Cheapest driveway

Vijay

Wondered if anyone can help on solutions for the cheapest drive for a car. I may want to finish it off nicely in the future but need something pretty quick and easy. I'm wondering if I dig down 150mm and whack down type 1, would that suffice?   Maybe throw down shingles on top?

Cheers

Vijay

We have compacted type 1, then crushed lime stone.  Any gravel type protects you use, make sure you specify a crushed rock and not sand washed (rounded) pebble.  Crushed rock locks its self together, so it compacts and doesn't move much.  Anything rounds just moves about and is a complete pain.

3 hours ago, JohnMo said:

We have compacted type 1, then crushed lime stone.  Any gravel type protects you use, make sure you specify a crushed rock and not sand washed (rounded) pebble.  Crushed rock locks its self together, so it compacts and doesn't move much.  Anything rounds just moves about and is a complete pain.

Exactly that - we have used 20mm granite chippings on compacted type 1 and haven't had a problem since it went down some 4 years ago. A couple photos to help.

image.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_3545 (2).jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

Exactly that - we have used 20mm granite chippings on compacted type 1 and haven't had a problem since it went down some 4 years ago. A couple photos to help.

Simple, looks good and suits your property & surroundings.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, PeterW said:

Road planings are cheap and make a decent sub base 

That’s all I used (they were resurfacing roads near me and I got it cheap as I was close). Drive still not finished but block paving on paths and patio on top of it has worked well.

56 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

image.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_3545 (2).jpg

Really like that. Any idea what depth of sub base and top layer of granite chippings you did?

@Vijay I'm not sure of the measurements etc - From the outset of the build, the "driveway" was used as main entrance so over the months the build progressed, we may have topped up with MOT 1 - Somehow the figure of 20 Tonnes comes to mind. The same quantity of chippings too I believe. Sorry, that the best I can offer.

For completeness, the landscaper allowed me to order materials using his account so I benefitted from his discounts. 

I used 150 mm type 1 and whacked it in 2 layers. Then left it a couple of months and scraped any bumps out  and whacked again. Then I laid  about 20 mm of basalt clippings on top and whacked it again this bonded it to the MOT then I topped it up with another 20 mm. Lasted for years without any problems other than a quick rake over once every 6 months or so. 

19 hours ago, Redoctober said:

@Vijay I'm not sure of the measurements etc - From the outset of the build, the "driveway" was used as main entrance so over the months the build progressed, we may have topped up with MOT 1 - Somehow the figure of 20 Tonnes comes to mind. The same quantity of chippings too I believe. Sorry, that the best I can offer.

For completeness, the landscaper allowed me to order materials using his account so I benefitted from his discounts. 

were the granite chippings just spread or compacted down in any way?

11 hours ago, Canski said:

I used 150 mm type 1 and whacked it in 2 layers. Then left it a couple of months and scraped any bumps out  and whacked again. Then I laid  about 20 mm of basalt clippings on top and whacked it again this bonded it to the MOT then I topped it up with another 20 mm. Lasted for years without any problems other than a quick rake over once every 6 months or so. 

was the top layer of clippings just laid or compacted down at all?

sorry if this is a sucking eggs comment but if going for gravel “chuckies” (as they call them where I’m from), get a quote direct from quarries in particular independent ones.  I paid £22 per tonne, including VAT & delivery, for a lorry load of loose tipped 20mm granite a couple of months ago .  Avoid 1 tonne bags from builders merchants unless you only need a small quantity.

• Like 1

cheers everyone. Looks like the Mrs likes the granite stones so that could be the way to go :)

Will absolutely look at ordering direct from quarries, although it would have to be dumped onto the road if tipped..................

• Like 1

If after spreading and compacting the road planings you pour oil engine oil or just some paint thinners on it you can then roll it and get the surface close to tarmacadam plus it sets a lot harder especially if you do it on a warm sunny day. 

On sloping drives with lots of rain I use a mesh to stop the 20mm gravel being washed away.

If you have used gravel that's too near to pebbles on a driveway and its rutting then after flattening sprinkle neat cement dust on the surface and then brush it in so the surface is clean prior to a rainy day. The cement dust will grab onto the surface of the pebbles and roughen them up reducing the ruts. 

PXL_20220801_103004519.MP.jpg