA Missed Deadline on Non-Material Amendment
ToughButterCup replied to harry_angel's topic in Planning Permission
Excellent set of questions @harry_angel '... automatically lawful... ' my fingertip-sense says that if that were indeed the case, then they'd get on your case in a timely manner. So - I bet the answer's No. But @Ferdinand knows I guess ......- 17 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- planning
- planning permission
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Said far more elegantly than I did earlier. It just like a row with a loved one. To force a stalemate, all thats needed is silence from one or other. @harry_angel's case is analogous to both parties - arms folded - eyeing one another with scarcely suppressed contempt. Which reminds me, must pop down the garage and get some (still in date) flowers . ?
-
Thats the one. Drill a perfectly vertical hole (7mm) through a block of wood (2 by 2) Attach that block to the wall, and drill the hole for the bar through that hole. (so the hole is perfectly level) Remove the block Repeat three more times Now you have 4 perfectly level holes for you to resin. Pop the threaded bar in , slip the block over the threaded bar again so you can support the threaded bar with the block Now you have four perfectly level threaded bars ready for your sink. How deep to drill? My guess is 100mm. Use a pooter (blower) and vacuum to clear out the dust. Threaded bar about 75-80mm long. Sit back, tea, medals, Brownie points. Tell her you'll get the plumber to connect up the waste and taps soon(ish)
-
I found that out the hard way a couple of years ago. A wasp got caught between the back of my safety glasses and my eye. It took exception to the restriction and stung me just below the eye. We held a funeral for the wasp. It was well attended - by our two dogs and cat, each of whom had suffered at the hands of our little friends.
-
I got so annoyed by the same issue, After the delivery of our windows where the packaging was all fastened with Torx head screws, I decided to use only Torx heads, and only the sizes dictated by a set of Wera Torx drivers. I lack the power in my hands to hold screwdrivers properly to Pozi or crosshead screws. Torx compensates for that issue quite well.
-
Larch cladding... will it come down. Place your bets..
ToughButterCup replied to SuperJohnG's topic in Building Materials
When we bought ours (Siberian Larch) , I asked Paul from ProWood about price variability. - then the issue was Brexit. It did make a difference: but not all that much couple of hundred quid. Buy when you have the money - and then let it go - DON'T look back. There's always some smart arisole who could have got it done / bought / mended / fixed at half the price. Lovely cladding - dogs gonads .... -
Almost all hand tools. I have Dupytrens, and had two fingers amputated (the little finger of each hand). The operation scars healed very badly, leaving the two outermost fingers curled over quite substantially. So I have some difficulty letting tools go - putting them down is worst. Losing two fingers means the loss of more than 20% of my grip strength. On the other hand, the curvature of my hand is superb for holding liquid soap, and since the outer fingers are locked in place, they make excellent hooks with which to empty cups from the dishwasher. Oh and prop a glass of wine base and stalk without needing to grip it. Ill wind that blows nobody any good eh? Now, I regualrly lift a 20Kg bag of chicken feed with the three remaining fingers - I would not have been able to do that before I lost the fingers.
-
@Jilly, have you scanned this website? ( https://www.pavingexpert.com/ )
-
I used 120mm concrete screws into our ICF (Durisol) - drilled to 135mm to allow for concrete dust that gets pushed ahead of the screws. I think part of the answer might be to do with the nature of the wall where you want to put the sink. I went to a lot of trouble to make sure that the brackets keyed into the concrete cores of the Durisol - and avoided the woodcrete type 'cladding' to the concrete lattice. You might want to consider mounting a really thick piece of wood as a shelf to carry the sink perhaps? My mum's house had an arrangement like that - gave you somewhere to put bits and bobs (like dirty boots)
-
If it does - if - then the effect will be minimal I would have thought.
