-
Posts
7460 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
41
Everything posted by jack
-
Vacuum cleaner recommendations?
jack replied to Jeremy Harris's topic in Kitchen & Household Appliances
What are the main differences?- 81 replies
-
- vacuum cleaner
- hoover
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Opinions on Planning Proposal
jack replied to Ferdinand's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Since bedrooms 3 and 4 are only 2.3 metres wide (and some of that width is presumably not full height), I suspect he's playing the "ask for more and negotiate back to less" approach to planning. Also, the western one seems very big for the area of land allocated to it. Do you know whether the 50% curtilage rule applies in this situation? It might just squeak by even if it does apply, but worth checking. I don't know the rules about leaving a property in a forward gear - does that apply here, given that effectively they're building new houses and defining new plots? -
That's the interesting thing about just about everything he does. He doesn't just speculate in a science fiction sort of way, but looks ahead and takes bold, concrete steps.
- 35 replies
-
- bbc
- bottom line
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
On topic (ish): https://imgur.com/gallery/MDMLh
- 35 replies
-
- bbc
- bottom line
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
I met Juraj (George, I believe he goes by) several years ago when looking at using the architectural practice he worked at. Really nice guy who appears to know his stuff.
- 16 replies
-
- certified passivhaus designer
- architect
- (and 6 more)
-
I think he was talking about lithium sulphur batteries in particular. I agreed completely. I don't use the car anywhere near as often as my wife. When I do get into it, there's a decent chance it's going to be low on fuel, because getting petrol involves an out-of-the way drive which she hates doing. I'm assured that when we get an electric car, she'll plug it in every time she gets out of it. Certainly that behaviour will be reinforced the first few times she realises that an "empty" electric car is going nowhere for a while, because it can't be driven on fumes to the petrol station on the way to wherever she actually wants to go! This is how it will eventually be for all but the rich. Self-driving cars will also be involved in far fewer traffic jams, because they will self-route as a group to avoid them. Tailbacks at merge points will also be reduced, because self-driving cars will optimise their spacing before and afterwards to maximise throughput. There's so much work going on in this space that it's unreal. Self-driving cars are the next mobile-phone-type paradigm shift for society, imo.
- 35 replies
-
- bbc
- bottom line
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
I remember reading that. I'm not sure if it's how the book starts, but I do remember something about aliens being able to understand everything about human behaviour other than why they insist on surrounding themselves in metal boxes before going anywhere. Oh, and that very unexpected death in the middle...
- 35 replies
-
- bbc
- bottom line
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
No, just a very powerful stream.
- 51 replies
-
It's been done several ways: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_transmission#Microwave_power_transmission https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WREL_(technology) Even using ultrasound: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBeam
-
One of the problems with cars is that they tend to concentrate their pollution in cities. Even if efficiency were the same, it would still make sense to consider remote production (enabled by electric cars) in order to make cities safer to live in.
- 35 replies
-
- bbc
- bottom line
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Our younger one is part racehorse, I'm sure.
- 51 replies
-
Great news Lizzie, sounds like a satisfactory outcome on a crappy situation. That said, it's unacceptable to be shouted at in this situation. I know I'm a bit soft, but I'm not sure I could personally work with someone who'd reacted like this to reasonable feedback on unreasonable workmanship. Also, where is your project manager in all of this? Really, having it out with a tradesperson over shoddy workmanship shouldn't be your job! Anyway, well done for standing your ground. I'm pleased he apparently knows how to skim!
-
Our kids virtually never remember to flush the toilet or wash their hands on their own, despite many, many years of pestering.
- 51 replies
-
Genvex purchase
jack replied to Gone West's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
I'm sure that's part of it, especially with the Genvex where you have only a single UK supplier of a relatively unique product. However, the higher prices often seem to exist even where there's more than one supplier of the product, and the product itself is competing with other comparable products. It does seem worse with products (like MVHR) that are still considered somewhat niche in the UK. -
Quick update - I had a closer look at this tonight and note that the lid actually just clears the actuator and rests on the tiles immediately above.
