Where do you buy screws?

JohnBishop

1 hour ago, Blooda said:

if your doing a big project needing lots of different sizes get case full like

TurboGold PZ Double-Countersunk Woodscrews Expert Trade Case 2800 Pcs - Screwfix

And fill up when you're short.

Single boxes have a habit of hiding, and only show their face when you have bought a replacement, just like tape measures.

Yes but lots of boxes can now disappear. Also the size you want will be the size you can’t find . You’ll then travel to the BM, buy a box the correct size and return home . ‘X’ nanoseconds later you’ll find the box of the screws you wanted . Quantum entanglement plays a large part in self builds . Also temporal time distortion. I recently posted “ 10 yrs ago “ - but it’s not really 10 years .  I believe Stephen hawkings just before his death was going to submit a paper on “ Quantum mechanics on a self build “ . Alas , the paper was never finished .

9 minutes ago, pocster said:

I believe Stephen hawkings just before his death was going to submit a paper on “ Quantum mechanics on a self build “ . Alas , the paper was never finished

His voice took advantage of quantum processes.

As does your electric screwdriver.

Not sure about Dr. Who's sonic screwdriver, that was just a wooden prop.

7 hours ago, pocster said:

You’ll then travel to the BM, buy a box the correct size and return home . ‘X’ nanoseconds later you’ll find the box of the screws you wanted .

Done a few times this week 

14 hours ago, pocster said:

Yes but lots of boxes can now disappear. Also the size you want will be the size you can’t find . You’ll then travel to the BM, buy a box the correct size and return home . ‘X’ nanoseconds later you’ll find the box of the screws you wanted . Quantum entanglement plays a large part in self builds . Also temporal time distortion. I recently posted “ 10 yrs ago “ - but it’s not really 10 years .  I believe Stephen hawkings just before his death was going to submit a paper on “ Quantum mechanics on a self build “ . Alas , the paper was never finished .

Just check his old and later pictures. It's not the same person. The original Hawking died in 90ties. People with this condition don't live that long.
Later the Intelligence who handles his project could not find a lookalike but they put a replacement anyway. His voice was computerised anyway. The Intelligence could type in anything they wanted for him to say. Quantum is pseudo-science.

22 hours ago, pocster said:

“ Quantum mechanics on a self build “ . Alas , the paper was never finished .

Ah, so he was spot on then. And people questioned his theories....

8 hours ago, JohnBishop said:

Also temporal time distortion.

Yep, I know that one, but also parallel universe. I saw myself in a video about my build and knew it wasn't me, couldn't be, it was only 2 years ago but a lifetime. Then my wife says it was 8 years ago surely....because she's waited at least 8 years even though we didn't start near 8 years ago, rather I broke ground in Jan 2019.

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️ (me and my wife)

As for what type of screws, only on buildhub could you find a 2 page thread on needing to see and feel the screws to decide before buying and spending loads of time on time on an internet forum to decide what type of screws to buy - now that's quantum mechanics for you...

Edited by SimonD

20 minutes ago, SimonD said:

now that's quantum mechanics for you

All materials basically exist of nothing, the gaps between the electrons and the nucleus.  It is the electron forces that stop the screwdriver just falling though the screw.  I did see Prof Brian Cox explain that given enough time, though quantum effects, any object can move from one place to another.  So rather than getting screws from a supplier, just wait long enough, and everything will be screwed.

Got to be easier and quicker than self builder's pontification.

This is worth a read.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics/quantum-physics/quantum-numbers-and-orbitals/a/the-quantum-mechanical-model-of-the-atom

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Screwfix periodically have 50% off some of there trade packs. I have bought each of 1000no. 5.0*100mm GoldScrew, 1000no. assorted GoldScrew Plus (now discontinued), and 1000no. assorted TurboGold for £19.99.

Separately, I have found large packs of Timco non-woodscrews online. For example their buggle head self drilling plasterboard screws. I wonder if Timco make some of the SF screws.

ForgeFix frame fixings are good and I've found those cheap online, but always by brand.

Really cheap screws are a false economy. If you rate your time @ £10/HR, it costs about 5p to put a screw in and that's more than most woodscrews, except Spax.

Personally, I don't know how Spax can be 3 times the price of other good woodscrews. Screw-Tite are a bit more pricey that the SF regulars, but I find them excellent.

1 hour ago, pocster said:

In BM open a box to “ check “ they are the correct screws . Then take said box to counter to get a discount because they are open and some could be missing . 

Admittedly you can’t do this trick too many times .

The other ‘cheat’ is receive say 30 lengths of timber . Call BM to complain ; that some are bent and unusable . They say if you send photos no need to return them and they’ll send out new . So just take 10 photos of the one bent one !

Edited by pocster

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Admittedly you can’t do this trick too many times .

The other ‘cheat’ is receive say 30 lengths of timber . Call BM to complain ; that some are bent and unusable . They say if you send photos no need to return them and they’ll send out new . So just take 10 photos of the one bent one !

Do you find you are now blacklisted with most BM's now?

• Haha 1