Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

Ye Gods......................

I bench tested it at work mainly because of the readily available supply in the workshop.  (I don't even have a 40A breaker in my current cu). We had it pointing upward and it blew all the dust and debris off of the top of the trunking and ducts! :)

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'm hoping the girl in video 2 steps under it and at the touch of a button the one in video 1 steps out! :)

Ah, now I understand the 9kw. It’s to power the teleportation device :D 

Now if 7of9 was to appear then WHERE CAN I BUY ONE ??!!

46 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Ah, now I understand the 9kw. It’s to power the teleportation device :D 

Now if 7of9 was to appear then WHERE CAN I BUY ONE ??!!

Has @MrsBarney12 got a birthday coming up? 

s-l400.jpg.a5958c79db412e807f2d3a7007c118a3.jpg

;)

8 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ahhh, the old outfit in an aerosol can. "Make it so, number 2" :)

Tres bien. 

T'Pol from Enterprise does it for me. Just got to pluck up the courage to ask SWMBO to wear those pointy ears I got her....

:ph34r:

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

Christ, 9kW, that would have the floor tiles curling up at the edges in my house.

It's got a 10 minute preset cut off timer in it. Quite clever in its own way but how practical the whole thing is I'll find out!

It can be wired so that the same cable can feed a shower but only one device will run at any time.

20180218_120756

20180218_120819

20180218_120725

The remote looks bloody expensive if it fails! :(

38 minutes ago, Onoff said:

The remote looks bloody expensive if it fails

Ah maybe worth before the warrenty runs out to contact them querying a replacement.

I just had my Cambridge Blu Ray player remote fail after 8 years, Icontacted Cambridge asking to purchase a new one if poss. and thay sent me one FOC, lucky boy or what.

35 minutes ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

Ah maybe worth before the warrenty runs out to contact them querying a replacement.

I just had my Cambridge Blu Ray player remote fail after 8 years, Icontacted Cambridge asking to purchase a new one if poss. and thay sent me one FOC, lucky boy or what.

Zero chance. Long discontinued thing this Triton kit.  

So back to the vcl...

I've punctured it severely so, with the body dryer ducts. The draught from the loft into the bathroom is unreal:

2018-02-19 18.12.11

So I've split it down the middle and brought up what's left, up and over the tops of the joists:

20180219_175925

The plan is to first, stick a strip of vcl (probably blue dpm), around the inside of the "box" and have this say 2" above so it can fold over the top.

Then, I'll put a good bead of intumescent along the long edges and up the internal corners:

20180219_175949

20180219_180001

Then I'll line the 4 inside faces with 6mm cloaking / Asbestolux to fireproof the box a bit.

The body dryer will go back in. Then a sheet of pink plasterboard will be screwed down probably on a self adhesive, intumescent seal atop the joists.

20180219_180118

I can't see I'll need the kindly offered airtight tape?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a half hearted crack at reinstating the vcl. First some spray glue:

20180303_132409

Then a bit of scrap dpm:

20180303_132449

That was a pig:

20180303_133753

Got to line with the cloaking boards next. Boards are 150mm and the joists 145mm though. :( Don't know whether to cut the cloaking boards down to 145mm or add 5mm packing strips atop ALL the joists?

At the mo I've only got 100mm PIR between joists. Aiming later to add another 50mm. That would put the top of the PIR 5mm above the top of joists. Adding 5mm timber packs would make everything level.

2018-03-03_07-53-00

Edited by Onoff

Bugger! Didn't see this coming! :(

Where I've taken a while getting the wet room corner done :ph34r: I've been walking on it. Looks like I've started to abrade the Pex-Al-Pex a bit! I never cable tied it to the mesh either...

I know this stuff takes some abuse but I'm worried again. It is NOT coming up so all I can do is pressure test again and hope. If it leaks then we won't be having UFH!

20180307_174129

20180307_174207

20180307_174219

20180307_174246

unless you can see anything shiny you havent gone through the outer plastic layer yet so hopefully you should be fine, but you should be careful when walking about on it, id be more worried about the mesh denting the pipe, cable ties are cheap though, how are you planning to keep them all in place without them?

Community hugs & support! :) Feeling better now, thanks lads!

Struggling getting this bit of DPM in place. Had to roll it as tight as then sort of unroll bit by bit, pull a bit, repeat. Just getting the first bit under knackered me and I'm having to recover with a Doom Bar! It's like playing Twister as I can't lean on the mesh. I suppose I could ask SWMBO for help but we'd likely fight to the death! :)

2018-03-07_06-32-46

EDIT: By the power of Doom Bar 

2018-03-07_07-06-38

Needs some trimming to fit round the rough edges but happy with that. BEER makes everything better! Debating the London Pride now...

NEW cunning plan to put temporary screeding rails in to get the wall drain falls exactly as per the CAD. It's a winner! ;)

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

If I concrete this in one hit should I still look to add fibres and some stainless steel chicken mesh?

(Might have to be galvanised mesh).

What size mesh, 1"x1", 2"x2"?

Cheers

34 minutes ago, Onoff said:

If I concrete this in one hit should I still look to add fibres and some stainless steel chicken mesh?

(Might have to be galvanised mesh).

What size mesh, 1"x1", 2"x2"?

Cheers

Why would you want mesh over the mesh?

5 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Why would you want mesh over the mesh?

Page 39 of this thread it, in the form of "chicken wire", was discussed. Thinking though it may have been because I was planning on casting the wet room corner in 3 sections...or maybe because I was concerned the edge of the finished area might be a bit thin (70mm) where it falls to the wall drain.

Edited by Onoff