What building regs apply to a wooden garage,?

joe90

So Joe, how are the doors and windows fitted. They cant be fixed to the logs because they have to be allowed to grow and shrink with the seasons. The Dunster house One's have clips on the logs, and the doors that allow the logs to expand and contract. 

1 hour ago, Big Jimbo said:

how are the doors and windows fitted.

They are fixed at the bottom and cover strips either side and top allow the “logs” to shrink, there will be a 35mm gap at the top of both to allow this (I will do you a diagram later, tea break in progress 👍).

• Like 1

My team, yes some joints need a little “modification” and some warping but timber is “natural” so it’s going to move a bit. Hopefully weather tight this weekend 🤞

IMG_0264.jpeg

Edited by joe90

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

They are fixed at the bottom and cover strips either side and top allow the “logs” to shrink, there will be a 35mm gap at the top of both to allow this (I will do you a diagram later, tea break in progress 👍).

Mine was something similar, I describe it as over sized architraves that are only fixed to the window and doors that let these unit float in the opening, same on both sides 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Interesting. I'd put more wood treatment on those cut ends, however well they say it's treated.

Nothing is treated apart from the base plate (which I also inserted to the plastic battens. Yes I have the wood treatment ready and compressor etc to spray it (so it goes into all the joints). But i will be brushing an additional coat on the cut ends first. I am thinking of using flooring varnish on the inside 🤷‍♂️.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, joe90 said:

I am thinking of using flooring varnish on the inside

While I am always uncertain about using vanished because of the unknown moisture breathability. Not that it will really matter on this as left untreated it would probably last 20+ years.

The floor varnish I used on my cheap parquet flooring was a polyurethane one. First time I tried a PU vanish.

Apart from where it is physically worn away, it has lasted very well. Where I had a leak in the kitchen (just a small one that went undetected for a couple of years), the adhesive holding down the parquet failed, causing the timber to swell, then bulge up. That was the sign that there was a leak.

Well a couple of fruitful days and mostly finished, pottering to do with facia,s and eves etc and roof shingles, could not have done it without my Team, my mate and his wife who both worked very hard. Just need to talk to garage door people about what to buy but I think an ordinary up and over will be fine for what I want.

IMG_0268.jpeg

• Like 3

On 14/06/2023 at 20:36, SteamyTea said:

Have glued a bit of ply to it. Hope I held it in place long enough.

Shall see what is what on my next visit.

Resize_20230614_203505_5399.thumb.jpg.987ea62c52f6784585ea63d1916a8963.jpg

Remember me doing this, well I am back at the same place, bit of ply still holds firm.

So ten weeks of emmets playing about and no failure.

Not sure how long the bench will be here as the cafe us closing down. Hopefully the benches will stay.

IMG_20230826_153940362.jpg

Edited by SteamyTea

Well the neoprene gasket under the plastic base didn’t work despite being screwed down tight, rain hitting the outside slab runs under it in a few places so I guess I will be using brown silicone 🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Well the neoprene gasket under the plastic base didn’t work despite being screwed down tight, rain hitting the outside slab runs under it in a few places so I guess I will be using brown silicone 🤷‍♂️

I put three lines of Stixall under the plastic wood and the rain still ran under in a few places as well. So I sealed the outside of the join of the plasic wood to concrete with Soudal Fixall Crystal Clear and it's been OK since.

11 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Can you jack/crowbar it up an inch or two,

NO, it’s screwed down to the concrete and screws not accessible 

1 hour ago, Gone West said:

I sealed the outside of the join of the plasic wood to concrete with Soudal Fixall Crystal Clear and it's been OK since.

Sounds like a plan, just need to wait till it’s dry 👍

On 20/08/2023 at 16:54, joe90 said:

Just need to talk to garage door people about what to buy but I think an ordinary up and over will be fine for what I want.

I have no regrets getting a cheap ebay electric roller door. It fits on the inside and there is no reduction in the opening area. 

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

I have no regrets getting a cheap ebay electric roller door. It fits on the inside and there is no reduction in the opening area. 

I too had an electric roller door on my last workshop which was brilliant but I don’t have the headroom in this “log” type garage fir one unfortunately.

• 2 months later...