Cheapo double socket faceplates

Thorfun

On 27/10/2023 at 18:19, Marvin said:

I prefer MK. Installed them in our home with no issues. Working on my brother-in-law's: Cheap socket broken and double light switches time 2 faulty.  I'm with @saveasteading's sparks:

Mk have recently gone downhill. They moved production to Romania and China. 

The terminals are tough to tighten even without copper in there. So how can you possibly gauge a good connection. 

20 hours ago, FuerteStu said:

Mk have recently gone downhill. They moved production to Romania and China. 

The terminals are tough to tighten even without copper in there. So how can you possibly gauge a good connection. 

Hi @FuerteStuActually I had noticed this and forgotten. Yes I had to do the screws up and down prior to installing . But only a few had the problem.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Hi @FuerteStu@FuerteStuctually actually I had noticed this and forgotten. Yes I had to do the screws up and down prior to installing . But only a few had the problem.  

I've had a fused spur where I tightened the screw with nothing in it and it snapped half the head off before it even closed up. Cheap metal, inaccurately machined. 

Not encouraging when they are the standard brand in so much of our infrastructure these days. 

i showed SWMBO a few different styles of cheapo sockets and she likes these from Hager

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/1661707-2-gang-13a-dp-switched-socket-with-dual-earth-white

no one on here has suggested Hager. anyone have experience with their sockets? our CU is Hager and i'm aware they're held in high regard in that field. doesn't mean that they make good sockets though!

yep, can't fault them. Connect wires, screw to wall, done. The're pretty slim on the wall. Haven't had any failures yet/ The USB ones seem to charge stuff ok.

on the lightswitches, the actual switch can be removed from the faceplete by undoing a couple of tiny screws. This makes it handy if you need to have (say) an intermediate or an illuminated 20A switch in a double or 4-gang faceplate, or want one dimmer in the mix. Like a gridswitch kinda.

3-gangs are different as to cram the three into a single, the switches are in one housing...

• Thanks 1