altimeter for ground level, are phone apps any good

LSB

We have just levelled some ground in our barn conversion ready to dig a foundation trench for the 'not wall', the barn has walls on 3 sides, but the 4th side was open.

We know the trench must be 1m deep and we are going to do this from the base of the old floor at one end, but that is far from level in its length, it looks about 20cm difference from one end to the other so we can't use that as our guide line.

As the wall is 18m long we want to make sure that the top is flat and I thought that perhaps I could use an altimeter app on my phone, but there are 100's and the one's I've looked at have no decimal places just saying 2m which isn't accurate enough.

I've tried my GPS, but that feature is not on this model, I've tried the laser level, but although I can shine a laser at a consistent level I really want something I can put on a tripod / pole / spirit level at various points in the trench.

As this will be filled with concrete does it have to be super accurate as long as the top of the concrete is.

Google suggested Google Earth, but I can't figure out how to get the decimal places.

Can anyone suggest how we do this ourselves as I don't want to get a surveyor for one trench.

Do you have a laser level? 

I did my garage with a cheap one from Lidl. Just attach it at one side of the site onto something solid that won't move. 

Use a story pole ( like a 3x2" stick) to take a measurement of a known height (eg the floor) and hey presto you can transfer all heights around the site.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

Do you have a laser level? 

I did my garage with a cheap one from Lidl. Just attach it at one side of the site onto something solid that won't move. 

Use a story pole ( like a 3x2" stick) to take a measurement of a known height (eg the floor) and hey presto you can transfer all heights around the site.

Hi we do have a laser level that sits on a tripod, I will try that

IMO you can't beat a Laser Level or even a good old Dumpy.  We bought a Dumpy off eBay and sold it when done a couple of years later for a net loss of just over £50 IIRC.  Worth every penny.  Don't get two uptight about absolute elevation.  We just used a nominal datum on the public footpath outside our driveway.  All that the LPA care about is relative heights for the street scene.

1 hour ago, TerryE said:

IMO you can't beat a Laser Level or even a good old Dumpy.  We bought a Dumpy off eBay and sold it when done a couple of years later for a net loss of just over £50 IIRC.  Worth every penny.  Don't get two uptight about absolute elevation.  We just used a nominal datum on the public footpath outside our driveway.  All that the LPA care about is relative heights for the street scene.

What is a Dumpy, not heard of them

5 hours ago, Radian said:

Neither altimeter or GPS are going to be any where near accurate enough. Maybe to the nearest 2m but that's about it

Interesting, I put my GPS logger on today, drove 600 miles, parked back in my drive and the altitude gap was 2' (600mm).

But I think a simple water level is the easy way for house stuff.

There was a 'thing' in Google Earth were you could run the cursor over an area and it would work out the heights to quite good accuracy.

Can't for the life of me remember how to do it.

May have been this:

View Path's Elevation Profile

https://support.google.com/earth/answer/148134?hl=en

I am too tired to try it now.

Actually, I tried it.

Dead easy, but not sure how accurate it is.

image.png.674db4b77bf729a1a685151861250ed3.png

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Interesting, I put my GPS logger on today, drove 600 miles, parked back in my drive and the altitude gap was 2' (600mm).

GPS suffers from Dilution Of Precision due to the changing geometry of satellites as they orbit relative to ground locations. Altitude error is generally specified as having 1.5 times the horizontal error - which itself is in the order of a few meters. Your results are surprisingly close! I'd say more down to luck than precision and accuracy was probably way off.

You can do much better by measuring air pressure. Very roughly speaking, referenced to an air pressure of 1000mb at sea level, pressure falls reasonably linearly to 500mb at an altitude of 5000m (with half of the Earth's atmosphere sitting below this altitude) so pressure changes by around 0.1 mb/m. A typical digital pressure transducer is only precise to this sort of amount so you could only use one to estimate height to within 1m steps. A fancy one might improve on this by a factor of 10 but would be difficult to get repeatable measurement's from it.

