Can anyone recommend a laser level?

K78

I need a laser level that I can use outdoors as well as indoors. 

I’ve had a look on Screwfix and Argos and there are quite a few options. Green laser seems more expensive than red, but I read it is less visible outdoors?

Its not something I want to invest a huge amount into, as I won’t use it often. But I don’t want to buy anything useless. As anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks

I have a Leica - this one. https://www.screwfix.com/p/leica-rugby-610-self-levelling-rotary-laser-level/3417G?kpid=3417G&ds_kid=92700022885079543&ds_rl=1249796&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249484&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3d7W0d6p3QIVB5ztCh1jpwYXEAQYASABEgKOOfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJWisNzeqd0CFdiPGwod7vQE-Q but I paid a lot less than this price and I got the +/- 50mm reciever. It's great it works in the rain and the brightest sunlight the only thing to watch out for is reflections off glass as you can get some very weird readings.

8 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I have a Leica - this one. https://www.screwfix.com/p/leica-rugby-610-self-levelling-rotary-laser-level/3417G?kpid=3417G&ds_kid=92700022885079543&ds_rl=1249796&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249484&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3d7W0d6p3QIVB5ztCh1jpwYXEAQYASABEgKOOfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJWisNzeqd0CFdiPGwod7vQE-Q but I paid a lot less than this price and I got the +/- 50mm reciever. It's great it works in the rain and the brightest sunlight the only thing to watch out for is reflections off glass as you can get some very weird readings.

That looks really good. I bought a Leica laser measuring “tape” around 12 years ago. It’s really good and clearly visible in bright sunlight at 50m. 

I’m reluctant to spend too much as I won’t use it once my build is complete. I need it for a 12m wall foundation. 

1 hour ago, K78 said:

I’m reluctant to spend too much as I won’t use it once my build is complete. I need it for a 12m wall foundation

Is this just to set a level at certain points ..??

I would use a water level, or hire a theodolite and staff and do it with that. 

• Like 1

I have a Stanley cross-line laser: discussion here: https://edavies.me.uk/2016/03/laser-level/ It's OK but before buying now I'd try one of the much cheaper ones from Lidl first. Useless in daylight, though as mentioned there using a reflective surface can help a lot. Best to do some marking out jobs at night: https://edavies.me.uk/2018/06/gable-start/ .

I have a good rotating one like the one mike sharpe mentioned, the thing to do is buy the best you can, look after it and sell it when you are finished, 

i think you will find a good quality one will sell better than a cheap one. 

Leica have always been a very good brand for anything like this. 

If you want to save a couple of quid, don’t buy the tripod or the staff

you need the laser and receiver 

tripod can be replaced by setting up on a pile of blocks

staff can be replaced with a nice piece of 2x1 painted white so you can write your own marks on it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, K78 said:

I’ve had a look on Screwfix and Argos and there are quite a few options. Green laser seems more expensive than red, but I read it is less visible outdoors?

Its not something I want to invest a huge amount into, as I won’t use it often. But I don’t want to buy anything useless. As anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks

If you are going to use it outdoors Red are useles without a detector

Green are far better 

I’ve a green Hilti rotary which was the very first green laser on the market

Still works perfectly 

I also have a couple of Hilti line lasers in green 

Great value at £300 Two years guarantee Free recalibration within that period 

and when you have finished with it 

It will sell all day long at £200 on eBay 

Bosch and Dewalt are ok

Id stay away from the cheaper ones 

Ok for hanging a picture or two

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies and advice. 

My suggested one for a 12m x 1.6m formed concrete wall foundation were doing. My thinking is that it will be useful throughout the build as most of it will be diy. 

Im leaning towards durisol but the companies communication isn’t very good which is concerning. 

Ian (recovering academic) had been really helpful. 

17 hours ago, K78 said:

I am in a similar situation to you and have got by as follows:

A friendly semi retired local builder loaned me his £500 caliber rotary laser.  Really easy to use but would have been better with a graduated staff and a mini spirit level built in. Not sure hiring is an economic option because if like me you are learning on the job you will work at a slow rate and keep rechecking everything over days or weeks.

Now that the rotating laser has been returned I am using a £140 DeWalt line laser outdoors late in the evening. With a bit of cloud cover I can pick up the red line on a staff 12m away an hour before sun set. You need to be careful about dazzling people offsite when using this technique, keep it low or use obstructions to sector the beam to keep it onsite.

3 hours ago, K78 said:

Thanks for all the replies and advice. 

My suggested one for a 12m x 1.6m formed concrete wall foundation were doing. My thinking is that it will be useful throughout the build as most of it will be diy. 

Im leaning towards durisol but the companies communication isn’t very good which is concerning. 

Ian (recovering academic) had been really helpful. 

Think the water level will do what you need it to do quite easily for the wall.

When it comes to do the house hire a proper rotating laser level and go round each corner and drive a nail in so all the nails at each corner are level. Then as you build moves up you can use a tape and see how close you are after every 3/4 course. 

• Like 1