Where do you buy screws?

JohnBishop

The cheapest screws aren't worth having as they will be made from inferior metal  which may not

1. Have the hardness to grip the screwdriver head

2. Cut into the material 

3. Resist corrosion

4. Have the strength for the job.

What function do you want the screws for?

• Thanks 1

Buy screws by make, cheap ones either will not drive in without out rounding the head or don't come out either they break or round the heads. 

As with all things you get what you pay for.  Buy cheap spend an hour swearing at the f****** screw you wish you hadn't bought.  Been there, done that.

• Thanks 1

I now only buy expensive screws. The time saved and job quality improvement  is immense.

The ones that come with their own head that clicks into them  are favourite.

I really should throw out the boxes of old fashioned screws that I will never use....or give them away to someone who wants cheapness before convenience.

I mostly bought the Screwfix easy drive or turbo gold. Never had any issues. There's over 2000 holding my EWI in place. The concrete screws are particularly good.

Of other brands, bought a few timco velocities for our ceiling counter battens as the easy drive wouldn't screw into the steel channels very well. And I'm a big fan of the screwtite 2 screws for lighter work as they drive really well and never split the wood. 

Edited by Conor
  • Thanks 1

In my experience:

Spax are excellent.

UltiMate / Ultimate II are very good.

Reisser are good.

The 'Tite' range from screwys, I have found the exterior 'tite' to be excellent but a bit expensive (although not as expensive as Spax!)

Timco are great for general work where tolerances, of all sorts, are sacker, their range is good and you can buy them in vast bulk and not feel the pinch too much.

After that the world is your oyster.

The thing that bugs me about most of them is the 'real' diameter measure. To me a 4mm screw should drop through a 4mm hole but they generally don't so you can get jacking if you are not very careful and get the hold size just right. Too big and the head sinks in a mile, too small and the joint is not pulled up as tight as you would want. I now keep drills 0.2, 0.4, 0.5 bigger than the screw spec to be sure I have the right size for every screw.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pocster said:

buy screws on city road

'Open' at night as well.

Wish I knew where my equivalent road was. Would be cheaper than my girlfriend, cheaper than my car today as well.

Edited by SteamyTea

17 hours ago, saveasteading said:

The cheapest screws aren't worth having as they will be made from inferior metal  which may not

1. Have the hardness to grip the screwdriver head

2. Cut into the material 

3. Resist corrosion

4. Have the strength for the job.

What function do you want the screws for?

Ideally I would want to see what I buy.
Wickes does not have all I need on display. On the other hand at Screwfix or at eBay you need to know exactly what you want.
Ideally a place I go and buy all I need in bulk. I can browse other things on the Internet but not screws. I mean on eBay there is a lot of stuff of inferior quality as you said and the price does not necessary reflect this inferiority.