Plastering Moisture Resistant Plasterboard

Onoff

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Tape needs to be clean and new and goes on just before the plaster or it will start falling off. 

If you are getting materials for the spreads then buy a new roll but don’t put it on, or just let him bring his own as @Nickfromwales said.....

Cheers. When you say "tape" do you mean the mesh stuff?

Been away for a few days.....  my plasterer said he'd prefer to skim 'fresh' board - he said it gets too dry - he said around windows is the worse.  I put some screwfix / toolstation scrim on - he wasnt happy with it, said it wasnt sticky enough.  I let him buy what he wanted - not much £ at the end of the day.

Don't skim yourself - at £200/day you're only looking at a max of £400 incl materials!  You know it makes sense.

52 minutes ago, CC45 said:

Been away for a few days.....  my plasterer said he'd prefer to skim 'fresh' board - he said it gets too dry - he said around windows is the worse.  I put some screwfix / toolstation scrim on - he wasnt happy with it, said it wasnt sticky enough.  I let him buy what he wanted - not much £ at the end of the day.

Don't skim yourself - at £200/day you're only looking at a max of £400 incl materials!  You know it makes sense.

I've bought the T'station scrim @PeterW said about.

Couldn't resist trying it...I don't get much excitement in my life...

Need to make good this damaged corner of one board at the join. Not sure if you fill it (with plaster) first then put the tape on or just whack plaster on this and hope it squidges through? This damaged bit will be tiled over anyway with an upstand. 

20180613_230406

And picked up a couple of these:

20180613_230344

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bassanclan said:

...for the brother in law to use...

The wall at the bath end, on the right, will be tiled from the bath up. The low wall with the pocket will be tiled including the nom 4" shelf on top with a line of tiles / upstand over the damaged bit just above the shelf. Above that will be plastered & painted with a colour (so SWMBO can periodically change the bathroom theme :( ).

The internal corner where painted wall on the left meets tiled wall on the right, does that need taping / reinforcing?

20170108_160709

Then the internal corners that are two pb walls that'll both be tiled, corner tape?

2018-06-05_10-15-34

And finally where pb meets Aqua Panel at an internal corner (lower right), tape or not?

20180213_193815

Lastly, whilst on a roll, the EXTERNAL corner above, it'll be tiled straight on the pb with a corner trim. Tape it or not?

Cheers

Where skim meets tile it should be taped.

Don't tape where it is wholly behind tiles.

You can fill that bit of damage with a bit of (powdered) tile adhesive.

Don't put scrim tape on until the day/day before your brother in law is coming to skim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to put down some taped together Antinox / Proplex sheets to protect the concrete  floor and board over the bath to the extent it can be stood on to reach the ceiling.

I intend, as the plasterboards have been up for a good while to apply a weak pva mix just before plastering. I've generally used a pot and a brush before on walls but it's messy. 5:1 has always been my goto water/pva mix. I've tried it in plant sprayers or even kitchen cleaner spray bottles but they seem to soon gum up. I was thinking maybe a 10:1 mix in my back pack sprayer? Would be ideal to do the ceiling.

2505974_1.jpg.4b10962aac9c67a2ffc6561f29daae97.jpg

15 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I intend, as the plasterboards have been up for a good while to apply a weak pva mix just before plastering. I've generally used a pot and a brush before on walls but it's messy. 5:1 has always been my goto water/pva mix.

My plasterer told me never to put PVA on plasterboard.

Just now, Dudda said:

Don't worry about where the scrim tape goes or when the pva has to go on. The plasterer will know and take care of all this for you. 

100%. 

16 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

My plasterer told me never to put PVA on plasterboard.

If it's been on a while and is bone dry and dusty then it'll be very high suction. A very weak PVA mix will be necessary ( but only in the most 'adverse' cases ). :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

I'm going to put down some taped together Antinox / Proplex sheets to protect the concrete  floor and board over the bath to the extent it can be stood on to reach the ceiling.

I am sure the plasterer will feel that is helpful.  Offer to make him tea as well.

As others have said - leave scrim etc to the professional plasterer.  Mine wanted all joints double scrimmed.  I brushed sealer on all boards - followed what the adhesive companies suggested.

While he / she is doing the skimming, you can be thinking about your retractable shower head and supping the froth off the top of a quality beer.  You've saved a lot of £ doing the boarding etc - best not cock it up now!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CC45 said:

As others have said - leave scrim etc to the professional plasterer.  Mine wanted all joints double scrimmed.  I brushed sealer on all boards - followed what the adhesive companies suggested.

While he / she is doing the skimming, you can be thinking about your retractable shower head and supping the froth off the top of a quality beer.  You've saved a lot of £ doing the boarding etc - best not cock it up now!

Stilts you say? I'm figuring how to raise the floor! :)

Once the plasterer has been, you will find the roof is ~3mm closer to the floor - no stilts needed then.

If £ for plastering is limited - have you thought about crowd funding?  Selling a kidney?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CC45 said:

If £ for plastering is limited - have you thought about crowd funding?  Selling a kidney?

We have 1400 members ... if they all give 20p he will have enough for a plasterer and enough left over for an hour with a therapist to get over the obsession with moving shower heads....

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PeterW said:

We have 1400 members ... if they all give 20p he will have enough for a plasterer and enough left over for an hour with a therapist to get over the obsession with moving shower heads....

Joking aside they're some great numbers! Thought the other day how there's more and more seeming to join and those that do fitting in well.