Steep driveway costing me my marriage

Adsibob

Muck on top of the hardcore is  back to front to me. You seemed to think so hence your question.

12 hours ago, Adsibob said:

not really a building material appropriate for the sub-base of

I am confused why you first question the logic and seek confirmation on here, snd now defend it.

Your builder is persuasive perhaps, or it would be an issue to dig it out again. 

8 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I am confused why you first question the logic and seek confirmation on here, snd now defend it.

Your builder is persuasive perhaps, or it would be an issue to dig it out again. 

I asked a question here to get some reassurance. I then got further clarity from the builder as to what the plan was, which probably negated my question, but I posted the info here for info, in case helpful to others in the future.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Looks very nice 😊 

Thanks. Yes we are very happy. The slope is very gradual, so really feels so much safer and easier than the crazy 12 to 13.5 degree slope we had before. Bins look a bit ugly and prominent, but I am assured the planters around them are big enough to grow sufficient bamboo to cover them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Wheely bins really are the invention of the devil.

Depends on location, in Cornwall we still have black bags and most people in the countryside end up buying a wheelie bin to stop vermin scattering rubbish. We are also still on small coloured sacks for recycling so I use a wheelbarrow to move them all on recycling day. 

once they are camouflaged they will be great and can nearly put themselves out. 

Looks great. I like the idea of rotating your bins based on pickup date and might incorporate that into our plans but I fear access to sticking your rubbish into bins two and three might be a right pain. 

44 minutes ago, eandg said:

Looks great. I like the idea of rotating your bins based on pickup date and might incorporate that into our plans but I fear access to sticking your rubbish into bins two and three might be a right pain. 

Access would have been a pain had the builder carried out my initial instructions, which was to make the planter in front of the bin as wide as possible to maximise space for the bamboo. But the builder persuaded me to have a little access room, so there is enough space for me to walk along side the bins all the way in to bin 3. Still have a planter that is about 40cm wide (and runs alongside all the bins) to fill with bamboo.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Susie said:

in Cornwall we still have black bags and most people in the countryside end up buying a wheelie bin to stop vermin scattering rubbish

Are you saying that the common/herring gull is vermin, it is a protected species you know.

I like having black bags, wheely bins blow down the street on a windy day, damaging cars.

9 hours ago, Adsibob said:

but I am assured the planters around them are big enough to grow sufficient bamboo to cover them.

I have some golden rod bamboo and it grows easily in a builders bucket.

IMG_20230712_065412037_HDR.jpg

Edited by SteamyTea

Just now, SteamyTea said:

Are you saying that the common/herring gull is vermin, it is a protected species you know.

No it’s the foxes and rats etc   I tried the bird proof sack we can buy but my drive is 150m long so the wheelie bin is easier. 
we don’t have as many gulls up here on the north coast as we have less tourists eating fish n chips and pasties. 😂

I get your point on the steep roads though and they can be a pain for emergency vehicles getting through.   

@Adsibob, very nice and crisp, glad you got there in the end. 👍

when I lived in Devon we had black bags and they were always being torn into by vermin, now in Gloucestershire and the bins are far better and easy to disguise with some thought.