Timber Cladding Fixings

Barney12

I need to sort out the fixings for the dormer cladding. Its Cedar so that means stainless steel.

My head is telling me to keep away from the Paslode as its a bit cumbersome for detailed cladding work?

My weapon of choice in the workshop is a compressed air 18g brad nailer. Super accurate and clean finish but I don't think brads will be up to the job of holding cladding tight?

So is it out with the Eastwing (Just to keep @Construction Channel happy) with ring shank and lost head? Something like: https://www.tradefixdirect.com/stainless-steel-nails/a2-stainless-steel-annular-ring-lost-head-nails-60-x-3mm

But then I'm also half tempted to screw them. I like screwing things; its feels proper! These could work well: Screwfix Spax

Help me decide! :(

Edited by Barney12
Changed link to screws

How long have you got? and how hard will access be later?

if you are on a timescale and can get back to it later brads will probably do the job but there will always be one that kicks that you will have to stick a screw in after a season or 2,

if are not on a timescale and you dont want to see the fixings go for the lost heads and a punch (glad to hear you have a decent hammer ;) )

Screws do look nice but they also take a lot longer and you have got to make sure they are all placed the same and perfectly in line, if you are just a little bit off it will look horrendous.

last time we did it with screws i made a little jig to make sure the screws were all the same distance from the edges,

then there is cost........ 

if you have time and the budget i would use the screws, in pairs, through the face. countersunk to just below the surface, 

You're right to steer clear of the Paslode- clipped head nails won't look right, and the striking pin will mark the wood.

Ideally you want a coil nailer using full head nails. I got mine for £50 off eBay, so they don't have to be expensive, but I already had the compressor and hose.

For a small job like a couple of dormers, I would probably just Estwing it...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

How long have you got? and how hard will access be later?

if you are on a timescale and can get back to it later brads will probably do the job but there will always be one that kicks that you will have to stick a screw in after a season or 2,

if are not on a timescale and you dont want to see the fixings go for the lost heads and a punch (glad to hear you have a decent hammer ;) )

Screws do look nice but they also take a lot longer and you have got to make sure they are all placed the same and perfectly in line, if you are just a little bit off it will look horrendous.

last time we did it with screws i made a little jig to make sure the screws were all the same distance from the edges,

then there is cost........ 

if you have time and the budget i would use the screws, in pairs, through the face. countersunk to just below the surface, 

Im not going back on that bloody roof in a hurry. Its nearly killing me :) So I'm striking brads off the list.

I like the jig idea!

48 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I too have used a coil nailer,stainless with a twisted shank, stays in place like a ring shank 

i will see if I have a couple about for a pic. 

Do you want a visible head or hidden. 

Dont mind visibile as long as it looks right. They'll have to line up otherwise I'll just get angry every time I look at it! :/ 

Googling coil nailer just for interest. I won't buy one. Well I might. I like tools. Even the ones I only use once :D 

Edited by Barney12

Mine is just the el cheapo Clarke jobbie, RRP well under £100, and it's clad my entire house without complaint. Oh and it did all of the sarking and much of the sheathing too. Total spend was around £140 including the (brand new) compressor and hoses.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

If it's T&G cladding then why not brads through the top edge into every batten ..?? Completely hidden and the paslode (assuming it's not a first fix one) will be fine ..!

No, its halflap and the advice from the supplier is not to screw or nail the tounge.596e62e6904d1_ProfileType.jpg.424ea29ea74e04ef33ff4dfc25a7d271.jpg

Can you imagine this in stainless, I fired them out of the coil nailer, but any near the end I pre drilled and banged in with the estwing. 

I suppose if you need to pre drill a few screws might be better. 

On my last place I priced to do it in screws and it was £500 dearer than nails. 

Have you much to do or just the dormers. 

IMG_3113.JPG

18 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Just the dormers and about 20m2 so not a huge area. 

Get @Onoff to hand make you 200 copper screws .....

or more seriously use brass slot head screws but line them up nicely .....   

Those Spax st/st ones every time. My mate used this place for his Spax (decking) screws and even with delivery they WERE loads cheaper than Screwfix:

https://www.klokow-gmbh.de

Don't know about now after the Brexit thing.

(Just make sure all the Torx heads are at the same orientation or it'll drive you nuts :) )

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Went with the Spax stainless 20170730_132615251_iOS.thumb.jpg.a19fc8ffcc056555b890558b3bdf0338.jpgin the end. If it would only stop raining I could get it finished. :/ 

So that's battens on battens on a rolling tower scaffold on fixed scaffold with no handrails ........

Have you tried skyhooks as a safety harness ..??

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So that's battens on battens on a rolling tower scaffold on fixed scaffold with no handrails ........

Have you tried skyhooks as a safety harness ..??

No, but the edges are clearly defined with tartan paint ;)

I'm up and down those battens like a whores knickers. Not bad for someone who has no lateral movement in his ankles. Mind you if I so much as stand on a pebble and I'm on the floor. 

It it all adds to the excitement. 

The job is done. 

If anyone is wondering how fast Sioo:x changes the colour of cedar then look at the centre panel (between the windows) 20170805_143608567_iOS.thumb.jpg.2bc9c944b156dc1641832a0bc592311e.jpgwhich I didn't install until this morning compared to the rest over a week ago. It was hand applied and I seem to remember @iSelfBuild saying that his hand applied Sioo coated cedar went grey very quickly. As I understand it it's rain and sun that accelerates the process and its lashed it down a fair few times in the last week. 

• Like 2

Hi Barney,

Yep the hand applied SIOO treated larch has almost bleached. You can see the difference on this video - 

We DIY applied the SIOO for the fascias. The cladding was done in a factory... they probably used way less. I love the finish it gives.

46 minutes ago, iSelfBuild said:

Hi Barney,

Yep the hand applied SIOO treated larch has almost bleached. You can see the difference on this video - 

We DIY applied the SIOO for the fascias. The cladding was done in a factory... they probably used way less. I love the finish it gives.

Yes, I'm really impressed. It really tones down the Cedar shades which creates a more uniformed finish. 

I'm hoping it goes a lovely silver grey patina. 

I found the coverage rate to be a fair bit less than they advertise. 

Those annular, lost head tradefix ones are exactly what we have gone for, we are using T&G western red cedar, finding stainless was actually a wee bit of a challenge. Hope to be on to that soon, still osmo oiling the stuff!

• 4 years later...

Old thread revival - I'm just about to embark on this journey.

I have 100m2 of Siberian Larch to put up on the soffits which are angled plus I have a huge canopy area. The timber is T&G and will be face fixed.

The fixings will be stainless, but I am stuck on the type. 

Ideally I would nail it for speed, my joiner has offered up using the paslode and he has a no mark tip and would use like the small nails you use for doing skirtings so you lose the head - but he wanted to gorilla glue it also and thinks that will work well to hold it - but I am doubtful the glue is a good idea as nobody seems to do that. 

The lost head nails look like a good shout if you get annular ring shank type that can get shot from the gun - only thing holding me back from this is that the supplier said that you shouldn't break the surface of the timber with the fixing - so to use full head type that you would get with a coil nailer. Alternative is to use the screws, but the time and costs might be excessive? 

So a final question or two:

1) Would nailing with the full head be best for speed? or shoudl screws be the best bet? 

2) In either case - shoudl I be thinking about pre drilling all the holes? as Siberian larch is so dense I hear that it's wise to do this? 

any input appreciated.