Heras fencing

Paid £12 per panel set (fence, foot, connector) and £50 delivery, used good condition from eventscrew.com who tend to have loads available after festival season ends, don't know about right now.

How much you need, where are you?

I ended up ringing around a couple of places that hire fencing for events.  One near me was selling used panel sets (panel, two clamps, one foot) for £15 each.  These hire places seem to replace their hire stock fairly regularly, so might be worth asking around.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Do you actually need heras fencing? I have a rural plot  which is a gate to enter the plot. Then the house will be built 150m from the access. 

It has been mentioned about adding security fencing...but I'm not sure what it would do. If someone comes creeping late at night (we are 300m) from.nearest house and wont be living on site then we wouldn't know (until we have power) so not sure the heras would do anything. 

Is there any good legal or similar reason you really need it? 

Depends on your site insurance.  Ours required the site to be physically secured, with signage etc to try to keep people out.  The main issue is probably that you (or your insurer) carries the can in terms of responsibility in the event that someone breaks into the site and injures themselves.  Sounds daft, but it seems that this is the way liability works.  I remember being amazed at being told that I had to remove the lower ten feet or so of a fixed access ladder up a 100ft antenna mast.  I argued that the mast was inside a fenced compound, but the assessor was adamant that we had to fit a removable ladder section, in case someone climbed over the fence, climbed the tower and suffered an injury.  Barking mad in my view, but then so is a fair bit of the liability stuff we now have to manage.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

Do you actually need heras fencing? I have a rural plot  which is a gate to enter the plot. Then the house will be built 150m from the access. 

It has been mentioned about adding security fencing...but I'm not sure what it would do. If someone comes creeping late at night (we are 300m) from.nearest house and wont be living on site then we wouldn't know (until we have power) so not sure the heras would do anything. 

Is there any good legal or similar reason you really need it? 

Can't say on the insurance.

But similar length for our access and before I started locking the house. I would park the car at the front of the gates if we had materials on site and that provided sufficient security to me.

P1080581.thumb.JPG.21ea7cbc3656917538bf67b3623b1cf2.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

Do you actually need heras fencing?

Our site insurance didn't mention it so we didn't use it. We lived on site and are out in the sticks and it was a few years ago. Any deep holes we roped up so it was difficult to fall down.

10 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Depends on your site insurance.  Ours required the site to be physically secured, with signage etc to try to keep people out.  The main issue is probably that you (or your insurer) carries the can in terms of responsibility in the event that someone breaks into the site and injures themselves.  Sounds daft, but it seems that this is the way liability works.  I remember being amazed at being told that I had to remove the lower ten feet or so of a fixed access ladder up a 100ft antenna mast.  I argued that the mast was inside a fenced compound, but the assessor was adamant that we had to fit a removable ladder section, in case someone climbed over the fence, climbed the tower and suffered an injury.  Barking mad in my view, but then so is a fair bit of the liability stuff we now have to manage.

We have similar in water industry - different locks and systems within compounds. It's to stop people getting to areas they shouldn't, E.g. you might have somebody authorised to access a site to deliver materials or check equipment at ground level... But not access heights or confined spaces. This is why you have another level of access protection in place, you can't trust your employees or contractors to be sensible.

And this comes from somebody who likes to climb to top of water towers lol.

To @eandg you don't specifically need to use security fencing, our site is bounded by a thick hedge on three sides and river on fourth, the broker was happy enough for this to constitute site integrity. Basically you need enough for somebody wandering off and walking on to your site. Block off any holes in hedges or fences with panels, and the main access point any that will be more than enough. I only needed three panels at £22 each and three feet blocks. All delivered for less than £100 so pretty small change in the grand scheme of things. Already have a plan for the panels after the build as growing supports in my veg garden.

Edited by Conor

3 hours ago, Conor said:

To @eandg you don't specifically need to use security fencing, our site is bounded by a thick hedge on three sides and river on fourth, the broker was happy enough for this to constitute site integrity. Basically you need enough for somebody wandering off and walking on to your site.

That's good, I am completely enclosed by a wire fence (it was a small field for livestock. There is literally no way you could get on the site without knowing it  

10 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

That's good, I am completely enclosed by a wire fence (it was a small field for livestock. There is literally no way you could get on the site without knowing it  

Similar here, a few layers of barbed livestock and a Loch at the front make some additional handy security features. 

I wanted a long access as Skye can be busy in the tourist season. We close the gates and we don't see anybody.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

I wanted a long access as Skye can be busy in the tourist season. We close the gates and we don't see anybody.

Sounds great. That's what I want, the three Ns, no near neighbours.:)

• Like 1