Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Next question.....

I need, very shortly to drill a hole in the top (?) of the cistern and run a pipe up into the loft. This, for an "odour" take off pipe alluded to elsewhere. Easiest for me would be a bit of 20mm flexible conduit and an M20 stuffing gland siliconed in. Sound about right?

32mm tank connector for pvc MIN.

20mm will be quite inadequate imo. 

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

32mm tank connector for pvc MIN.

20mm will be quite inadequate imo. 

Christ! There'll be squirrels getting in! :)

Still got to decide what to connect it to in the loft in the absence of any MVHR.

Ended up a bit short on one of the studs I'd resined into the wall! :(

Had to introduce another studding connector, so there's the original Geberit stud on the left, then a 30mm bit of studding between the two connectors in the photo then the stud into the wall:

20170408_180140

44 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

@Onoff

This sounds like Hickory, Dickory, Dock.

Sadly I can see where you're coming from...

I need very shortly

To drill a hole in the top

Of the cistern and run

A pipe into the loft

A small fan I'll source

From an old pc

To rid the pan of the smell

Of wee and faeces 

9 hours ago, Onoff said:

Sadly I can see where you're coming from...

I need very shortly

To drill a hole in the top

Of the cistern and run

A pipe into the loft

A small fan I'll source

From an old pc

To rid the pan of the smell

Of wee and faeces 

You don't need poems!

Arguably the odd verse from a few hymns or the odd prayer could help as frankly only the Lord himself might help get that bathroom finished. :D 

• Like 1

"Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your bathroom will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily thread update, and forgive us our threats, as we also have given up it being better. And lead us not into Toolstation, but deliver us from evilbay."

My Methodist lay preaching mother may see me flogged for that :D

Pass the wine. 

• Like 2

Got the wet room corner clear (thanks to the totes etc). Hoping a tidy space would give me some impetus.....but NO, just more questions!

1) From concrete floor to ceiling is nom. 2470mm. Plan is to tile to the full height. But whether to go horizontal or vertical?

20170411_190441

20170411_190530

I think I need to do it so the bottom tile is the one that gets cut so that can follow the falls when I cast the wet room corner?

2) Need to make a 45 deg section in the studwork to support the angled tile face. Pretty sure @Nickfromwalesdid the corner square first THEN did the mitre bit?

3) Need to source a suitable shower valve. Must have a removable hose /spray AND overhead facility - possibly ceiling mounted.

4) Pockets, one each side, but what height? Thinking on lines of Part M (plus convenience in later life). No higher than 1200mm like light switches?

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

40 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Erm...that's nice...what am I looking at? :)

I hid that whilst it was WIP so I'm confused how you grabbed a quote off it :S

I typed a load of text out and then it vanished, lost to the never ending vortex of the tinternet, never to be seen again. I then started typing again and then it was "get off the iPad and put the girls to bed!" so I'll chuffing well try again. This editor is NOT the greatest :(

Give me 5.........

Right, take two ?

Typed under the assumption you have a laser level. If you haven't, then buy one lol. Anyhoo...

Id go landscape with that size tile but it's not my ( or your ) bathroom ( it's swmbos ) so see how that works out. ;)

Your bath is the focal point, so you need to get the cuts looking good on that first. Ping a line around the room from the horizontal deck of the bath, and see where the bottom tile will end up at the shower corner, holding a tile on the line and counting down. Your right, you'll need to extend down past the floor / wall junction to reach the lowest point of the wet floor so see how that ends up looking.

Once you have established a happy medium between the bath top edge, and the shower bottom edge you'll have a datum line for your first grout line from the floor. Use a tile to mark each grout line up the wall and then grab the laser and sit it on each line from floor to ceiling. Check the lines for conflicts with things you want to tile to / around, like the pocket shelves and raise lower it according to how much play your first line-out will allow. 

I always set the pocket shelves out, where possible, to be divisible between one or two tile courses, so you have factory edges to set the chrome trim against. See pic. Those trims are against the uncut tile edges and it makes life, and tiling, much easier and neater of you can work this all in together. 

