Cheapo double socket faceplates

Thorfun

money is rapidly running out so we're thinking of fitting cheap white plastic faceplates and can upgrade later when we have some money again. searching through CEF there's quite a few under £3. would they all be much of a muchness? 

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/search?q=double socket&per_page=48&page=1&number_of_gangs[]=2&colour[]=White&sort=price_inclusive_vat.sort_asc

I know we're not talking much per socket difference between cheap plastic and something nicer but when you have to buy over 100 of them £5 per socket makes a massive difference!

I've used all sorts of different ones, including the 99p Toolstation ones. Can't really tell any difference tbh.

There are sometimes differences in the angle of the cable entry but if you have a decent service void and a bit of slack to work with you'll be fine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crofter said:

I've used all sorts of different ones, including the 99p Toolstation ones. Can't really tell any difference tbh.

There are sometimes differences in the angle of the cable entry but if you have a decent service void and a bit of slack to work with you'll be fine.

34 minutes ago, ProDave said:

My favourite are Scholmore Click Mode (available from toolstation)  They are budget price but good quality.

24 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

I like the MK 'logic plus' (they are just standard sockets). I've found over the years that MK has better quality products than some others.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-logic-plus-13a-2-gang-dp-switched-plug-socket-white-5-pack/8458r

thanks all. it's actually good to know that folk recommend different makes. kind of means that they're all pretty similar.

one question though. when they say 

• Fits a 25mm back box

will it also fit a deeper back box? or would I have to buy longer screws to facilitate that?

I think that really means a minimum 25mm back box. Suggest deeper boxes are generally easier to deal with though as there's more room in them. Always handy to have a few longer screws around too - when a bunch of stiff twin and earth and a flimsy back box don't want to play ball. M3.5 I believe, which is a weird size.

If you don't have them already then better quality back boxes make installation less of a PITA. I've been buying MTMDLB2/4 etc from TLC, but others may have better recommendations.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Boxes_and_Enclosures_Index/Boxes_Dry_Lining/index.html#Dry_Lining_Plasterboard_Mounting_Boxes

Edited by Alan Ambrose

6 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

If you don't have them already then better quality back boxes make installation less of a PITA. I've been buying MTMDLB2/4 etc from TLC, but others may have better recommendations.

i'm using Appleby as recommended by @ProDave. will pick up a bunch of longer back box screws anyway.

IME the quality of the back box makes more of a difference than the actual socket. Deeper boxes do not need longer screws.

But... you can pick up longer screws for pennies on eBay. Worth having them to hand sometimes. When I was doing the kitchen, the extra depth of tiles made longer screws vital. Some faceplates are supplied with really tiny screws.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan Ambrose said:

I like the MK 'logic plus' (they are just standard sockets). I've found over the years that MK has better quality products than some others.

That differs to my findings, it is a long time since I have regarded MK as "quality" I have had lots of problems with jammed screws in new MK sockets, jammed to the point you can hardly turn them, and I am not alone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

That differs to my findings, it is a long time since I have regarded MK as "quality" I have had lots of problems with jammed screws in new MK sockets, jammed to the point you can hardly turn them, and I am not alone.

have you tried LAP faceplates? if so, any good or any issues?

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

kind of means that they're all pretty similar.

I defer to the experts above but add one thing.

I used the same electrician for dozens of projects. On one project we had to find savings to get the job. I suggested changing from MK to a cheaper brand. He declined on the basis that they saved him time, and he seldom had to return to deal with issues...in fact he would rather knock the equivalent off his sum. 

The same may apply to other premium brands.

• Like 1

I prefer MK. Installed them in our home with no issues. Working on my brother-in-law's: Cheap socket broken and double light switches time 2 faulty.  I'm with @saveasteading's sparks:

19 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

He declined on the basis that they saved him time, and he seldom had to return to deal with issues

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

have you tried LAP faceplates? if so, any good or any issues?

I have indeed, I have some in my own house.  But I did once have trouble with LAP light switches where the screws would not grip multiple cables.

Separate to "what make" the ones I hate are screwless flat plate.  You really do need a perfect wall and a deep back box to stand a chance of getting them right.  Some are better than others, and it's not easy to generalise what is good and not.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

Our spark recommends Schneider, as above suspect the tradies stick to brands that cause them less grief and returns.

yeah, and it would appear that trades can't agree on which are the best to use! 🤣

• Haha 1

I've been looking through various data sheets on the different makes and some say rated voltage 230V, some say 250V, some say Nominal Voltage 250V but rated 220V...230V.

our voltage is nearer 250V from our supply than 230V (think it's about 245V) so do I need to be looking for sockets that are rated to 250V? and what is 'nominal voltage'?

Edited by Thorfun
typo

23 minutes ago, joe90 said:

This thread is titled “Cheapo double socket faceplates

therefore if your planning to replace them and you say you” want to upgrade later” then why not buy the cheapest 🤷‍♂️.

It’s a very good point. The thing is I don’t know how far in the future later will be! So they might need to last quite a while. We’re looking at £2.50 per faceplate. But I will go to TS/SF/CEF and ask to look at various offerings and make a choice. 

I disagree with buying the absolute cheapest. There’s lots of carp out there that will start causing problems pretty soon if you fit a house full of them. Why buy the real budget carp, when proven good quality gear is only pennies more. 

I usually use scolmore click. Fit thousands a year and can’t remember the last failure. Hager is also decent. MK  Logic Plus is ok, but overrated and priced. Legrand are decent. 

Just fit click though is my advice. Very well priced and bulletproof. 

https://mastertrade.co.uk/scol-cma036-click-cma036-socket-2g-switched-13a-whi.html

I’d advise against CEF, unless you like getting tucked up. It’s possible it’s an acronym for Check Every Figure

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mattg4321 said:

I’d advise against CEF, unless you like getting tucked up. It’s possible it’s an acronym for Check Every Figure

agreed. I have an account but I hate the way that you don't know how much you're paying until the local branch manager decides to pluck a figure out of the air at the end of the month. I use them as a last minute resort.