Tata Steel roof course

Pete

Just been on my roofing course provided by Catnic using Tata steel standing seam roof. Great one day course provided free of charge incl lunch. Full demo on how to set out and complete your roof and the tools you will need. I know @Barney12 has had an awful experience with Colourcoat Urban which uses the same product but since I found out Catnic are now supplying this product I cannot speak highly enough of the service they have provided so far. 

Numerous queries over our roof design have all been answered almost immediately and the guy presenting the course said you can contact him with any questions. You get a very helpful installation booklet, T-shirt and a certificate to go on the wall when the house is finished. 

• Like 2

That's interesting. I could easily surmise that this might be the route of the colourcoat teams issues. They weren't shy in openly telling me that they were massively under resourced by Tata and simply didn't have the staff to deal with existing, let alone new enquiries. 

So is the reality that Tata are moving the operation under Catnic? 

Whatever the answer it's a good result for you @Pete but too late for me.

We wanted to use Colourcoat Urban and every time I met a rep at a show they were great but the follow up was much weaker - sounds like they have gotten their act together by moving it to Catnic as its a great product but we have had to move on. I only hope the sales team minions I met were moved as well otherwise the poor bloody infantry get it again for poor leadership.

4 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

We wanted to use Colourcoat Urban and every time I met a rep at a show they were great but the follow up was much weaker - sounds like they have gotten their act together by moving it to Catnic as its a great product but we have had to move on. I only hope the sales team minions I met were moved as well otherwise the poor bloody infantry get it again for poor leadership.

The last time I spoke to them they were down to 2 sales people. The rest had left. The entire team (inc admin, warehouse, technical etc) was down to 8! Oh and as you can tell the women who was 'sales admin' wasn't exactly shy in revealing the information of their shrinking team and appalling service. She wasn't exactly a happy bunny as she'd spent 2 weeks in the office on her own whilst the rest had been at a trade show drumming up more business they couldn't service!! :/ 

Edited by Barney12
Typo

• 2 months later...

We were thinking of going the same route following the cost of zink!

What sort of £/m2 are you being quoted for materials and labour @Pete? Seperate figures would be great if you've got them :)

Edited by Visti

23 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

We originally planned a tata roof but we are now doing a zinc roof on a diy basis. 

We're discouraged by Zink due to the ~£120/m2 (material + labour) cost that we're being told by both our architect and quantity surveyor. We've reached out for actual quotes but are seeking alternatives until they come back, hence the query.

Would you mind sharing your supplier with me via PM @Alexphd1?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Visti said:

What sort of £/m2 are you being quoted for materials and labour @Pete? Seperate figures would be great if you've got them :)

The cost of our roof has worked out at approx £46/m2. There is no labour charge as we are doing it ourselves

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 months ago we were quoted at £17.56 sq/m for the roofing sheets (but only after a lot of pressure to reduce the price given the additional on costs we had for haulage and a nod to the fact there were no local installers).  Another £1800 for the ancillary bits and bobs, plus another £650 delivery costs from their depot to Aberdeen (they will not let you collect).  We would have had a few hundred extra to get the roofing from Aberdeen to Orkney on top of that.

Labour was estimated at £2703

Roof size circa 150 m2

Tata roofing costs £35.54 sq/m

Labour estimate £18 sq/m

Total £53.54 sq/m

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Visti said:

I was originally going with Colorcoat as the original quotes of £40/m2 Installed was the most cost effective Standing Seam roof I could find.

However in the year it took to get from the costing stage to having a roof ready to clad, Tata/Colourcoat seemed to get themselves in a mess and prices went North of £65/m2 installed.

I went back a re-quoted all the different options and Aluminium then came in the most cost effective at a little under £55/m2.

I wasn't happy with going over budget on the roof, but using a more ductile material (Aluminium, Zinc or copper) does allow hand dressing of all joints, such as roof-light flashings etc. so you avoid having to introduce another material to seal around penetrations.

Edited by IanR
  • Thanks 1

Just to clarify that the price of £46/m2 includes 23 metres of external gutter and associated downpipes, clips etc and fascia. 10 metres of a secret gutter with all the associated flashings. We also had to have quite a few bespoke trims to accommodate our upper and lower roof junction with the roof terrace. 

• Like 1

Thanks all, these numbers really help to gauge where in the ballpark we stand with the Colorcoat, though prices certainly do seem to have jumped in the last 12-18 months by the looks of things. The main thing for us is the DIY aspect; the more we can do ourselves to drive down the price the better, and this certainly does look to have a lower skill requirement to install that zink.

Saying that, I'll also be investigating DIY Zink following the additional information @Alexphd1 PM'd as it does seem viable when DIY'd

16 hours ago, Pete said:

Just to clarify that the price of £46/m2 includes 23 metres of external gutter and associated downpipes, clips etc and fascia. 10 metres of a secret gutter with all the associated flashings. We also had to have quite a few bespoke trims to accommodate our upper and lower roof junction with the roof terrace. 

Hi Pete,

What material are the gutters made out of? If it's exactly the same material as the colorcoated steel then they will need lining or painting as the base material is not ideally suited for use as guttering. The constant drip of oxygenated water from the standing seam roof onto the same areas of the coated steel of the gutter causes premature failure of the gutter.

Ian

4 hours ago, Ian said:

Hi Pete,

What material are the gutters made out of? If it's exactly the same material as the colorcoated steel then they will need lining or painting as the base material is not ideally suited for use as guttering. The constant drip of oxygenated water from the standing seam roof onto the same areas of the coated steel of the gutter causes premature failure of the gutter.

Ian

Hi @Ian can you give us some more information on your findings, I'm looking at this roof system also, is it only the gutter your not happy with or the whole system. 

Cheers. 

47 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Hi @Ian can you give us some more information on your findings, I'm looking at this roof system also, is it only the gutter your not happy with or the whole system. 

Cheers. 

Its mainly just gutters made from the basic colorcoated steel that I have an issue with.

Its based on years of experience of specifying the product on large scale commercial buildings and also occasions when I've been asked to inspect buildings with earlier versions of this colorcoated steel system. (The corrosion protection of the current colorcoat system is better than previous versions manufactured back in the days of Corus and British Steel.)

The failure points with the system are the cut edges and the gutters.

I would say it's a generally a good product with the following exceptions:

- I wouldn't use it at all in locations with very aggressive environments such as right next to the coast or next to heavy industry (in those areas you're better designing the building with no sheltered overhangs as these can induce poultice corrosion in areas not washed by rainwater). There are much better alternatives for these kind of aggressive environmental conditions rather than painted steel.

- unlined gutters made of the material usually have the high grade paint on the outside and the thin low grade paint on the inner surface of the gutter - I've seen lots of gutters made from this material where the constant drip of water from the roof onto the gutter has lead to early failure. The gutter needs painting with something more protective or lining.

• Like 1

@Russell griffiths

A couple of extra thoughts with regard to metal roof sheets is to

- make sure you design the roof so that you can span from ridge to eaves using a single sheet to avoid the potential corrosion and leak issue inherent in trying to joint the roof sheets mid-span.

- penetrations through the metal roof sheets for things like flues and vents can be awkward to detail and construct properly so best avoided if at all possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Any idea who's that square gutter is @Visti, I can find lots of half round but not many square without going stupidly expensive. 

The Tata steel one is a square profile that we are using via Catnic

• Like 1

Look at guttercrest they do a square (we didnt want round). They do bespoke too, which we needed for some bits,  powder coated ali colour of choice. Very reasonable prices and really helpful tech dept. Mansel was really helpful. We chose them after looking at so many other companies and I am very pleased with product, service and price.

guttercrest.co.uk