Wasps, 4 fox ache

Literally just come back off 2 weeks 'time away' to find 50+ dead wasps all over the bedroom and ensuite. 

Quite possibly there's a nest in the new loft section. Which is a PITA in itself as I was going to insulate, board and shelve it soon.

expect some ACME Inc DIY wasp extermination in the coming days. Oh and BFO house spiders. I've t***ted 2 in less than an hour that were 2" across :o

I feel for you ref the wasps. Got used to having the garage tidy & accessible but going in there now and a good half dozen swarm around the fluorescent lights and get quite agressive. 

But what eats wasps? Spiders! 

Man up and catch the spiders with a pint glass and piece of card humanely and put them in the loft! xD

Btw conkers are supposed to deter spiders.

Spiders inside have the use of:

a - Convincing your girlf that you are a hero.

b - Allowing your girlf to convince you she thinks you are a hero as a diversion from something else you won't discover until it is a done deal.

Choose A or B.

Agreed on wasps, particularly stepping on underground nests. We have far too many flies this year, which we deter using big bunches of mint in water replaced every 2-3 weeks.

Do wasps deter bats?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 2

I was cladding my last gable end with the wood fibre board. I came back up the scaffold and there were two wasps trying to get in where I had just fitted a sheet. and more and more of the bu99ers arrived looking for a way in.  I suspect a nest between the sarking and the roof tiles.  I emptied a whole can of raid squirting it into any crack or minute gap I could find.

1 hour ago, jfb said:

I don't know if wasps deter bats, but I do know that bats deter mosquitoes!

Give me wasps over bats any day!!

Mind you I REALLY don't like flying stinging things. I'd be straight on the phone to pest control!

We've had quite a few hornets in the garden this year, I think there must be a nest in our adjacent woodland. They scare the bejesus out of me!

Found another 2"-er. Trapped in the bowl of the the food mixer. Wifey not impressed :lol:

Tidied up the wasps a bit better today and liberally sprayed Raid. Not seen any buggers since.  

In between a few little jobs like soap dishes and bog roll holders 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, Onoff said:

A few still around in my garage. Good excuse not to go in and tidy up! :)

Luckily (?) the loft has not been insulated yet but it's getting cold this week so really I want to get up there, clear whatever mess and lay some insulation even if it's only  100mm to start with.

I was stung by one (a wasp, not a newt) on the back of the hand just over a week ago.  No idea where it came from, and I smacked the blighter so hard when it stung me that I'm not sure where it went either!  Took a week for the swelling to go down and the wound itself is still inflamed and itchy.

Poor me. :D

I do high intensity training three times a week and can't recall whether it's made a difference, but that might because I'm usually in a coma by the end of each session! 

Will take notes when I go again tomorrow!

Ha, haven't read Viz for years.  Every year at the airport when heading off on hols, I used to buy Classic & Sports Car, Viz and Private Eye, and slowly read them over the course of the holiday.  I haven't bothered with Viz since the kids came along (particularly since they learned to read!)  

I walked face-first into a massive spider's web when I was about 11.  I freaked out, and in the course of pulling at the spider's web, managed to wake up the wasps in the nest to which the main anchor thread was attached!  Thankfully only one of them got me despite the number buzzing around, but I still remember how much it hurt.