Spend a Penny

wozza

My Nan always used the phrase, "Spend a Penny"

I have received a few quotes for the extension we are building, one quote that we got reminded me of my Nan and how she always used to say that phrase. 

The quote is for the ground works and is estimated to take 5 weeks.

Now I know that prices have increased, inflation has risen, people have to earn a living, etc but I almost spat out my tea as I read this particular quote.

image.png.3c29454e9d5f33ef10f93dca234cb977.png

If 3 blokes were on the job and they each pooped twice a day - that would be £8.16 a poop!     Wonder what my nan would say to that?

A local company has quoted me £22 a week for a construction Portaloo.

As ours was being built, we lived 2 doors down the road, so I simply informed the builders that the loo at our house was available.  Most of them chose just to go behind a tree (No 1's only of course).  This actually seems quite common up here, many an individual new build I have worked on one "makes their own arrangements"

For what they want for their portaloo hire, you could buy a cheap old touring caravan, and that gives you a chemical toilet, somewhere to sit down and brew a cup of tea etc, and a bit of dry storage, what is generally given the label of a "welfare unit" these days. And you would have it for the entire build not just 5 weeks.

5 minutes ago, wozza said:

My Nan always used the phrase, "Spend a Penny"

I have received a few quotes for the extension we are building, one quote that we got reminded me of my Nan and how she always used to say that phrase. 

The quote is for the ground works and is estimated to take 5 weeks.

Now I know that prices have increased, inflation has risen, people have to earn a living, etc but I almost spat out my tea as I read this particular quote.

image.png.3c29454e9d5f33ef10f93dca234cb977.png

If 3 blokes were on the job and they each pooped twice a day - that would be £8.16 a poop!     Wonder what my nan would say to that?

A local company has quoted me £22 a week for a construction Portaloo.

I’m going to be shot down

BUT

i bought a portaloo for 180 two years ago and have emptied it twice £50 per go 

We will emptie it in a couple of weeks and sell it on

Plenty of chemicals each week

Ive worked on conversion and self builds and been told to use the local pub or supermarket 

I had a second hand bog, so built a timber framed loo out of old timbet and clad it in OSB and old weatherboard. I positioned it next to a convenient inspection chamber. Total cost nil.....

Edited by Triassic

Someone here (may have been @ProDave I think) suggested that buying a cheap chemical bog and putting it in the house as soon as the shell was up would be a much cheaper option.  For those with a treatment plant, emptying it as required wouldn't be a hassle, although I suspect the blue stuff doesn't do the aerobic bacteria in the plant a world of good.

Guest Alphonsox
16 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Someone here (may have been @ProDave I think) suggested that buying a cheap chemical bog and putting it in the house as soon as the shell was up would be a much cheaper option.  For those with a treatment plant, emptying it as required wouldn't be a hassle, although I suspect the blue stuff doesn't do the aerobic bacteria in the plant a world of good.

We did this at the start of the build but it was never used - The alfresco experience seemed to be preferred. We replaced it with an ultra cheap porcelain version as soon as water and treatment plant were available

Yes, if that price quoted is the actually price then steer well clear. I hired our loo for £25 per week which includes a weekly service. It has been well used by all and even when it ended up on its back recently due to exceptionally high winds, the hire company had a replacement on site within 90 minutes.

We did this ...  Bought the cheapest loo from one of the sheds, plumbed it into the main sewer, we had an old Khyam shelter that we erected over the top of it, shoved some handwipes and loo roll in it and it was good to go. I did however make the hubby clean it! ? ? ?

C8A92198-F03B-4FAE-B440-3C9A270206B6.jpeg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, newhome said:

We did this ...  Bought the cheapest loo from one of the sheds, plumbed it into the main sewer, we had an old Khyam shelter that we erected over the top of it, shoved some handwipes and loo roll in it and it was good to go. I did however make the hubby clean it! ? ? ?

That's fairly extreme ... installing before the walls.

A non-embarrassable workforce, and a neighbour who is a compulsory connoisseur in builders' cleavage.

20 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

That's fairly extreme ... installing before the walls.

A non-embarrassable workforce, and a neighbour who is a compulsory connoisseur in builders' cleavage.

Crap idea ?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, newhome said:

No problems with that cistern I bet. You should have left it in! :)

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

As ours was being built, we lived 2 doors down the road, so I simply informed the builders that the loo at our house was available.  Most of them chose just to go behind a tree (No 1's only of course).  This actually seems quite common up here, many an individual new build I have worked on one "makes their own arrangements"

My build is in the garden of my current place - in 6 months on site, (with the initial build)1 lad came in once nearly every day, another came in perhaps twice a week. other than that alfresco was the choice.

Since I have had 'interior workers' in, then the loo has been used more frequently.  It was the plasterer's first request most days.  He had a 40 min drive to get here and was on site by 8 am.

It was my spark that I found most amusing though.  He would come in for a pee (bearing in mind this is a bungalow) and wouldn't even bother to shut the door.  LOL