home security

I've been thinking about home security recently. 

its got me thinking that my home which i thought was secure may not be at all.

I have a Hkc alarm system which is supposed to be a good alarm. what worries me though is the alarm panel is near the front door.  

what's to stop a burglar from just ripping it off the wall and throwing into water? would the  internal/ external alarm sirens still sound if this were to happen? 

my house has thumb turn locks with a letterbox and I've just saw videos of people using tools to reach through the letterbox and unlock the front door. So a burglar then has 30 seconds entry time to rip my alarm panel of the wall then there free to walk around my home. 

could this actually happen? or am i worrying for nothing?

If anyone has any good suggestions to improve my security I would be grateful.

You are probably over thinking it.  The best thing you can do if you are worried about break in's is move.

Where I used to live, in the 13 years I lived there, my shed was broken into (nothing taken) and someone attempted to enter the house by prizing a double glazing unit out, but failed.  And my sister who still lives in the vicinity has had her house broken into twice, once by the burglars lifting a paving slab from the ground and throwing it through the patio doors breaking the glass.  The alarm did not stop them, in and out in a couple of minutes and everyone passing by ignored the alarm sounding.

Where I am now and have been for 20 years, no reports of burglary by anyone I know.

There’s a lot of evidence out there that shows that alarms don’t significantly reduce your chances of being burgled. 

If you’re really worried and live in a high crime area move to somewhere less likely to be burgled. Look at the kind of cars you have and determine if they are the most stolen or not (Audi BMW Range Rover etc) Don’t have expensive easy to steal items on display or fit blinds/curtains/external shutters. Make your premises hard to access but also visible from the street with plenty of external lighting. You want tall fences hedging at the rear of the property and low at the front. Plant thorny hedges. Install gravel driveways and paths. Alarms and CCTV can act as a deterrent but if thieves view your house as an easy target because they have plenty of cover and there’s stuff worth stealing they’ll target your house. 

I’m serious about the cars. I had an Audi RS4 Avant for a while and sold it because they were so knickable. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Thanks 1

Any reasonable alarm system will have tamper detection in the controls and sensors so if any are disconnected it will alarm. The central wiring panel is normally somewhere hard to access (ours is in the loft), but even if that is taken out with an EMP then the sounders should have their own battery backup and sound if disconnected from the panel. 

• Thanks 1

The alarm keypad won't do anything if ripped off wall, no one would bother takingit out. The main box is usually deeper in the house, both it and the outside alarm box will have battery backups, once the alarm is triggered the external bell will sound until disarmed or dies. If your alarm has nighttime mode, any downstairs opening will trip the alarm and wake you up except main door which gives you 30 seconds warning. The exit doors have to be opened without a key for egress in a fire. Seal the letterbox and install external postbox. Get security film installed on all downstairs windows, slows them down a bit. After that master blaster alarm or security fog but only to trigger if no one in the house. Grt cctv with speaker and human detection to trigger on perimeter breach at certain times. Also remote alarm and cctv app on your smartphone. Or move!!

• Thanks 1

I live in a place where they dump stolen cars.

We think we may have had a break in at work today. One of the outbuildings seems to have had the four forced open.

We were very busy today and saw and heard nothing.

Might just have been the maintenance guy forgetting to lock the building up, but he has been away for a few days, so we should have noticed it before now.

Was windy today, for 7 to 9 on the shipping forecast, so hopefully just an extra blocked door.

We have a long drive to the back if the building, security lights and video cameras. Get broken into quite often.

There are no effective burglary detergents except drug rehabilitation courses.