Once started, do you ever stop self-building?

Pulling on my hi-viz and safety trainers this morning, it suddenly hit me.

This is never going to stop is it? There'll always be more to do won't there: a tweak here, a new this or that to buy and fit. A new product to try out, thingamajig to replace

18 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Pulling on my hi-viz and safety trainers this morning, it suddenly hit me.

This is never going to stop is it? There'll always be more to do won't there: a tweak here, a new this or that to buy and fit. A new product to try out, thingamajig to replace

its Sunday, surely you are the only person on site. why the Hi-Vis?

My brother built his own house about 15 years ago.  For the first 5 years approx after they moved in I think there were various bits the were 'adjusted' but since then it is just maintenance. It's a 5 bed, 4 bath type place at at the opposite end of the scale to my little den.  

Dunno. I’m still trying to get finished, correcting things that aren’t quite right, dealing with things that are broken, 9 years on. I’d be glad just to feel that I’d actually finished and maintenance had begun! 

30 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

why the Hi-Vis?

Because he'd look silly and attract complaints in just his riggers!

They're big into the whole Freikörperkultur thing apparently. :)

31 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

its Sunday, surely you are the only person on site. why the Hi-Vis?

When I went solo offshore sailing I still put my lifejacket on and then wondered why as there would be no one left onboard to turn around should I fall overboard. In the end I concluded the lifejacket was a security dummy.

11 minutes ago, newhome said:

[...]

9 years on. I’d be glad just to feel that I’d actually finished and maintenance had begun! 

Its like the perennial question  we all get asked 

' ....When are you planning to start /  be finished  / get the roof on /  

I suppose half of it (for me) is that I now have a uniform: cheap knee padded work trousers, expensive trainers, one of three T shirts all worn to buggery, a battered waterproof and a 1000 yard stare.

We went out last night and everyone commented about me looking different once I'd had a bit of scrub..... : and I counter that my mates are looked like pasties  office-palour,  I now have a fairly good tan.

As to Naturism and building  @Onoff,  not when I have an angle grinder or welder on the go . But, safely tucked away up on the roof where only a select few can see me - well - there's not much to make a fuss about. 

Once the "house" is finished I recon another 2 years, to build the car port. shanty town of various sheds, bridge over the burn, 3 wire bridge over the burn for fun, zip line, decking, then perhaps a chicken coop and chicken runs.

Then all the stuff I have not yet thought of.

5 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Its like the perennial question  we all get asked 

' ....When are you planning to be finished 

My friends have stopped asking this as I turn into a demented mad woman (well even more than normal :)

I have to look for the odd diamond in the rough and be happy with that. That bit of decent plumbing that stands out like a sore thumb from all the original, some tidied up wiring or even a line of equispaced screws or I'd go nuts. 

Sobering the thought that if someone else bought the place they would knock down and rebuild without a second thought. It becomes more appealing to me as time goes on tbh. 

One bit of light is that I hear someone local has just gained permission for converting outbuilding(s) to an annexe so maybe the council are softening their stance.

So all I need now is £££K! :)

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Sobering the thought that if someone else bought the place they would knock down and rebuild without a second thought.

Yep, that seems to be the norm up where you are. Don't suppose there are many of the original houses left now? Too many people wanting the plots to build their 7 figure home and stables :)

I have just been informed that after the trial run of the hot tub that my shed has to be cut in half with a room all boarded out insulated the  full works for our hot tub. And the garden needs done as well when I am at it. 

Think Elton John called it the circle of life but not sure he meant just keep working away cause she will always find new things for you to do.

I have a few projects planned after the self build.

Would quite like to put in a simple jetty on the loch for a canoe

We have a mound of bedrock which is fairly flat at the top with some amazing views. I would quite like to chisel some steps into the bedrock and create a fire pit with seating up there.

Dry stone walling

Probably some kind of treehouse for the kids and me.

Edited by Thedreamer

7 hours ago, newhome said:

Not planning a third then? ;)

At the moment no.

It's not the self building that is the issue, it's the sale of the old house. With the depressed demand and consequent depressed prices, selling a house is not something I wish to repeat in the near future in any shape or form. In fact looking back, I have (with one lucky exception) always had trouble selling houses.

So at the moment my thinking is I will leave this one on a box.

Guest Alphonsox

There's no chance I will attempt another self-build after this one, but there is every chance that the current build will continue indefinitely.

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

With the depressed demand and consequent depressed prices, selling a house is not something I wish to repeat in the near future

I know what you mean. I am not looking forward to selling this either especially as it will cost me a stack more to buy a house in the south again. There are so many new developments in the nearest town there is an abundance of houses for sale and my one is just slightly outside what people consider to be a reasonable commute even tho I do it regularly as do many others in the village. It's certainly less of a commute than many people travelling to London.