The easiest, quickest, cheapest and most robust shower enclosure wall covering that's also easy to clean? Opinions and experiences please.

I know this probably doesn't exist, so maybe it's about finding a balance, but I need to find and expedient way to build a shower enclosure for a family bathroom that stands up to two teenage boys who seem to be able to wreck most things without trying.

I've done microcement, and will probably tile another bathroom, but not sure about the general family one...

So what would you use and why?

Tiles with epoxy grout.

Although the technology and materials are vastly different now, multipanels still remind me of the tacky-looking plastic versions in that I encountered in the occasional old bathroom the 80s - so probably installed in the 60s or 70s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the input all. The panels I'd previously come across were at a self-build show and were made of plastic/pvc or something so hadn't come across these multipanels with the timber core. I will get some samples and find somewhere to have a look at them.

However, talking to my wife last night the suggestion of large format porcelain tiles from @Russell griffiths has gone down the best, especially with the addition of thin epoxy grout joints.

27 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

I would consider a shower tray with an upstand too. Should make the floor to wall junction more robust. 

Screenshot_2024-01-20-13-33-57-063_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.028e5012a6b45bc44879b9e24cfab227.jpg

Thanks, good shout, you've anticipated my next step and question. I have one stone shower tray for the guest bathroom already so will need to remind myself of the best waterproofing process - I know it's been covered to death so I'll try and do a search before asking for a repeat😊 

7 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

Its something to do with smothering @Nickfromwales in a layer of silicone with a spatula. 

Rubbed down by lots of baby wipes too IIRC. But he's a bit slippery mind you, impossible to get hold of due to supply chain problems right now.

Edited by SimonD
  • Haha 1