Chipboard or something else?

Trw144

Need to get my first floor flooring down this weekend as the ufh has been laid. Quick question as I need to order it asap in the morning..

Floor build up is currently joists, osb, 25mm battens with knauf insulation between, ufh spreader plates. Leaving the chipboard and final wooden floor to go on.

The question is, is standard chipboard ok or are there better choices. I ve heard of weyroc mentioned - was nt sure if this was just a brand or an entirely different product.  The house is watertight if that makes a difference to the answer.

No rush in your answers but I need to know for the morning to get it in time!

Edited by Trw144

I wouldn't go with standard chipboard. I'd go for the moisture resistant stuff, standard chipboard is like a sponge. Glue the joints to prevent any later squeak and screw down well. Also I like the 22mm stuff, feels nice and solid over 18mm.

http://www.jewson.co.uk/timber/sheet-materials/chipboard/flooring-chipboard/products/FH22C4TA/moisture-resistant-caberdek-chipboard-22-x-600-x-2400mm/

the only down side is its darn heavy :(

When I met my architect last week we discussed floor joists and he said his house had flooring nailed down and it all sqeaks, I always screw flooring down and glue joins = no squeaks

8 minutes ago, joe90 said:

When I met my architect last week we discussed floor joists and he said his house had flooring nailed down and it all sqeaks, I always screw flooring down and glue joins = no squeaks

That is what I am planning to do in my new house as squeaking floors like we have at present will not be allowed.

18 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

the only down side is its darn heavy :(

Not too much of a worry for me as I m on holiday til next week and just have to order the stuff and arrange chippies. ?

Final floor is some going to be engineered wooden flooring - I have ordered samples for when I get home.

I ll ask the chippies to glue and screw the floor. I think it's 22mm but will double check my drawings. Would you suggest a 50mm screw would be about right or should I go a little longer and screw into the osb below the battens?

2 minutes ago, Trw144 said:

Not too much of a worry for me as I m on holiday til next week and just have to order the stuff and arrange chippies. ?

Final floor is some going to be engineered wooden flooring - I have ordered samples for when I get home.

I ll ask the chippies to glue and screw the floor. I think it's 22mm but will double check my drawings. Would you suggest a 50mm screw would be about right or should I go a little longer and screw into the osb below the battens?

I am planning something like 75mm screws, to screw the boards, batten, osb and into the actual joist, to pull the whole sandwich together to avoid squeaks.

We screwed most, but not all, of our power-nailed 22mm OSB upstairs floors.  The areas where we didn't add screws have already developed a couple of minor squeaks after a year.  Thankfully it's mainly the guest bedroom, which I'll only rarely have to go into again once we move back into our bedroom when the ceiling's been replaced.

We used these: http://www.screwfix.com/p/spax-flooring-screws-4-5-x-60mm-300-pack/88716  They use a special bit (supplied) that doesn't slip.  They drive in very nicely with an impact driver.  

My first floor is 22mm water resistant T&G chipboard which is glued and nailed with 50mm ring shank nails at 100mm spacing into the metal web joists. I'm laying a floating strand bamboo floor on top with a thin underlay.

Done - caberfloor p5 ordered. £7.10 a sheet.

Just checked and osb sub floor was nailed - would therefore try and screw through this into the joists but as my battens run perpendicular to my joists, I m unlikely to find them again.  I will have to settle for screwing through the battens into the osb.

Will now get on the case of the screws and glue.

Any idea on glue quantity?

Screws I was going to assume 150mm centres - so 64 per 2.4 x 0.6 sheet? Is this overkill?

Edited by Trw144

Thats a lot of screws !! What are your batten spacings..?? If its 600mm then you will get 24 at most.

For 78m2 of flooring, my supplier has quoted for 13x 500ml D4 glue - thats to do the board to joist and all T&G

12 hours ago, jack said:

We screwed most, but not all, of our power-nailed 22mm OSB upstairs floors.  The areas where we didn't add screws have already developed a couple of minor squeaks after a year.  Thankfully it's mainly the guest bedroom, which I'll only rarely have to go into again once we move back into our bedroom when the ceiling's been replaced.

We used these: http://www.screwfix.com/p/spax-flooring-screws-4-5-x-60mm-300-pack/88716  They use a special bit (supplied) that doesn't slip.  They drive in very nicely with an impact driver.  

We did the same, MBC nailed and glued it initially and then went back over with screws at 400mm centers - we've only had one squeak and that looked to be a joist moving in its hangar, has now gone away.

43 minutes ago, Trw144 said:

Screws I was going to assume 150mm centres - so 64 per 2.4 x 0.6 sheet? Is this overkill?