23 hours ago, Tom said:

https://www.groundscare-products.co.uk/mobile/ziplevel.html

Forget lasers, go for one of these! I bought a second hand one in the summer and it's an incredible piece of kit. Accurate down to 0.1mm if you ever need it to be...

What's the working principle behind these? I'm at a loss to guess. You say accurate to 0.1mm but the picture shows a precision of 0.01mm (the width of a sheet of paper) which would be truly remarkable.

On 08/01/2023 at 20:01, LSB said:

What is a Dumpy, not heard of them

Theodolite, which is a challenge to spell or even say, hence the common term ... which I don’t know the origins of thinking about it ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bonner said:

Theodolite, which is a challenge to spell or even say, hence the common term ... which I don’t know the origins of thinking about it ...

Dumpy level is not a theodolite, dumpy is a small automatic level and theodolite is for measuring vertical and horizontal angles/setting out etc.

pic here is a dumpy level.image.thumb.jpg.bf5353961f3787bfdcc5afbec5c0edce.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

You do wonder don't you!

The fact that there's a "cable" connection between the display unit and a "cable" dispenser reel must be the giveaway. I use scare quotes around "cable" because it might not be electrical. But if its a flexible tube containing liquid or gas I can't figure out how that could work. But on the other hand, if it's an electrical link, why didn't they make it wireless and have unlimited range between the two ends? I'm beginning to think it's atmospheric air in a tube with an extremely sensitive pressure transducer at each end.

Found this quote on Google: but the associated link does not work.

"ZIPLEVEL® is a high precision pressurized hydrostatic altimeter. It works much like an aircraft altimeter that measures the weight of the air above it except that ZIPLEVEL does not use the atmosphere to measure elevation."

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Radian said:

What's the working principle behind these? I'm at a loss to guess. You say accurate to 0.1mm but the picture shows a precision of 0.01mm (the width of a sheet of paper) which would be truly remarkable.

The cable is filled with a liquid if I remember correctly. They have been around for 20+ years I think, originally made by Stanley but then bought out and renamed Ziplevel. They seem to be more popular in the US but since I've been using mine I don't know why they aren't more popular here. It really is extremely quick and easy to use. As for accuracy, rechecked the bumpf and it seems is accurate closer to 0.2mm (picture showed 0.01 inches), still not bad!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/01/2023 at 08:28, markc said:

Dumpy level is not a theodolite, dumpy is a small automatic level and theodolite is for measuring vertical and horizontal angles/setting out etc.

pic here is a dumpy level.image.thumb.jpg.bf5353961f3787bfdcc5afbec5c0edce.jpg

ooh, that's a nice shiny bit of kit which HID would want instantly if he saw it

• Like 1

we decided to try a water level, cheap and cheerful, first one arrived, only a plastic tube and no syringes to measure.

returned and another one ordered so going to try today.  We know it's not level so that will be a good start as it will be easy to get more accurate.

There is one patch that is quite a bit lower, we have plenty of spare soil to top up, but that will then need to be shored up for trench as it won't be solid enough.

First though is persuading the dumper / digger to start in negative temperature.

2 minutes ago, LSB said:

We know it's not level so that will be a good start as it will be easy to get more accurate.

There is one patch that is quite a bit lower, we have plenty of spare soil to top up, but that will then need to be shored up for trench as it won't be solid enough.

You are doing that backwards.

Dig the trench to the depth required, pour the foundations, build the wall and THEN fill in any low ground to build it up.

Remember building up ground inside the building that will support a floor can't be done with any old spare soil, it must be inert and clean and something that will compact well in layers.

Your general "spare soil" pile is only of use for landscaping outside the building.

We bought in several lorry loads in inert non organic infill to build up the solum and used all the spare excavated soil to level the garden.

• Confused 1

thank ProDave, but the complication here is that HID want to use concrete rather than blocks to fill the trench so he doesn't have to lay foundation blocks under the ground.

Thinking about it, the lower ground isn't that much difference to the rest that it will affect deep concrete.

Thanks for the advice.