The joy of ex-display

I think I have just got the bargain of the century.

Victoria & Albert Ionian limestone bath list price £3215

V & A Tubo 14 freestanding bath tap & shower list price £1495

V & A waste Kit17 list price £350

Total £5060

I have bought the lot ex-display for £695

Would anyone really be mad enough to spend £5k on a bath & tap????

It appears not. The display has been in the showroom for nearly 2 yrs & they have not sold one, which is why they are changing the display to something they may stand a chance of selling.

Got a couple of other good bargains.

A Roper Rhodes Serrif Light Ash vanity unit with isocast basin & tap & waste £1200 for £495

A Duravit console with basin & waste £1895 for £550 & they threw in the £400 Crosswater tap as well after some persuasion.

Never thought I would be able to have anything like this so chuffed to bits.

Got a lovely DAR opaque glass chandelier type thing as well for £200 instead of £460.:):):)

IMG_20160917_125234.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Lizzie.

It has just been delivered & put in the garage (no delivery charge either)

It came out of the local Buildstore showroom believe it or not.

Maybe the customer shopping for that type of thing wouldn't instantly have thought of a builders merchants.

I know I wouldn't. I was in there looking for something at a tenth of the price.

I am at work, can't wait to see it & verify I wasn't dreaming.

There are pics of it on Sanctuary bathrooms website.

Even better, who would have thought the builders merchants!  

Looked at Sanctuary, bath looks fabulous, a real luxury bath.  A few candles and a glass of bubby and you will let the cares float away.

Will you have to strengthen floor for it?

3 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Even better, who would have thought the builders merchants!  

Looked at Sanctuary, bath looks fabulous, a real luxury bath.  A few candles and a glass of bubby and you will let the cares float away.

Will you have to strengthen floor for it?

My plumber & his Dad put it in the garage for me & said no heavier than a good quality normal bath.

Also the bottom of it is not solid, there is a void of about 5" before the bottom of the underside of the bath.

QUARRYCAST®QC_80K_TM

A naturally superior bath: It may sound obvious, but not all baths are created equally. At Victoria + Albert we are passionate about our unique QUARRYCAST® material.

QUARRYCAST® is made from finely ground Volcanic Limestone™ mixed with resin. As the stone-rich alternative to both cast iron and acrylic it is 100% one piece, hand finished and packed with naturally desirable properties:

Warm Due to the quality of the QUARRYCAST® material it has high insulation properties and is warm to the touch

Beautiful TheVolcanic Limestone™ mineral delivers a naturally white, gloss finish, featuring excellent stain resistance

Strong This raw material has special needle-like particles formed by the rock undergoing superheating. When mixed with resins these bond together to create an incredibly strong web. As well as being naturally white and naturally harder than acrylic, this makes QUARRYCAST® incredibly strong and ensures no creaking or flexing of the bath

Renewable Easy clean solid surface – as the material is solid all the way through, internal scratches simply polish out

Practical Drillable for unique brassware installation

Unique Hand finished interior — exterior can be painted or personalised after purchase

Lasting 25 year consumer guarantee

Who knew?

• Like 1

Obviously the builder gets a trade price at the merchant not the comedy rrp. Just needs to find a willing victim, sorry customer who thinks they’re getting a 5 grand bath and he can keep the 2 grand ‘discount’. 

The honest building trade for you...

6 minutes ago, daiking said:

Obviously the builder gets a trade price at the merchant not the comedy rrp. Just needs to find a willing victim, sorry customer who thinks they’re getting a 5 grand bath and he can keep the 2 grand ‘discount’.  

I am not really bothered what BS paid for it & I have found it elsewhere on the net on sale for £1800 ( Personally I wouldn't have paid more than £700 for any bath as that was my top budget)

It is soooo much nicer that the one I was looking at from Victoria Plumb for £599.

To be honest I don't really like the tap but as it is included in the £695 I'll happily live with it.

17 minutes ago, daiking said:

I think it’s the same everywhere not just in the building trade. And there is often price fixing in the retail world in general even though it’s illegal. Having said that I do expect retailers to make a profit! 

47 minutes ago, Onoff said:

If anyone can point me to a Vado Summit bath mixer tap, with or without shower take off, for peanuts or less I'd be a very happy chap!

download.jpeg.e61d4c43168f53991993c8c6e98382bd.jpeg

Sorry, no.

Edited by Ferdinand

Wow what a bargain. Thought I did well with ours but thats a win alright.

In case of interest... We used quite a long flexible pipe between the trap under the bath and the rigid pipe in the wall/floor. That allows us to move the bath about to clean between it and the wall. Think the pipe came from a marine supplies shop.

15 hours ago, Temp said:

In case of interest... We used quite a long flexible pipe between the trap under the bath and the rigid pipe in the wall/floor. That allows us to move the bath about to clean between it and the wall. Think the pipe came from a marine supplies shop.

Thanks for the tip, but, this bath will be too heavy to move.

Hands & knees job but I should have room to clean behind it.

16 hours ago, Temp said:

The instructions for my free standing bath said to use a flexi waste. I detested the idea of that.  Instead I used a fixed waste, connecting the trap and a short bit of pipe to the bath then lowering it into it's surround, them making the connection from below.

It means if I ever have to remove the bath, I will have to cut a trap in the ceiling of the utility room below, but that is preferable to a flexi waste.  And to try and avoid the need to ever need to service the bath I used a top access waste, not a remote control one (with bits under the bath to go wrong) and a floor standing bath filler.

@ProDave thats exactly what we did with the freestanding bath in our last house.

@Moira Niedzwiecka I had the gap between wall and bath to clean behind on hands and knees too, reaching in the narrow space the length of the bath was a challenge. Eventually I found a long handled thing designed for cleaning wall tiles (removable microfibre pads) that was just the right size to do the job.  From Lakeland I think.

There is another delightfully simple option which occurs in Scandinavia but would not impress Hyacinth B - have a grill in the floor and do not necessarily connect it at all.

Here are a few variations on the theme, including a couple of horrors with drainage pipes. I love the simplicity and would have one in my own house, but it might not work for other people. 

rustic-scandinavian-bathroom.jpg

black-and-white-scandinavian-bathroom.jp

contemporary-scandinavian-bathroom.jpg

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Brave man that would suggest installing it that way!!

I think it is because Scandy houses tend to be designed to have bathrooms with wetfloors and have a drainage grill in the floor, without paying much attention to eg floor profile to direct the water.

spacious-bathroom.jpg

To me it makes sense to have a freestanding bath draining into the grill. A good buggeration-free way to alternate bath/shower should you need without needing to dig up the floor.

Over here the practise is perhaps more to make bathrooms into bathing bedrooms, bathing-lounges or bathing-snugs.

But you have to admit it makes the problem just go away completely :ph34r:.

My other suggestion would be to make a feature of it, as one does with chrome hot and cold water pipes in a shower rather than destroying a tiled wall to hide them. In this case it could be something metal, or something off-the-wall like a reclaimed or newly made barrel or stainless steel item to provide a bath-tidy and hide the gubbins.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, lizzie said:

@ProDave thats exactly what we did with the freestanding bath in our last house.

@Moira Niedzwiecka I had the gap between wall and bath to clean behind on hands and knees too, reaching in the narrow space the length of the bath was a challenge. Eventually I found a long handled thing designed for cleaning wall tiles (removable microfibre pads) that was just the right size to do the job.  From Lakeland I think.

Would not a kitchen squeegee or sponge mop do the walls and behind-the-bath?

Another one of those where 'middle way' does not work (like 6" gaps between houses or extensions) - close the gap off completely or make it easily accessible?

Edited by Ferdinand