Glad I was sat down!!

Context: asked for a quote for an ASHP + 300L cylinder and UFH buffer tank (for a zoned UFH system fitted by myself)

Following MCS guidelines the heat loss calculations have resulted in a 6.0kW Mitsubishi Ecodan being specified along with a 300L UVC and a 30L buffer tank.

From the quote:

The total cost for the complete system detailed in the above specifications will be £6,764.62 + 0.00% VAT.
A £7,500 Boiler Upgrade Scheme voucher has been deducted from the installation cost above.

So a total of £14,264.62.

A quick interweb search:

Ecodan 6kW - £3,162.66

300L UVC for ASHP (I'm going high cost case with a pre-plumbed unit) - ~£1,800

30L buffer tank - ~£300

Ancilliary pipe, cable, switches etc - I'm going to allow for £1,000 which I think is fair give the pre-plumbed cylinder.

Note there is no UFH related kit except for the 30L buffer tank.

So I make that a total of £6,262.66

Leaving £8001.96 for labour !!

Two people to get all the parts into place (2 hours each)

One plumber to do their work (12 hours being generous)

One electrician to do their work (4 hours being generous)

TOTAL hours: 20 hours

Hourly rate: £400

Even if we round it up to 3 full days (24 hours) that's £333/hour

I will let you all choose the first optional word to the two word phrase "******* off"

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)

I wonder if the MCS registered companies are just adding the BUS grant onto their quotes for free money!  Worth getting a quote from a company not MCS registered.  This is what happens when a monopoly is created.

It would be great if an MCS installer would comment on why their prices are so high but I wont hold my breath.

Edited by MrPotts

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

Even if we round it up to 3 full days (24 hours) that's £333/hour

Commonly interpreted as 

' ... Thanks for asking us, we have far too much work on at the moment, but if you insist, here's a price which will just about pay for our daughter's wedding in Disneyland....'

Edited by ToughButterCup
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, MrPotts said:

I wonder if the MCS registered companies are just adding the BUS grant onto their quotes for free money! 

Do you wonder?  Really?  I think we all know.

@BotusBuild if your experience turns out anything like mine, expect several more quotes of this nature.

Private monopolies are almost always bad news.  It's sad we have so many.

24 minutes ago, Chanmenie said:

I’m awaiting a quote for a  4KW Veismann Vitocal 151-a so be interesting to see how that comes out.

Buying direct is a huge price already. RRP is about £11k

Screenshot_2024-05-01-18-05-54-58_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.fc09c0f3241200782d831d2f59d876dc.jpg

Ours took Three men three days 

Including wiring the stats and UFH control centre and also commissioning the UFH leaving us 5k to pay. I wouldn’t be able to buy the materials in for that Without the BUS grant. Most would quickly go out of business and go back to being plumbers or Air con 

I’ve stated before a friend of mine works for a large heating company fitting HPs retrospectively for council and housing association tenants 

Most are duped by the promise of lower energy bills 

He reckons if the the tenants had to pay five hundred quid towards the cost there would be no takers 

7 minutes ago, nod said:

control centre and also commissioning the UFH Leaving us 5k to pay

Quite happy with my bargain install seeing all these prices.  No BUS used and paid about £3.5k all in, as a retrofit including paying Vat.

I have done a few and recon 2 days for me the electrician and 2 days for the plumber so 4 man days.

I might come out of retirement for £2000 per day.

Here is a sensible question about wiring up an ASHP.

As most are fitted around the back, or at least towards the rear of a house, and most consumer units are at the front of the house. what is the best way to run the cable?

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

As most are fitter around the back, or at least towards the rear of a house, and most consumer units are at the front of the house. what is the best way to run the cable?

Armoured cable around the house?

Ours is at back, so is consumer unit, but have a water shed (borehole pump etc) so have a second consumer unit in there via a big cable. So heat pump is driven from there. Only a single 3 core cable going into the house to drive a 3 port diverter valve on call for DHW.

18 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

As most are fitter around the back, or at least towards the rear of a house, and most consumer units are at the front of the house. what is the best way to run the cable?

I did mine in twin & earth (in conduit where the route was outside).  Armoured cable is a PITA.

I did mine for around £1300 all in. My brother (electrician) wired it all up in 4-5 hours over a couple evenings. I did get a bargin couple years old ashp. I’ve just watched a mcs plumber spend 4 days plumbing a uvc cylinder and 25l buffer tank in and he already had the pipes in place! 

I installed all mine myself then got spark to wire up. Had to pay a plumber £300 just for the G3 sign off for BC - was at my house all of 30mins checking it over. The beauty if pre plumbed is its a piece of cake...just dot to dot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

I have done a few and recon 2 days for me the electrician and 2 days for the plumber so 4 man days.

I might come out of retirement for £2000 per day.

I'll labour for you 'mate' lol.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I had my plumber install it...2k labour, plus 2.5k for the MCS cert after I got the grant. 

In reality I was around 5k after VAT reclaim for all the ASHP and tank (which I bought) and plumbing bits I bought. 

But in doing so, and getting an MCS install, I got a 9k grant. 

Quick maths will tell everyone for 500 quid, I done no work, had a really good install and got a reliable well functioning system (7kW Vaillant arotherm unit). 

Not all MCS installs are bad.

Edited by SuperJohnG

10 hours ago, JamesPa said:

I did mine in twin & earth (in conduit where the route was outside).  Armoured cable is a PITA.

Reckon I could run in armoured much quicker (probably 50% less time) than T&E in conduit and it would look better!

59 minutes ago, Mattg4321 said:

Reckon I could run in armoured much quicker (probably 50% less time) than T&E in conduit and it would look better!

It's the termination that gets me, it always seems to take much longer than it should.  Mind you I've only ever done half a dozen so I don't have a lot of practice in this!

1 hour ago, JamesPa said:

termination that gets me,

Watch a couple videos, my first attempt was awful, now knife strip back outer sheath about 100 to 150mm. Adjustable pipe cutter use that to nick the wire layer. Peel back wires they all fall off at the nick really clean. Inner sheath cut with knife. Make up gland.  Get all the dimensions from gland instructions - 5 mins tops now.

14 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Buying direct is a huge price already. RRP is about £11k

Screenshot_2024-05-01-18-05-54-58_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.fc09c0f3241200782d831d2f59d876dc.jpg

Cheaper than that from City Plumbing

plus the indoor unit includes the tank and all other bits like the buffer, expansion vessels etc

I've had a quote back that is seems even more crazy

-16kw Nibe ASHP

-400l tank

- Nibe UK 200 buffer tank

- install commissioning and MCS Certificate 

£21,500 + VAT

(Minus the £7.5k grant, so £14k

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, peekay said:

-16kw Nibe ASHP

-400l tank

£21,500 + VAT

TBF those are big boy pumps and tanks. As usual though it's just the BUS 'added tax' being included. Everyone seems to do it now.

6 minutes ago, peekay said:

-16kw Nibe ASHP

-400l tank

£21,500 + VAT

Sounds like a bargain, not, but 400L cylinder is a big cylinder, use less zones that are bigger, then get a smaller or no buffer.

Would be cheaper to DIY without grant, unless the whole house is being replumped. 

Big heat pump, either huge insulated house, or just too big.