-
The answer depends on the quality of the wood and from which part of the tree the wood is cut. The closer to the centre of the tree, the lower the risk of cupping , warping, bending and twisting. Quarter Sawn is the phrase you need to look for. Lay flat Sticker at even spacings - using clean evenly cut wood (paint, for example, transfers to the sticker to wood very easily) Place the stickers at even intervals vertically Cover with a sheet of OSB or similar to keep some direct sunlight off Weight the sheet of OSB evenly Try and ensure a steady airflow over the wood A little damp makes no difference Wait ; year or so easy..... And watch some of it bend, warp or twist anyway. But if you follow the above, then there will be a good deal more straight stuff worth using. I had over £1000 worth of Siberian Larch waiting outside for a year, or more. Covered and stickered properly. Little bits have warped here and there, one or two bananas. Whizzed through a thicknesser, it's come up beautiful. Bent grain has made the last meter of 4 meter boards deviate by 20mm in a few planks. The same treatment for scaffolding planks repays the effort.
-
Yeah, : it's in your email IN box already. All part of the service. By the way - You can't park there sir! Welcome to the semi mad house. The nutters are in charge here. Good luck. Ian
- 7 replies
-
- spreadsheet
- self-build
- (and 6 more)
-
ICF on insulated raft.
ToughButterCup replied to gavztheouch's topic in Insulated Concrete Formwork (ICF)
Weight - for us anyway - not an issue. Chickens are though. They seem to use it as a form of Alka-Seltzer. Now, the EPS is covered with a lead-replacement membrane If it were as problematic an idea as your post suggests, the idea of an EPS insulated raft would have died long ago. -
Worktop delaminating: which glue to use?
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in General Construction Issues
Yer a star @Roundtuit ................... Divorce avoided. Phhhhheeeewwww. My fault wuzunit.... ? Buildhub strikes again. Thanks everyone -
Worktop delaminating: which glue to use?
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in General Construction Issues
The latter..... aaargggghhhhh I think I need to dig the bubbling delaminating bit, strip it back a bit, Stixall and aluminium tape. All to be done while I'm upside down. Suppose I could use a mirror.... Ughhhh. -
The drying cycle of our dishwasher includes a phase where the dishwasher door opens automatically. I think it does so to help the dishes dry off without using any electricity. Today I find that the bottom of the worktop in line with the dishwasher door is starting to delaminate. Not all the way along , but about 100mm or so is delaminating quite bady. This feels like a put-the-toothpaste-back-in-the-tube-moment. Is there any way I can glue the laminate back into place?
-
Welcome first of all. I'm only half Jock , so wait til the full-on ones come along. They'll all know. Irrespective of the answers you get from anyone, in each and every case, you must always do your Due Diligence. The term 'professional' is somewhat loose. Anyway, here's chapter and verse.
-
Gloves when handling lead flashing?
ToughButterCup replied to epsilonGreedy's topic in Roofing, Tiling & Slating
OK, hands up: it was a bit of an irritated piddle-take. Someone as intelligent as you asking that question, I thought? Really? Where safety is concerned a flying instructor told me an excellent maxim; If at any part of the flight, you wonder -however idly- whether something is safe; the answer is - its dangerous. Step back - reassess. Same here, I think. As to the YooChube videos, they merely indicate the number of people who either don't know, couldn't care less or both. -
Gloves when handling lead flashing?
ToughButterCup replied to epsilonGreedy's topic in Roofing, Tiling & Slating
Naaaah, lick your hands after to clean them eh? ? Have you ever ever ever seen a lead worker working without gloves? Cos if you did, his missus has a fekkin excellent life insurance policy on him -
and I agree, everyone is being asked to do more with less. My argument is - well in that case don't tell everyone you're going to deliver exactly the same service with less resource. Silence is one of the most powerful weapons in any contest for resources.The mantra becomes Just keep yer head down and the problem will go away, or morph into something else. Our LPA must be coining it at the moment. The Planning Application fees are pouring in : four large development areas round the A6. Everyone and his dog with a spare postage stamp of land thats within sniffing distance of the A6 is planning a new village. Rollo's dad (remember him - large land owner and major player in the local property market ) is '...trying hard not to buy myself a Bentley... there's so much work on at the moment Ian ' Asked if he has an issue talking to Planners - ' I meet them two or three times a week - always do. ' Whats the problem with us plebs then eh?
