Do you remember the programme 'the house that 100k built'? Well...

with inflation I reckon they could redo the programme with 200 or 300k. I loved it for the way they saved money and challenged the conventional using industrial etc. 

Anyway, thinking about our roof, the architect originally drew it with zinc but he has another client that used corrugated steel. We have been hugely fortunate having him, he has been very- decent. We have thought about going with a variety of things from trocal to slates or tiles but that would change the whole appearance too much. 

Has anyone else used corrugated steel? 

Thinking of the show 'the house that 100k built' what did you like about it, what did you see done that you think - that's good? 

I bring it up when people who pass the site say 'it's like Grand Design' because it so isn't. My husband once in exasperation said I liked 'culchie industrial aesthetic' which still cracks me up. We are obviously trying to find a happy medium.

Edited by CalvinHobbes

It was at least a different take on self building, but I bet the £100K did not include services etc let alone buying the plot.

One think I did not like about the old series was the wacky ideas like cladding walls in strips of old pallet wood to save (at the time) about £5 per sheet of plasterboard.

If you take out plot price, services, legal costs etc our build was about £140K just a little under £1K per square metre.  I doubt with inflation you could replicate that cost now.  But we didn't scrimp on quality, we just shopped around a lot to ensure what we bought was the best price we could find.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CalvinHobbes said:

It's been used on that other program at least once, in Leominster: https://www.granddesigns.tv/leominster

As for the 'the house that 100k built', I most remember OSB used as the internal wall and ceiling finish instead of plasterboard. Aesthetically that's in the 'not good' category for me, but at least it could easily be over-clad when budget allows.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If you take out plot price, services, legal costs etc

Yes, and all fancy fittings I still think that 'a house' can be built cheaply and of adequate quality.

The real problem is, and self builders are the worst offender, is getting carried away.

If, for example, you spend £7k on home automation, then forking out £2k on just the bathtub seems a bargain. It will still get a scum line on it the same as a £200 one.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Declan52 said:

Our countryside is covered with homes that have the black corrugated roof with wood cladding and white render and they look fantastic.

Ours is covered in the scars of industrialisation and military bases.

Some people think it is nice, but I doubt the live in an asbestos roofed concrete bunker, though some on here want to build in ICF.

1 hour ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Corrugated is just the old fashioned name of a profile. It uses more steel rhan the flatter types, has less contact for rixing and needs very big fillers.

I saw some near our project, used to look rural. It wasn't well done though....it is tricky to cut so they had , wrongly, used a grinder...it will rust.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes, and all fancy fittings I still think that 'a house' can be built cheaply and of adequate quality.

The real problem is, and self builders are the worst offender, is getting carried away.

If, for example, you spend £7k on home automation, then forking out £2k on just the bathtub seems a bargain. It will still get a scum line on it the same as a £200 one.

No home automation here and bathtub cost £300, another self builder nearby bought it then changed his mind so we got it less than cost price.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Corrugated is just the old fashioned name of a profile. It uses more steel rhan the flatter types, has less contact for rixing and needs very big fillers.

I saw some near our project, used to look rural. It wasn't well done though....it is tricky to cut so they had , wrongly, used a grinder...it will rust.

Yikes,what should it be cut with to avoid rust?

8 minutes ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Shears or nibbler are best because they seal the galvanising back over the steel.

Recip saw ok.

The main problems are if the metal gets hot as it loses temper and debonds the plastic. Also anything that pulls the plastic off the metal, as it then holds water.

The ends aren't usually warranted. There is a cut end sealing varnish available.

Plastisol is the worst coating for this but is ubiquitous.

You say Yikes. Problem?

9 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Shears or nibbler are best because they seal the galvanising back over the steel.

Recip saw ok.

The main problems are if the metal gets hot as it loses temper and debonds the plastic. Also anything that pulls the plastic off the metal, as it then holds water.

The ends aren't usually warranted. There is a cut end sealing varnish available.

Plastisol is the worst coating for this but is ubiquitous.

You say Yikes. Problem?

No problem yet and now you have explained it so well I will ensure there won't be if we go with it. The yikes was the thought of going wrong. Much appreciated.

There is a house near me, roofed with some plastic coated box profile roofing, about 20 years old now.

Almost all the plastic coating has fallen off, I assume a UV problem, but interestingly the steel it has left behind has not rusted yet, so assume galvanised.

• Like 1

We're using "corrugated" profile sheet on our roof and most of the cladding, it's a 14-3 profile, whatever that is. Works out at approx £14+vat a sqM

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

We used Lindab steel guttering which was galvanised and then painted. The instructions for cutting it were to only use hand tools, because then the galvanising creeps back over the cut surface. I was a bit sceptical but none of the cut surfaces showed any rust after six years.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gone West said:

. I was a bit sceptical but

Shockingly, so will most cladders and roofers so you may have to lecture them and insist...and then watch

I can assure you that, done properly, the steel should last a long time.

I've been on problem roofs,   not by me, and seen that damaged plastisol  Edge or middle) will allow a roof to rust badly.

Corus/Tata provide a warranty but the small print makes it close to worthless.

The other thing to point out is proximity to the sea or pollution. You must tell your supplier. From memory, about 10 miles.

• Thanks 1

Ah yes I remember that program.

They had a bizarre hated of plasterboard, and always tried to avoid it. Even though it's about the cheapest sheet material you can buy, and it's easy to work with, helps with fire control, and it's very versatile.

I wonder if a genuine 'how to build a cheap house' program would really be popular, because when budget is king you just end up throwing out the nice stuff like big windows or woodburners.

FWIW our build, completed in 2018, came in at just under £40k ex plot (but inc services) for 43m² usable. Almost entirely DIY labour, but I did have to pay VAT. I used corrugated steel for the roof and am very happy with it. Box profile might have some technical advantages but corrugated was within the vernacular here and looks much better.

I wonder what my build would cost today?

• Like 1