We're featuring on Grand Designs next week 🎥

@thefoxesmaltings beautiful job, well done! Loved the pergola. Where did you find those guys? We’ve been searching for a contemporary pergola but have only found ornate ones.

We’re out of the ground, scaffolding going up ready for the timber frame arriving next week… seeing your build on GD has given us a bit of hope that one day we’ll have a lovely home too 😊

• Like 1

Pleasantly surprised lots of normal GD "stuff" was missing

Zara didn't get pregnant

You didn't got over budget but came under (OK not quite finished but close enough)

The house was "finished" before target time

The garden wasn't finished but the bones are there.

I amazed GD didn't can the programme due to not enough drama 😉

I guess the look of the house and the corten provided that......

Well done

• Like 2

Wow, what a hard working couple, as said, not a normal grand designs as not much went wrong and under budget. I am not a fan of contemporary normally but that is the best I have ever seen. Hats off to you both. Only one criticism, no mention of build hub 🤣🤣

• Like 1

Never seen a GD where I liked everyone before, and also the project. Very well done.

The success comes down to vision, determination, being charming, working hard, and being young and energetic.

I fail on the charm, and my youthful energy was spent making other peoples' projects.

I wish you all the best, and you deserve that lovely home.

• Like 1

Just watched it, (rarely watch commercial television live)

Under budget, under time and no major problems.  Kevin was having to dig deep to find any tiny little problem to highlight no matter how small.  A model of just how to do a self build, and a great result.  

Of course it only went so well because of all the expert advice and encouragement from Buildhub.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Kevin was having to dig deep to find any tiny little problem to highlight no matter how small.  A model of just how to do a self build, and a great result.  

My favourite bit was where they tried to create some drama about a 5mm discrepancy and then sorted it with a quick plane shave!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 02/10/2024 at 22:04, Bozza said:

Congratulations guys you’ve done an amazing job.

So sorry about your Mum Zara.  A trauma in our family also motivated us to self build, so I get it.  She’d be very proud of what you’ve achieved.

Ah, Thank you Bozza. That means a lot. it's hard not to well up a little when ever speaking about her in detail, even as this is being typed. We can only try to sympathise with what you have gone through.

On 02/10/2024 at 22:28, ChrisInKent said:

@thefoxesmaltings beautiful job, well done! Loved the pergola. Where did you find those guys? We’ve been searching for a contemporary pergola but have only found ornate ones.

We’re out of the ground, scaffolding going up ready for the timber frame arriving next week… seeing your build on GD has given us a bit of hope that one day we’ll have a lovely home too 😊

Thank you! Pergola was from the same company who did our Timber Frame (Turner Timber, based in Hull).

They did a superb job in getting the measurements bang on and the 'hidden plate' detail that we wanted.

Exciting times! The TF flies up, they really are quite impressive to watch. All the best with your project. :)

On 02/10/2024 at 22:35, marshian said:

Pleasantly surprised lots of normal GD "stuff" was missing

Zara didn't get pregnant

You didn't got over budget but came under (OK not quite finished but close enough)

The house was "finished" before target time

The garden wasn't finished but the bones are there.

I amazed GD didn't can the programme due to not enough drama 😉

I guess the look of the house and the corten provided that......

Well done

1. Ha Ha. We've had lot's of comments around the pregnancy which always makes us laugh.

2. Our hand really was forced by the interest rates of our mortgage, we didn't want to take down the last chunk of funds as we thought we could finish it ourselves without needing it. Hence the 'almost' finished state.

3. The production crew wanted to get filming wrapped to get the episode out this season, so we had a deadline to meet.

4. Yes, it needs a bit more time for things to settle in, related to point 4.

Thanks for tuning in, and glad you enjoyed.

On 02/10/2024 at 23:03, joe90 said:

Wow, what a hard working couple, as said, not a normal grand designs as not much went wrong and under budget. I am not a fan of contemporary normally but that is the best I have ever seen. Hats off to you both. Only one criticism, no mention of build hub 🤣🤣

Thank you very much. We're glad you enjoyed the episode. As you can anticipate, there was so much that got removed from the final cut. It's an 18 month build schedule which needs to fit into 47 mins, even then that's not taking into account the last segment of the 'reveal'.

Guess our comment of how we found social media and self-build forums wasn't worthy enough!

• Like 1

On 02/10/2024 at 23:27, Super_Paulie said:

Enjoyed it, loved the gaff, congrats. My missus was all for the "Instagram house" journey but sacked it off immediately when she realised she couldn't click her fingers and the house was completed in 5 seconds. I've been on my lonesome since that day (day 1). 

Thanks so much. Ah the illusion and immediacy of social media...."Can we just skip to the good bit?"

22 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Never seen a GD where I liked everyone before, and also the project. Very well done.

The success comes down to vision, determination, being charming, working hard, and being young and energetic.

I fail on the charm, and my youthful energy was spent making other peoples' projects.

I wish you all the best, and you deserve that lovely home.

Very kind words, thank you. I think we're all out of 'youthful energy' for the time being!