Builder has knocked down one wall of brick outhouse then gone home for weekend. Is this safe?

DaveAF

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Safe as houses, reinforced slab roof, 9 inch thick walls, it’s not going anywhere. 

The safer way to demo it would have been to remove the roof first, then push the walls inwards. Leaving a RC slab up in the air was not wise, as it's old and cracked it may behave unpredictably.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, George said:

The safer way to demo it would have been to remove the roof first, then push the walls inwards. Leaving a RC slab up in the air was not wise, as it's old and cracked it may behave unpredictably.

Indeed. Odd way they’ve gone about it!!

Wont budge though, but should have been cordoned off not left open to access by the clients :/

Steptoe & Sons building Co. at best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, George said:

The houses here are 1930s built but is that outhouse younger? It's pretty heavy duty for a space the size of an outside loo. 

2 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Maybe they aren’t demolishing it? Maybe they are converting it into something? Or extending it?

Nope its coming down and being replaced by "a new outhouse". Those walls are really thick. Looks like a nuclear bomb shelter. 

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

On the date, the concrete looks like nobbly that was aiui most commonly done in the 50s/60s.

But white bricks would perhaps be unusual then, so I'd punt for late 60s early 70s.

It looks tremendously strong. You could just about stand up in it. I wonder what it was built for? Is it a diy bomb shelter? 

4 hours ago, DaveAF said:

It looks tremendously strong. You could just about stand up in it. I wonder what it was built for? Is it a diy bomb shelter? 

I'd say storage shed, coal house, or loo for short people.

But I have seen air raid shelters from the 1940s in approx that pattern.

If I recall correctly a bomb shelter is the one type of permanent outbuilding you can still create where you can spend the night without Planning Permission. Under 30 sqm and no Building Regs either.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Is that a lido with the sort of diving boards we don't build any more?

Oh yes, Ramsgate.

Visit Ramsgate - History - A brief history of Ramsgate

If you look in the background of the other picture, you will see the oil storage units.

Curacao, oil storage of PdVSA, Stock Photo, Picture And Rights Managed ...

I find the colour of the sky interesting.  One is in Kent, the other the West Indies, both overcast days.

20 minutes ago, TonyT said:

I would be more worried about your clothes line pulling the cladding off  than taking photos of your  neighbours garden…..

Fair enough but if you had seen the series of total balls ups these cowboys have inflicted on this building project and you lived beside it you'd want to keep an eye on every move they make. 

11 hours ago, DaveAF said:

Fair enough but if you had seen the series of total balls ups these cowboys have inflicted on this building project and you lived beside it you'd want to keep an eye on every move they make. 

Why? Frankly unless children were at danger next door it’s only their business unless it was likely to fall on your fence or property 🤷‍♂️