Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

21 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Can't believe there's not a cheaper PU based filler out thre that would do the same job!

Can you use No More Ply adhesive? Think we used that somewhere. I've no idea if it's cheaper though. 

19 minutes ago, newhome said:

Can you use No More Ply adhesive? Think we used that somewhere. I've no idea if it's cheaper though. 

Don't know. Guessing not all PU sealants are made equal!

Until I saw the Knauf stuff in the tube I was just going to use the Mapei tile adhesive I'd bought.

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Don't know. Guessing not all PU sealants are made equal!

Until I saw the Knauf stuff in the tube I was just going to use the Mapei tile adhesive I'd bought.

Yeah well what's an extra tenner in the great scheme of things anyway. Don't forget you need to make it @pocster handstand proof though ;)

The panel around the last pocket and over the mixer was was easier than I thought.

20180610_142831

Bloody difficult to make holes in this Aqua Panel neat as even the sharpest Starrett catches the reinforcing fibres and leave the edges hairy.

20180610_142844

A 17mm box spanner fits these:

20180610_142859

And a 1" socket these. Might be 25mm but I haven't got one!

20180610_142936

33 minutes ago, Onoff said:

The panel around the last pocket and over the mixer was was easier than I thought.

20180610_142831

Bloody difficult to make holes in this Aqua Panel neat as even the sharpest Starrett catches the reinforcing fibres and leave the edges hairy.

20180610_142844

A 17mm box spanner fits these:

20180610_142859

And a 1" socket these. Might be 25mm but I haven't got one!

20180610_142936

Looks good 

But out of interest why not just cut a rectangle for the mixer then fill ? 

43 minutes ago, pocster said:

But out of interest why not just cut a rectangle for the mixer then fill ? 

You know why already surely? Cos it’s an art form for @Onoff  

• Confused 1

It's official I HATE Aqua Panel!

Got to fill all the joints now. A few edges backed by PIR and no timber :ph34r: where I changed my mind and put the boards in horizontal rather than vertical etc. Some gaps too, bigger than the 3-5mm. I've tried to whack some EBT in at least.

20180610_190250

Confession time, spot the cock up?

20180610_190351

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

It's official I HATE Aqua Panel!

Got to fill all the joints now. A few edges backed by PIR and no timber :ph34r: where I changed my mind and put the boards in horizontal rather than vertical etc. Some gaps too, bigger than the 3-5mm. I've tried to whack some EBT in at least.

20180610_190250

Confession time, spot the cock up?

20180610_190351

Thingy won’t fit over thingy - amateurs error ?

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Thingy won’t fit over thingy - amateurs error ?

This Aqua Panel has been the biggest pita for a while. Learning curve too, you can't treat it like pb it's just not as flexible or forgiving.

• Like 1

I have enjoyed avoiding it, and shall continue to do so, by simply slapping on 4 coats of tanking solution over anything that's even near a wet area. 

Your tenacity with following every aspect of this job to the letter can only be admired.  :)

Keep going, there's a danger of tiling this soon. ;) 

I'm going to sacrifice a Starrett arbor and drill out the 1/4" hole up the centre to 9mm,  (maybe 9.5).

I can then slip the pilotless Starrett and arbor over the brass mixer spindles and cut the holes out larger and bang on centre.

19 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I have enjoyed avoiding it, and shall continue to do so, by simply slapping on 4 coats of tanking solution over anything that's even near a wet area. 

Your tenacity with following every aspect of this job to the letter can only be admired.  :)

Keep going, there's a danger of tiling this soon. ;) 

Get ready then for multiple, numpty, tanking and tiling questions! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I'm going to sacrifice a Starrett arbor and drill out the 1/4" hole up the centre to 9mm,  (maybe 9.5).

I can then slip the pilotless Starrett and arbor over the brass mixer spindles and cut the holes out larger and bang on centre.

Just stitch drill around with a 3mm, then 6mm HSS bit, and dremel the bits out. 

On 11/05/2018 at 22:50, Onoff said:

I need to decide where to position these two 165mm dia Bluetooth speakers. Currently thinking either side of the downlights as shown. YES the ceiling joists though parallel to each other and set at 400mm ctrs are set askew to the squared off, studded walls!

spkrz_001

I also need to think about MVHR vents in the ceiling, how big and where, one or two? Originally I was going to fit a wall mounted single room Ventaxia but boy are they ugly. @jackmentioned another brand a short while ago I'm sure, German maybe? It looked neat and was wall mounted. If I fit in the ceiling then single room for now but expandable later is what I'm thinking ref the MVHR.

Just bumping this. I need to get a hole(s) drilled in the ceiling to fit an MVHR vent pre plastering ideally. Thinking something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Recovery-Unit-Grille-MVHR-Ventilation-Duct-Ceiling-Loft-Void-Air-Valve-4-5-/142386955614?

1) Do I need one or two vents per room as in an in & an out?

2) If two then is it two in the same room or the extract here and the intake in another room?

3) Knowing one or two then what dictates the size I need? Rom volume, use, lpm from Part F?

4) For now I might run it to just a simple ducted extractor in the loft and out the soffit with a view to expanding to MVHR later. ( @PeterW pointed me to a cheap unit a while back) I presume the duct sizes are compatible or that there are adapters?

5) On the sketch above I've not shown the body dryer that sits between the rainfall head (top left) and the downlight to the right. Is there a "good" position to aim for for the MVHR vent?

Some general MVHR pointers would be appreciated!

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Shouldn’t the speakers be on hydraulic arms also ? . So they can be lowered and cleaned like the shower head ...

I like my music with such bass that the dust can't stick! :)

• Like 1

Right or wrong, gaps filled with tile adhesive.

20180611_192809

20180611_192838

First time I've ever used the powdered stuff. Too much water on the first mix so binned that. A bit left over when I got it right. Cement like and sticky at the same time! I let it go off and rubbed it with a block of wood.

Turning my attention to the other walls and ceiling now. Off to find the joint scrim tape for the pb! ;)

• Like 1

Let it go off 24 hrs and it will be like rock... next time, a 2 litre milk container is ideal for measuring the liquid as it will be about right for mixing enough for you to lay tiles before it starts to go off. 1 litre isn’t enough for using a whisk on the mixer. 

Also have a look in Asda as they have 10 litre flexi tubs for £1 - ideal for mixing adhesive and have 2 or three on the go on in various states of dry/set/clean... 

• Like 1