What building regs apply to a wooden garage,?

joe90

My next project is a timber garage, simple log effect DIY kit, I will need planning because it will be within 2 meters of a boundary but because it will be a double garage it will be just over the 30 sq m limit so require building regs, I plan a slab so no foundations, just simple power and light so what regs will apply?

13 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

My thoughts are that you are going to have to fireproof the side nearest the boundary if within 2 mt.

I don’t think so if still more than 1 meter away from the boundary which it will be.

5 minutes ago, Russdl said:

@joe90 I guess your Permitted Development rights have been withdrawn then?

Not that I am aware, it will be permitted development if over 2 meters from the boundary which it will not, or, if not (but over 1 meter) it will not be higher than 2.5m (which it will be).

22 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@joe90 move it ..? And is it just over 30sqm ..? If so, why not make it just under so no regs apply..? You can always add a lean-to at some point and cut through… 

I really want a double garage which is just over the 30 sq m.

Fire resistance and spread of flame will apply. Generally speaking if you are 2m or more you can have 5.6m2 of unprotected area. Check out your AD B. Don’t forget you may have a notional boundary between your house and garage which will affect the amount of unprotected area. 

Also move the drop from your patio to your garden more than 3.0m from the house and you should be grand in relation to guarding. Guarding required 600mm or more not 300mm.

Check with your local BCO - this is relevant in my jurisdiction but your AD may be more onerous.

37 minutes ago, ETC said:

Check out your AD B

Christ on a bike, just started looking at that, part B is for buildings other than dwelling houses but talks about care homes, flats etc 🤷‍♂️. Perhaps I will stick with under 30 sq m and avoid all that sh1t.

39 minutes ago, ETC said:

Also move the drop from your patio to your garden more than 3.0m from the house and you should be grand in relation to guarding. Guarding required 600mm or more not 300mm.

I think you got this mixed up with another thread 🙄

23 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Perhaps I will stick with under 30 sq m and avoid all that sh1t.

Make the slab the size, and shape, you really want, then build to just under 30m2.

Not sure how well you want to insulate it, and if that has to be inside the foot print or outside.

If you make it of TF, or SIP construction, it should be easy to make it longer then no one is looking.

Edited by SteamyTea

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Christ on a bike, just started looking at that, part B is for buildings other than dwelling houses.

I think you’re getting mixed up Joe - there are two parts to AD B - take a look at Volume 1: Dwellings. Look specifically at Unprotected Areas of external walls in relation to the distance from the boundary. Also be mindful - as I said previously - of any notional boundary you may create on your site with the location of your garage.

talks about care homes, flats etc 🤷‍♂️. Perhaps I will stick with under 30 sq m and avoid all that sh1t.

Good idea. But be mindful of the caveats in relation to not needing Building Regulations Approval in relation to building material and distance from your boundary. If in doubt ask your BCO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

I plan to use a log cabin DIY kit. No insulation.

Just what I was looking at yesterday. £7k for a double garage, with these heavy (40mm)  t &g walls.

DG windows incl, but no erection. Dunster House.   Who 's is yours?

Could do with being higher though as the doors are under 6 ft high. Also, getting any roof rack thing in might be tight.

I was thinking of doing a visit to the show field and cribbing the design, then stick building, but that might  not save much if these manufacturers are getting great timber prices.

Fire at boundaries does not necessarily apply if the adjacent area is 'unlikely to be developed'.  eg a road or agricultural land.

I haven't checked if it applies to ancillary buildings, as most garden sheds are probably on boundaries.

Re the 30m2. these  kits are made to just under 30m2, for this reason. If we were doing our own it might have a canopy/ oversail.

Some planners and bcos regard that as extra m2, other don't.

10 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Who 's is yours?

https://www.quick-garden.co.uk/single-wooden-garage-5m-x-6m-16x20-ft-44-mm.html

yes I want it within 2 meters but not within 1 meter of the boundary, which is the stone wall of another cottage. As it’s within 2 meters I need planning because the ridge is over 2.5m high. I am thinking of applying for planning permission with the caveat that if it’s refused I will built it with a flat roof under permitted development but it won’t look as good 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, saveasteading said:

ok that's clear, but who are the suppliers of that garage pictured.

A company called quick-garden ! I did message them to ask for a single 12ft door and they do bespoke but I will have to source the door.

Edited by joe90

1 hour ago, ETC said:

I think you’re getting mixed up Joe - there are two parts to AD B - take a look at Volume 1: Dwellings.

Duh, surely a garage is not a “dwelling”

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/441669/BR_PDF_AD_B2_2013.pdf

this is volume 2 “BUILDINGS OTHER THAN DWELLING HOUSES” and it talks about flats, care homes etc, yes I am confused 🤯

59 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Could do with being higher though as the doors are under 6 ft high. Also, getting any roof rack thing in might be tight.

On the one linked above the doors are about 6ft 6inches high.

Small detached buildings

1.  A detached single storey building, having a floor area which does not exceed 30m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation and is a building—

(a)no point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage; or

(b)which is constructed substantially of non-combustible material.

Part L  (energy) May apply, Part P (electrical) apples, other parts exempt.

as you are over 1m it seems to be ok if under 30m2.

The definition is floor area, so inside the external walls.   guessing 40 mm for cladding, and 80mm stud and sole plate, so 120mm. That is worth about 2.5 m2.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

as you are over 1m it seems to be ok if under 30m2.

I agree, I was just wondering what building regs would apply if I made it slightly larger (6m x6m) (that company linked above do a double garage at 36 sq m)

I would have to check. From memory then.

Over a metre distant and you have to protect the inside wall face, and the building mustn't collapse in fire towards the neighbour.

I would argue that plasterboard inside thd boundary wall would suffice. But bcos will have very different opinions from do nothing to protect all the timber. Therefore you should ask, or be prepared to do more or argue ( I should say debate).