Feck - frozen ufh causing leaks?

Moonshine

My build is getting cold at night and ufh pipes are in, water is in them up to a pressure of one bar.

Water in hose pipes are frozen and just checked in my build.

I am seeing wet spots on the screed, unless it's my trades spilling thier teas it really looks like the ufh is leaking, feck.

20221212_182927_compress13.thumb.jpg.d07c03b4dc5cf0fc517ff8c55a28a0e2.jpg

13 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

The pipes are really strong.  Unless the temperature indoors got really low I don't think it could be leaking pipework.  Can you see if they are frozen at the manifold?

The indoors is cold, as it hasn't got a couple of external doors fitted.

I will try the drain valve and see if anything comes out, though that doesn't mean to say its not frozen elsewhere 

Edit: released the drain values on the inlet and out let of the manifold quite a lot, only a low flow came out of each. Gut says it's all pretty much frozen.

Edited by Moonshine

12 minutes ago, NSS said:

Is there no antifreeze in the pipes?

No I don't believe plumber put any in, it was filled a while back when it was really hot.

Though the plumber has been back over the last few weeks doing first fix plumbing when it was really cold, never mentioned anything or putting antifreeze in.

9 minutes ago, Radian said:

Good thinking to mark out the outline of the corpse wet patch on the floor. Are the drain valves still open? 

Just gone back in, wet patches have returned (there are about 4 locations), f$%k.

I just opened them so a short while and closed them back up.

20221212_194425_compress95.thumb.jpg.1d904488bcaa5ef28df1933d9b5c703b.jpg

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Moonshine said:

Water in hose pipes are frozen and just checked

What exactly makes you think it has frozen?  You’ve got water coming out of the manifolds which will be colder than in screed. Also you had 1 bar of pressure. If it has frozen, you might expect the pressure either off the scale due to expansion, or zero if it’s leaking (although it depends if and where an ice plug may have formed). I would be surprised if it has frozen and even more surprised if UFH pipe has burst.

• Like 1