Low first floor window - solution needed

Paene Finitur

We've been told by LABC that one of the windows in a bedroom on the first floor is too low and needs some kind of guard to prevent someone falling out (the windows do have child locks built in) Naturally, we're annoyed that this wasn't picked up earlier when building control signed off the plans, and it's too late now to replace the window.

I was thinking of putting some bars across, but the LABC guy said this wouldn't be sufficient as a child could climb the bars. He's suggested a toughened glass barrier. Personally I think this would be pretty intrusive but also probably very expensive. To be brutally honest, I doubt this is a feature that I'd want to keep long term.

I wondered if anyone had experience of this and what was acceptable from a building control standpoint?

I can't remember the rules, but I think windows may also need safety glass if below a certain height. I think anything you do on the inside is going look a bit 'unusual'.  How big a job is it to move the window, or replace with a laminated non-opener?

• Like 1

No reason for it to be picked up in ‘the plans’ and you can have low level windows but they have to be protected so either not opening at all, or only top part opening and any low level glass must be toughened and laminated 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

but I think windows may also need safety glass if below a certain height.

Yes,

also this from NHBC. 
“The window must be prevented from opening more than 100mm in order to comply with Part K.”

I have seen this on hotel windows by a short flexible cable fixed from frame to openable window, also any guarding must not be climeable .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paene Finitur said:

Thanks all. I've emailed him to ask whether a jaclock (short cable restraint) would suffice. Fingers crossed.

It will be fine as long as the glass is toughened and laminated and they will want to see paperwork to prove.

23 hours ago, Paene Finitur said:

We've been told by LABC that one of the windows in a bedroom on the first floor is too low and needs some kind of guard to prevent someone falling out (the windows do have child locks built in) Naturally, we're annoyed that this wasn't picked up earlier when building control signed off the plans, and it's too late now to replace the window.

I was thinking of putting some bars across, but the LABC guy said this wouldn't be sufficient as a child could climb the bars. He's suggested a toughened glass barrier. Personally I think this would be pretty intrusive but also probably very expensive. To be brutally honest, I doubt this is a feature that I'd want to keep long term.

I wondered if anyone had experience of this and what was acceptable from a building control standpoint?

If its not a fire escape window make it non-opening (remove handles). Get signed off, re-attach handles.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bonner said:

I have the same problem, first floor windows at 600mm from floor level ... but several are fire escape windows. Can I get an opening restrictor which also allows escape in an emergency (acceptable to BC)?

The feedback from the Warranty surveyor has been receptive to using a jaclock although they've asked me to check with building control. Point about escape windows is a good one though, as I chose the permanent version which is probably more suitable to third floor and above where window escape is not a realistic possibility. So do I go with a key version and keep the key nearby? What if someone unlocks it and leaves it unlocked? You could really end up overthinking this.

On 13/09/2022 at 07:41, Paene Finitur said:

Firstly - if the window is at first floor level only and the height of the opening is less than 800mm above the floor level then the glass needs to be safety glass to act as guarding.

Secondly - if the window can also open more than 100mm then then window needs guarding so that someone cannot fall out. The solution is simple - fit a non-lockable restrictor stay. Not one with a lock as shown by a previous poster. These do not comply. Fit something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Window-Restrictor-Hook-Safety-Handed/dp/B00D9190BM/ref=asc_df_B00D9190BM/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=214440742293&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10205647162280157693&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007277&hvtargid=pla-421872985378&psc=1

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ETC said:

...  Not one with a lock as shown by a previous poster. These do not comply. 

This is strange as the windows already have child locks built in. When you open them, they open a max of 8-10cm, but there's a button inside the rim that, when pressed, allows it to open to full extent. I don't see how the linked item is any safer than that really, although I accept that one might be acceptable to building control and the other not for reasons I don't understand. I would guess the window would have to be openable by a competent adult (or even child) in an emergency, to meet fire regulations?

On 14/09/2022 at 19:37, Bonner said:

I have the same problem, first floor windows at 600mm from floor level ... but several are fire escape windows. Can I get an opening restrictor which also allows escape in an emergency (acceptable to BC)?

Yes you can. See my post above for restrictor specification.