Large van or dropside truck?

I was ear marked to purchase a Citroen Dispatch, but that fell through.  I then thought a boxer size van, might be better, but now I'm considering getting a dropside tipper as they would seem super versatile?

What materials are you planning to transport with it. I mostly got everything delivered. I do have a trailer too which has been invaluable. Mine is sized to take a 2.4m x 1.2m sheet. It also has extended sides so has been great for taking waste to the local tip. Saved me a fortune on skips. I bought the trailer new for £1900 and will get most of that back when I sell it. No tax, insurance, MOT, service costs, consumables etc.  

• Like 1

Thanks all.  Hadn’t really considered a tipper trailer.  Was thinking that it will save money when collecting aggregate or disposing of spoil / waste that cannot go in a skip.

maybe I should just a tow bar attached to my wife’s Seat Ateca 4*4 and use that.

We had a Renualt Trafic during the build, but now have a Ford Transit connect with folding front seat. Can actually get more useful stuff in it, than the Trafic, because the hard bulkhead got in the way.

Small van now gets used more than our car, best money you can spend on a vehicle.

• Like 1

3.5 ton tipper opens up a whole world of cost savings and flexibility. 

anything loose is less than half the price of bagged ive found.

ability to just go and pick up anything anywhere to keep the build going, no waiting etc.

downside,  family and friends will be forever on the phone asking to borrow.

• Like 1

Screenshot_2024-07-15-10-51-43-252_com_ebay.mobile.thumb.jpg.c489669aa2cc1819fc7e749883baeae2.jpg

However unless you're bringing lots of aggregate the tipping function is probably not needed. It adds a chunk of weight too so reduces your payload. 

A normal dropside flatbed gives the advantage that everything can be loaded and unloaded with a forklift but the higher bed can be more awkward to load by hand. 

I have an 8*4 trailer that a 1200*2400mm sheet will lie flat in but not an 8ftx4ft. Ideally it'd be 50mm bigger in both directions. It's only 230kg unladen though so it's super easy to pull (I used my 1.2l Fiat Panda!) and the ramp makes it simple to manhandle/wheelbarrow stuff in there. Would recommend. Same as this.  

Screenshot_2024-07-15-11-11-45-814_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.10694a008f8eeaeedb9aba2f0c76cafa.jpg

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

Are there still merchants who sell loose into your trailer?

I recall shovelling, (pre big bags, which must add £10 and disposal). You got a lot more when doing your own shovelling.

• Haha 1

On 14/07/2024 at 00:02, flanagaj said:

I was ear marked to purchase a Citroen Dispatch, but that fell through.

I don't own one, but have hired one (or the Toyota Proace version) several times when needed. The bulkhead flap is handy for longer items such as 3m long metal studs. With deliveries, I've not needed anything bigger, though depends what you're building, I guess.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

3.5 ton tipper opens up a whole world of cost savings and flexibility. 

ability to just go and pick up anything anywhere to keep the build going, no waiting etc.

downside,  family and friends will be forever on the phone asking to borrow.

Was also thinking that collecting items advertised on Gumtree or eBay could potentially save money over the builders merchants

In general you'll do better by ordering almost everything in bulk with delivery included. 

ebay/gumtree is probably only best for higher value small bits and pieces like MVHR units or maybe a nice kitchen tap. I don't think you'll save anytime buying plasterboard or aggregate from there. 

What you really need to be able to do is drop to the builders merchants and get 1 last sheet of ply or a couple of 6*2s or 20 roof tiles last minute to save your tradesmen taking men off the job. A small 8*4 trailer would be ideal. 

• Like 2

On 14/07/2024 at 11:20, JohnMo said:

We had a Renualt Trafic during the build, but now have a Ford Transit connect with folding front seat. Can actually get more useful stuff in it, than the Trafic, because the hard bulkhead got in the way.

Small van now gets used more than our car, best money you can spend on a vehicle.

Agreed.  I had a £1800 Transit Connect for the duration of the build, used daily too and from work and picking up stuff from merchants.  Stick some roof bars on and you've got most eventualities covered.  Just get aggregates delivered; if you've got an account with a merchant delivery is likely f.o.c. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Family sized estate car with towbar, roof bars, and rented trailers IMO.

Pay the delivery on bulk materials by truck

Rent a trailer for the medium stuff that you want the option to load slowly "I want THIS board and THAT board and NOT THAT board etc"

Keep a sheet of 22 mm OSB and the roof bars for "fudge, I need another sheet of plasterboard" or a giant roll of pipe / cable etc

3 metre long oddments (pipe, curtain pole, etc) go straight in the car along with "white goods" sized things (cylinders, heat pumps, air conditioners, bathtubs etc)

If it's boxed / bagged and liftable goes in the car

If it's shovellable and dry then stuff t that can also go in the car if you're not in the slightest bit precious about it?

1.6 TDCI Focus Estate for us (the 90 bhp version) with a 2cm lift kit on it. Costs £0.20 to buy. Does 1000 km on a tank of diesel whilst running around. Takes 3m pipes inside it with ease. Open the tailgate and you have a cleanish seat with a cover to have a cuppa in the rain. Not banned from the tip like vans. Not subject to speed limits like vans. Doesn't get broken into every 5 minutes. Doesn't whinge too much when I rent my favourite 6 metre twin axle trailer form the place next to the sawmill. Needs to be dry day with bit of a run up to get that up the grass hill though!

image.jpeg.e3ef70f9119f8294fcfeedead4864297.jpeg

If the site is a wet mess a van will be worthless to you IMO (gets stuck) - you'll get further in small front wheel drive car with decent ground clearance; small 4x4 car; or a real 4x4.

• Like 2