Through Cavity Mailbox.....Recommendations?

Rob99

Apologies if this isn't the right place to post this. Didn't seem any obvious other places....

My wife is adamant we're not having a letterbox in either the front door nor the glazed sidescreen. I don't want an external mailbox stuck on the wall so we're going to have a through the wall letterbox fitted through the cavity wall adjacent to the front door screen.

Have looked around but there only seem to be a few places that do them. I would have thought there'd be much more out there.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Rob

Lots on Amazon. 

I have mine set into one of my gate pillars (postie cant get through the gates as I don't have it set for trade entrance) I didn't want anything visible on the outside other than the letter slot. I went for the Stamford as it was the one that fitted the depth of my brick pillar.

Glencall do quite a range not sure if there would be anything to suit your TF house wall.  https://www.glencall.co.uk/1gi/king/stamford-menu.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob99 said:

Is that true @Onoff or is someone pulling my leg?

It's a wind up mate! For every 100 or so ideas I start probably 99 and finish 1.

I'm going to have to have the mailbox within my sliding gate I think as there's a steel running up through where the pillars are.

Concept, Aug 2012:

g_001

June 2014:

SAM_8558

And that's as far as I've got!

Anway, traditional mail services will have been replaced by matter transportation by the time it'd take me! :)

Worth a punt on here to find someone local who'll make you something bespoke:

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/

Edited by Onoff

Thanks @Onoff that's a serious gate you have there....!!!!

Glassfibre is an interesting idea @PeterStarck but not sure how easy it would be as I guess some sort of mould would be needed. All the ones I've seen seem to be sheet metal of some description.

Thanks @Bitpipe like the look of their letterboxes, especially as I can have them in powder coated aluminium (Anthracite) to match our front door. Good price too compared to some others I have seen.

8 hours ago, Rob99 said:

Glassfibre is an interesting idea @PeterStarck but not sure how easy it would be as I guess some sort of mould would be needed. All the ones I've seen seem to be sheet metal of some description.

I don't think you'd need a mould. Cut flashing, glue in place (bit of OSB underneath to support), then glass fibre and resin inside to finish.

You'd still need an external flap and a way of finishing the inside neatly, but this would give you a low thermal bridge way of making a chute through the cavity.

On 10/09/2018 at 09:28, Bitpipe said:

We bought the F-04 model from these guys (via Amazon or eBay, can't recall).

https://www.letterbox24.de/

Well made unit and was easy to build into the block wall.

Oops, I misread the original post. Our postbox is in the garden wall next to gates so does not need to be airtight or thermally efficient.

51 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Oops, I misread the original post. Our postbox is in the garden wall next to gates so does not need to be airtight or thermally efficient.

Thanks @Bitpipe it was still a useful pointer. I quite like their  D-041 cavity wall box though.

Would you be able to measure what the actual opening size is for the letter flap as it's not on their website. I wanted to see what size parcel might fit through it.

11 hours ago, jack said:

I don't think you'd need a mould. Cut flashing, glue in place (bit of OSB underneath to support), then glass fibre and resin inside to finish.

You'd still need an external flap and a way of finishing the inside neatly, but this would give you a low thermal bridge way of making a chute through the cavity.

That's got me thinking a bit more @jack as to whether some sort of foam sandwich might work.........one to ponder 

1 hour ago, Rob99 said:

Thanks @Bitpipe it was still a useful pointer. I quite like their  D-041 cavity wall box though.

Would you be able to measure what the actual opening size is for the letter flap as it's not on their website. I wanted to see what size parcel might fit through it.

35mm x 220mm - fine for A4 letters but too thin for parcels.

I need to figure what to do about parcels, amazon etc once I get the gates fitted....

I am following this discussion with interest. I too am interested in a through-the-wall chute, external and through a gate pillar or fence section. I too am concerned about parcels and would like a larger letter plate so at least small parcels will pass, preferably bigger ones too. I am also considering a separate parcel box of some form. Nothing I have seen so far quite meets the needs.

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

35mm x 220mm - fine for A4 letters but too thin for parcels.

I need to figure what to do about parcels, amazon etc once I get the gates fitted....

Thanks @Bitpipe considering the face plate is so big (160x350mm) it's a very small opening especially when the chute itself is 110x300mm but the opening only 35x220mm.

1 hour ago, Dreadnaught said:

I am also considering a separate parcel box of some form. Nothing I have seen so far quite meets the needs.

I've looked into these too. They aren't perfect, but they're okay for small parcel deliveries.

11 hours ago, Rob99 said:

Thanks @Bitpipe considering the face plate is so big (160x350mm) it's a very small opening especially when the chute itself is 110x300mm but the opening only 35x220mm.

I shamelessly went for aesthetic over utility :)

We chose it primarily as it was depth adjustable and has a nice large door at the back. Has fitted nicely into a double skin block wall.

Really no idea what to do about parcels. I fully expect them to be flung over the hedge .... 

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

I shamelessly went for aesthetic over utility :)

We chose it primarily as it was depth adjustable and has a nice large door at the back. Has fitted nicely into a double skin block wall.

Really no idea what to do about parcels. I fully expect them to be flung over the hedge .... 

Yes, I liked the look of them too and the fact I could have one with a RAL7016 anthracite finish to match our new aluminium front door.

Our deliveries now seem to be dumped on our doorstep and it's pot luck whether the driver rings the doorbell or just runs away........!!!