Has the noise issue been considered by the heat pump enthusiasts?

The main issues that put me off installing a heat pump in my renovated home was the noise and the cost.

Both are discussed here: https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/may/27/pump-up-the-volume-the-trouble-with-noisy-heat-pumps

Just wondering how those that have heat pumps here dealt with the noise issue and whether now that you have lived with your heat pump, particularly in summer, you are happy you made the decision to go with a heat pump.

• Like 1

I installed my own heat pump and the noise issue was never discussed/mentioned, mind I had no close neighbours. It was simply a “box” on the plans saying ASHP. I never found mine noisy in fact now I  have moved I have a neighbour (not that close) and his oil fired external boiler is far louder than my ASHP was. (A shame as it’s spectacularly quiet here). Installing a heat pump into a passive esk build was the best option IMO and future plans were PV to reduce lekky usage even more. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Just wondering how those that have heat pumps here dealt with the noise issue

We have ours behind a shed and you have to go to back of the shed to see if it's running. Not silent but not noisy either when running. Some click and clonk when starting.

Our heat pump is, to all intents and purposes,  silent in normal operation. Our near neighbour’s oil boiler flue is far louder plus it short cycles so there’s a big boof noise when it starts up. The noise issue is overdone in my opinion. The Samsung in our previous house had a double fan and a much older design and was slightly noisier. It was below a window and even when the window was open it wasn’t that noticeable. Because it’s running for a while you tend not to notice it. 

In normal use an ASHP is not noisy.  No more noisy than say the roar of an outdoor oil boiler burning away.

I do have a problem with mine at the moment, the fan motor has a failed bearing that is whining whenever it is running.  That is a fault and is on my "to do" list to try and replace the bearing.

EDIT:  there is a common theme here.  Why do people complain about the noise of an ASHP, but not the roar of an oil boiler burning (and the smell of those)?

• Like 1

My extractor fan on the downstairs toilet throws out more noise than my heat pump in heating mode. Hot water is noticeable from 3m on start up only for 5-10mins as the compressor is going for it but my heat pump is ten year plus design! 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Why do people complain about the noise of an ASHP, but not the roar of an oil boiler burning (and the smell of those)?

When my neighbour has an oil fuel delivery the area stinks of fuel oil 🤮 and it short cycles all the time….

Edited by joe90

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Why do people complain about the noise of an ASHP, but not the roar of an oil boiler burning (and the smell of those

Because the press tell people they are noisy, so they go looking for the noise? Some people try to run them like a gas boiler so they run flat out and make more noise than they could?

Simple: heat-pump manufacturers have been doing a lot of work on noise reduction in the last few years, and things have improved considerably. Just get the quietest heat pump you can! The dBs are right there in the technical specifications, and you can ask people here or elsewhere if there are heat-pumps that make a low but somewhat annoying noise (I've heard that Atlantic heat pumps are like that - can't confirm).

I have a Mitsubishi Zubadan Silence, and both the neighbors and I are happy. From my guest room (which is very close to the external unit) you can notice it only when it's running at full blast and everything else is quiet, and you are paying attention. It's basically the noise of a distant wind. (NB: I did take care to install an anti-noise windowpane in a bathroom window that is basically right next to it.)

If all else fails, one can get a cover to reduce noise further, but it hasn't been even remotely necessary in my case - and I am very sensitive to noise.

Our MVHR on boost is louder then our twin fan Samsung ASHP.

The ASHP at 2-3m is about as loud as my old had boulder at 2-3ft. Maybe as loud as a modern car idling?

Mine makes less noise than the neighbour’s bathroom extractor fan. Also quieter than the wind blowing through nearby trees and birds singing! Only notice it when walking past within a metre.

We were away this weekend staying in a log cabin heated by an 8kW ASHP. The friends we stayed with didn't mention anything about the noise, because it was pretty much silent, even while doing DHW heating from a couple of metres away.

18 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

replacing in 15 years or so

That's a life time, tech wise, in the future. Why are you worried about it now?

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

That's a life time, tech wise, in the future. Why are you worried about it now?

Wasn’t really worried about it now. But I was 4 years ago when i started researching it, and still was 3.5 years ago when I had to make the decision, so that’s why i went with gas. But everything is pretty much setup for converting to something greener in the future, so one day we will hopefully change it.

Reading the news article I posted just reminded me of my worries…

I visit social housing often, and round my way a good few years ago some bright spark thought they’d foist huge ASHP units on properties as replacement boilers without changing the rads - I assume the business case was based on not needing annual gas testing.  The result was overworked pumps that were therefore noisy and on constantly and cost so much to run that loads of tenants got into debt, and that was before the price hikes of the last few years.   A good way to generate bad press and general loathing. 

I can hear ours when it's running flat chat to heat the DHW tank, but it isn't loud, and it's the sort of noise that completely blends into the background.

It's effectively silent when doing heating. The rustling of the adjacent trees in even a slight breeze is much louder. Generally I have to stick my hand in front of the outlet to tell if it's running.

For reference, it's a nearly 9 year old Panasonic Aquarea.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Before installing an ASHP, it is worth checking the background noise levels.

Even quiet roads can be quite noisy.

image.png.d1167b3c947303a0c12550d0847318ea.png

Not useful data, background noise levels are typically the LA90, this is Lden, which adds corrections to the evening and night period.

Also this is % of population exposed to different noise levels. Background noise levels are very site specific.

Edited by Moonshine