Hello! Will be doing some landscaping work in the garden and thinking of hiring a mini digger. Any recommendations for a reliable hire company in southeast london? Anything I need to think about before hiring a digger - think I might need insurance?

The insurance may be bundled or added to the bundle if you ask.

It is generally a more than proportional benefit to go 1 or 2 sizes up from a micro-digger of the type that fits through your front door. The first time I had a digger I went for a 1.5 tonne, and did not regret it.

It is absolutely essential - or that is what you tell the management - to have a day at Diggerland first to make sure you can handle it safely.

Think carefully about whether a digger or digger + driver is the better option. Digger + driver will do 2 or 3x your work if you are new, but you will miss out on the fun.

Delivered is probably a better option than self-collect.

If you know a man with a JCB (perhaps a farmer or smallholder) that can be a very inexpensive and productive option.

"How far do I think this can be leaned before it falls over" games are very tempting (were for me), but on balance not worth the risk. Particularly do not drop it into a hole you just dug ... that would go viral.

And enjoy having one.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Thanks Ferdinand! It would be fun to drive a digger around the garden, but you're right that it might be safer to hire a professional to drive it. Thinking of a 1.5T over the micro 0.8T. I'll have to look into insurance - the hire companies I've been calling say I need to arrange it myself. 

I think there is a limited window of opportunity, so renting makes sense....

Have debated buying a digger, man maths at its finest. Biggest deterrent is the frequency that they seem to get stolen...

Will try not to roll anything!

1 hour ago, Jimbouk said:

I think there is a limited window of opportunity, so renting makes sense....

Have debated buying a digger, man maths at its finest. Biggest deterrent is the frequency that they seem to get stolen...

Will try not to roll anything!

If you want the maths, I bought mine, nearly 3 years later I sold it for the same amount. It only cost me the delivery charge, some diesel, and some minor servicing to have it all that time.

I still miss Doug.

My last one I had DataTag marked and we put the stickers very prominently. When they broke into the compound they moved it (next door units CCTV even showed their trailer etc was capable of taking it) and they appeared to have a key to start it. They left with some smaller stuff including pushing a power barrow with a duff gearbox onto the trailer.

Police said that in all likelihood they left the mini digger as it was tagged. Cost me about £250 I think - less than the excess on the insurance. 

6 minutes ago, Jimbouk said:

Please stop encouraging me to buy stuff ! It is a wet Saturday morning, surfing eBay, currently trying to convince myself not to bid on a boat, I dare not start looking at diggers.

;)

Crikey. One day of rain and you think you need a boat :S. You in the Everglades ? 

:D

Do you have experience of a digger? Cos if not and it's a smallish job, don't waste your time with the learning curve ;)  I bought one and it's been a fantastic buy. I found it extremely frustrating at first but I'm very lucky as one of my best mates has been using them for years and makes things look so easy when he helps me

@Vijay no experience at all! That's why I want one! Fortunate that for the period of the hire I have a couple of friends with lots of experience helping out... they too keep on looking at digger manmaths, think they were hoping I might have purchased one!

@ProDave have access to an estuary at the bottom our site, it is inevitable, just not a priority in the way a kitchen is....

@recoveringacademic this isn't helping.

Have you tried ( commercial link removed ) Had a great experience with them last week for a 1.5T digger. Needed it last minute and they sorted it with insurance.

I'd definitely look at hiring one of the micros depending on what you need it for, much easier to operate and can fit almost anywhere!  

Most of all have fun driving one!

edited to remove commercial link. Please PM the op if you need any further details. ;)  

Edited by Nickfromwales
Commercial link removed