I think I did about every 300-400mm on ours.  Seems fine.

Just now, Bitpipe said:

We did the same, MBC nailed and glued it initially and then went back over with screws at 400mm centers - we've only had one squeak and that looked to be a joist moving in its hangar, has now gone away.

Hmm, they didn't glue ours.  Wish I'd asked them to now!

It's possible that the couple of squeaks I've detected aren't actually floorboards.  I've assumed so just because of how localised they are.

1 minute ago, jack said:

I think I did about every 300-400mm on ours.  Seems fine.

Hmm, they didn't glue ours.  Wish I'd asked them to now!

It's possible that the couple of squeaks I've detected aren't actually floorboards.  I've assumed so just because of how localised they are.

Our squeak only materialised after the joiner had laid the 9mm and 12mm ply in preparation for the resin ground floor. It was glued and screwed at 400 centers but there was a distinct squeak near the patio door, so we pulled up a few boards to investigate (and managed to clip a UFH pipe in the process). Looked like a joist was moving 1-2mm against a steel  - was too late to do anything there and then as the ceiling below had been plastered. Laying the ply had probably highlighted the issue as it had pulled the whole floor surface tight.

Funnily enough, now the resin has been poured, the squeak is gone.

We realised just how well laid the 22mm deck was when we lifted a section for the wetroom former in the ensuite - was a real fight to get it off, even after getting all the screws out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Trw144 said:

Need to get my first floor flooring down this weekend as the ufh has been laid. Quick question as I need to order it asap in the morning..

Floor build up is currently joists, osb, 25mm battens with knauf insulation between, ufh spreader plates. Leaving the chipboard and final wooden floor to go on.

The question is, is standard chipboard ok or are there better choices. I ve heard of weyroc mentioned - was nt sure if this was just a brand or an entirely different product.  The house is watertight if that makes a difference to the answer.

No rush in your answers but I need to know for the morning to get it in time!

Serious warning.

DO NOT skimp on water resistant underfloor in the bathroom, loo etc. Our previous owner who renovated seems to have cut this corner, and we now have entire rows of cracked tiles on very neat 8x4 centres.

Ferdinand

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Serious warning.

DO NOT skimp on water resistant underfloor in the bathroom, loo etc. Our previous owner who renovated seems to have cut this corner, and we now have entire rows of cracked tiles on very neat 8x4 centres.

Ferdinand

I assumed I d marine ply over the chipboard in these areas prior to tiling. Is this sufficient?

Late to the party but I used 22mm chipboard straight onto joists at 400mm centres and the Spax flooring screws jack linked. I DIDN'T glue the joints. Floor is a solid as a rock and no squeaks whatsoever!

1 hour ago, Trw144 said:

What spacing on the screws?

and will 60mm be sufficient. Would put me 10mm into the osb sub floor.

D'you mean me?

I "lined" our old step down into, boot room / coal shed type thing. BEFORE I had ever heard of eBuild etc. I brought the floor up in mass concrete (no UFH! >:() then made a "stud" wall o/of 4"x2" laid it on the concrete floor sitting on slivers of ply packed to suit and glued. Just 4" of fluffy stuff then 22mm chip. Looks to be about 300mm ctrs on the screws? Solider than a solid thing I kid you not and not a squeak from it. Like walking on a concrete floor tbh. From memory the floor was all through housed and glued /screwed too & not a nail in sight. Angular ring nails are the spawn of the Devil.

(AND.....it's as clean under the floor as it is on top.....just 'effin COLD! xD)

P3220015_zpsa7f60e30.JPG

Just now, Onoff said:

D'you mean me?

I "lined" our old step down into, boot room / coal shed type thing. BEFORE I had ever heard of eBuild etc. I brought the floor up in mass concrete (no UFH! >:() then made a "stud" wall o/of 4"x2" laid it on the concrete floor sitting on slivers of ply packed to suit and glued. Just 4" of fluffy stuff then 22mm chip. Looks to be about 300mm ctrs on the screws? Solider than a solid thing I kid you not and not a squeak from it. Like walking on a concrete floor tbh. From memory the floor was all through housed and glued /screwed too & not a nail in sight. Angular ring nails are the spawn of the Devil.

(AND.....it's as clean under the floor as it is on top.....just 'effin COLD! xD)

P3220015_zpsa7f60e30.JPG

EDIT: Those SPAX flooring screws are the best thing ever. Very clever design the way they work too.

Yes, sorry, should have addressed the message.

I m going to go with 300mm centres on the screws so about 30 per board, plus glue to battens and joints. 60mm putting me 13 mm into the osb. Let's see if screwfix have 3000 in stock.....

Edited by Trw144