Iirc, you've already made the boxes for the shelf to reside, so all the more important to carry out my first rule, which is to set out and ping lines around to get the best datum / start point, according to which one will NOT give you a tiny rip at the top of the bath or around the pocket shelf.

After that, check the window for cuts and then repeat with the vertical, again checking that you'll not end up with any near misses or small slivers of tile. 

Make any sense? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Right, take two ?

Typed under the assumption you have a laser level. If you haven't, then buy one lol. Anyhoo...

Id go landscape with that size tile but it's not my ( or your ) bathroom ( it's swmbos ) so see how that works out. ;)

Your bath is the focal point, so you need to get the cuts looking good on that first. Ping a line around the room from the horizontal deck of the bath, and see where the bottom tile will end up at the shower corner, holding a tile on the line and counting down. Your right, you'll need to extend down past the floor / wall junction to reach the lowest point of the wet floor so see how that ends up looking.

Once you have established a happy medium between the bath top edge, and the shower bottom edge you'll have a datum line for your first grout line from the floor. Use a tile to mark each grout line up the wall and then grab the laser and sit it on each line from floor to ceiling. Check the lines for conflicts with things you want to tile to / around, like the pocket shelves and raise lower it according to how much play your first line-out will allow. 

I always set the pocket shelves out, where possible, to be divisible between one or two tile courses, so you have factory edges to set the chrome trim against. See pic. Those trims are against the uncut tile edges and it makes life, and tiling, much easier and neater of you can work this all in together. 

Iirc, you've already made the boxes for the shelf to reside, so all the more important to carry out my first rule, which is to set out and ping lines around to get the best datum / start point, according to which one will NOT give you a tiny rip at the top of the bath or around the pocket shelf.

After that, check the window for cuts and then repeat with the vertical, again checking that you'll not end up with any near misses or small slivers of tile. 

Make any sense? 

Yes sir!  We've got tiling and bath fitting fast approaching so this and the rest of the thread is brilliant resource.  

Just to relieve you of any doubt, I can often lose an entire morning drawing out datums and finding 'faults' with this line-out process. ;). Pays dividends though, as the number of numpties that I've see who just start laying from the flat deck of the bath, because it's easiest to start, and who then end up with terrible rips and slivers everywhere, begs belief. 

8 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

Yes sir!  We've got tiling and bath fitting fast approaching so this and the rest of the thread is brilliant resource.  

No prizes for guessing who'll finish first! 

Actually you'll likely be STARTING first! :)

8 hours ago, Onoff said:

What laser have you got?

The Don....

Bosch 3 X 360 degree bad boy

A good price here but I bought locally so as to have a no quibble return. Bosch give you an excellent warranty for 3 years. My brand new one developed a fault after about 2-3 days of use ( Friday model ) and I had a brand new one with no questions asked less than a week later. My one before that lasted 5/6 years and got kicked and dopped more times than it should. Always completely accurate. 

Great for putting stud walls up :ph34r: 

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The Don....

Bosch 3 X 360 degree bad boy

A good price here but I bought locally so as to have a no quibble return. Bosch give you an excellent warranty for 3 years. My brand new one developed a fault after about 2-3 days of use ( Friday model ) and I had a brand new one with no questions asked less than a week later. My one before that lasted 5/6 years and got kicked and dopped more times than it should. Always completely accurate. 

Great for putting stud walls up :ph34r: 

Very nice but a bit too much for my pocket considering how little I'll use it! I was more considering this:

http://m.clasohlson.com/uk/Bosch-PLL360-Line-Laser/40-7666

If not an eBay no name job!

Bear in mind I'm sitting in the ceramic rather than porcelain seats here!

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Very nice but a bit too much for my pocket considering how little I'll use it! I was more considering this:

http://m.clasohlson.com/uk/Bosch-PLL360-Line-Laser/40-7666

If not an eBay no name job!

Bear in mind I'm sitting in the ceramic rather than porcelain seats here!

I've got that one and it's pretty decent for indoors but useless outdoors unless you use it with a laser target card.