- 51 replies
-
Genvex purchase
jack replied to Gone West's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
Wow, that's a serious amount of money to save. Well done. I'm convinced that we often pay more for continental products because the manufacturers insist on having a local distributor, which adds a further layer of mark-up. There's really no excuse for it costing an additional £3k to buy in the UK compared to Denmark. -
We had to go with this option (seat rests on flush actuator) on all of our toilets. It's mildly annoying having to move the seat forward to flush every time, but not the end of the world. No issues yet from the seat resting on the (plastic) flush actuator.
- 51 replies
-
Starting to think about MVHR
jack replied to MikeGrahamT21's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
Same with us, even down to the same MBC construction. In our house, the upstairs rooms are noticeably cooler in winter, despite us having a very wide and open area above the stairs and a double-height slot along the length of our kitchen/diner. I assume that the low temp UFH downstairs is perhaps not sufficient to get any real convection currents going, so not enough warm air moves upstairs to overcome the cooling effect of the slightly cooler air coming in through the MVHR. -
Welcome Amanda, that sounds like an interesting project. We'd definitely be interested in hearing how you get on. We have polished concrete floors throughout the ground floor of our house. I'm pretty happy with it, although even with sealing we've found it to not wear well in the kitchen (things stain if not wiped up immediately, so that drop of oil that you thought was a drop of water leaves a permanent mark if not wiped off quickly!) For controlling solar gain, I'm sure you know that nothing beats some form of external shading. We have overhangs and external blinds on our west facing windows and they do a sterling job of keeping the worst of the sun out. An adjustable brise soleil that you can periodically change the angle of, and ideally move completely out of the way during the colder months, is a potentially cheaper option for large expanses of glass. For thin walls that are also "solid", you could consider ICF with additional external insulation.
- 16 replies
-
- certified passivhaus designer
- architect
- (and 6 more)
-
Building into a sloping site. Methods and details.
jack replied to Dee J's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Ooh, I remember that one. That's the one where they used a German prefab company to do everything except the cladding, which was handled by a British company. The German company finished on time and on budget, but the cladding still wasn't on months and months later. They also insisted on having a fire, against the advice of the German builder. From memory, they admitted they'd never lit it as the house was always warm enough.- 21 replies
-
- undercroft
- retaining wall
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
+several million
-
It's how you tell them
-
Starting to think about MVHR
jack replied to MikeGrahamT21's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
In our area, we have a very clear prevailing wind direction, partly due to location and partly due to local geography. Subjectively, it seems to blow from there 90% of the time. Perhaps monitor it as best you can over winter in your house and see whether you find something similar? -
Welcome to Buildhub. Really sorry to hear that. Re: credit cards, as I understand it only a portion (but > £100) of the payment needs to be on the card to get full protection. For example, put £200 on credit card and the rest in cash. Also, do start a thread about your search for a manufacturer. @ryder72 is very knowledgeable about the kitchen landscape in the UK and may be able to provide feedback on where you're headed. One other thing: I was told, and it's been my experience, that good fitting makes all the difference. Whatever you do, make sure that the people fitting the kitchen will do a superb job, and that will help tremendously. Sorry your arrival here is under such painful circumstances. Hopefully it'll all work out for you in the end.
-
Agree with all that. The problem here is the result of the project manager's choice of tradespeople. What's the point in googling plasterers - why doesn't your PM have at least one, and ideally two or three, teams he can call on? You shouldn't be expected to go onsite at 7:30 to tell people how to do their jobs. That's your PM's job - otherwise what are you paying him for? You're getting to that stage of the build where things will be on show. I still wince most days at some of the tiling and skirting boards in our house. Others may not notice, but you will, and that's why getting this right now is so important, even if it slows things down. All the very, very best. Do feel free to come on here and rant at any time - you'll get a lot of sympathy from those of us who've been there!
