Snug passivhaus dwellers?

1 minute ago, Declan52 said:

All workplaces have to abide by the health and safety rules which include working in low temp. If they don't provide you with a means to stay warm i.e clothing or temp heaters then you can go home. The min temp is only 16 degrees so if your works heating has broke down you are well within your rights to pack up and head home if it's below this.

Unless you're self-employed!  There was a time around three years ago when we had a lengthy power cut (around 2 days IIRC) and the gas boiler wouldn't work without power.  I had a laptop that I could work on, and spent most of a day typing up a report for a witness statement in a freezing cold room...........

• Like 1

True we were drilling boreholes in 2010 when it went to -15 here. Every time we set a drilling rod back on it's rack it froze to the others and had to be hammered apart. We only had 1 hole to do and headed home by 11. Took 2 hrs to drive 18 miles. Was a fun drive home!!!

2 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Every time we set a drilling rod back on it's rack it froze to the others

Yup, i remember walking to the top of Ben Lomond to rebuild the summit track, it had been very wet the previous week but over the weekend the temp had plummeted to well below -10 so on Monday morning all our spades and metal bars were frozen solid to the muddy ground..... enjoyed the view tried to smash them out with stones, gave up and went to the pub. 

Here at millstone manor we have the 35Kw system boiler and a couple of log burners, temperature is 16.2 in my study - better check the LPG level, not that the lorries will be getting here I just made it in the Disco after a 3 hour journey from Rochester (normally 30 minutes) - people who drive cars / vans with rear wheels only driven need to stay out of the snow.

14 hours ago, Hecateh said:

My current house is far from passive - more similarities to a sieve.

Sorry but my current rented house out sieves yours in the thermal sieviness league. Note to self: never buy a house built by a farmer.

I just ordered a 500 litre top up for the oil tank and hope to be camping out in my part built selfbuild before the tank runs dry.

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I've recently discovered the benefit of fingerless gloves.  Brilliant for typing when it's cold (we're still half-in our old house and that does get cold overnight)

I wear fingerless gloves all the time, I have some natty ones from amazon that are also mild compression gloves to help with my arthritis. What with those and the thick wooly socks I am no longer a fashion icon LOL

3 minutes ago, lizzie said:

I wear fingerless gloves all the time, I have some natty ones from amazon that are also mild compression gloves to help with my arthritis. What with those and the thick wooly socks I am no longer a fashion icon LOL

I see your fingerless gloves and raise you 'the ribbing off an old pair of walking socks' around my wrists - surprising how it helps

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, NSS said:

Had to ignite a couple of farts this week but more to avoid opening a window than for the heat input O.o

Try as I may to lower the tone of the forum with the odd subtle double entendre, I'm never going to reach your depths! 

32 minutes ago, Alex C said:

A very snug 22+ here as well. The only heating input for the last 9 days has been the sun and 3 towel rads for 30 mins a day. Loving that South facing solar gain.

We just don't have the solar gain unfortunately. The one one decent window on the south side is shaded by a large tree most of the morning.

Still pretty warm, and very comfortable, with not much energy, which is the main thing.