Zoot wood balcony job.

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

@Onoff Your thoughts always welcome: following joe90's lag board/ start tips, I wonder if this design is a good'un to use/ follow. Seems likely the most cost effective approach.

And some bits like the notched pillars, I did on the cabin base. Plus only 2 pillars needed maybe.

Finished "deck" @ 18 secs. Briefly/ best to pause @ 0.18

Zh

You won't go far wrong with that.  A few changes, we like to nail our joist hangers with twist nails in this country and I would use the taller joist hangers that wrap over the top of the joist you are hanging from.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

You won't go far wrong with that.  A few changes, we like to nail our joist hangers with twist nails in this country and I would use the taller joist hangers that wrap over the top of the joist you are hanging from.

Hi ProDave. Totally on board with those two changes. 

Good, glad that idea ( youtube) approved.. spent all afternoon on it taking notes & working out xyz/ how & why things done. 

What about their pillar fixing idea? IE pillars on 8x8" round pad set into ground.. with a rebar sticking up to 'fix' ? Simpler surely than hefty 150x150 galv shoes, type I used onto my huge concrete cabin pads. These would need like a 12" min round concrete something for their 2" flange with 4 fixing holes. Surely overkill.. & would look nastier too.

Thanks, zh

Easy way on this is using scaffold poles (assuming you have access to some nice big Forstner bits..??)

Shape bottom of the 150/150 post and drill out 100mm with the forstner to the size of a scaffold pole. Knock a 450mm length into the bottom of the socket so it’s tight. 

Connect your legs to a 150/50 with 2.No. Coach bolts in the face of the posts and also add a temporary brace about 600mm from ground level. Now lay it out in front of the house so the scaffold pins are toward the holes / house. You can now raise the lot into the upright position, brace against the wall and it will all work fine. Just level the top rail, plumb the uprights and concrete the lot in - you could even use 2 or 3 bags of postcrete to make the job quicker. 

• Like 1

@PeterW Hi Peter. Thanks for this.

I'm partially on board with the idea. I've googled forstner bits, & can get a 100mm £16. Are these ok, & useable ( without jumping/ juddering) with an electric hand drill?

I get the idea of making the hole in the post base, but not as deep as 450mm (I'm not quite sure how, with drill & a bit). I get the idea of inserting a bit of scaffold post into hole.

From there on.. I'm completely lost, sorry!

Zoot.

Edited by zoothorn

32 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I'm partially on board with the idea. I've googled forstner bits, & can get a 100mm £16

Chexk you are not buying one 100mm diameter.  You want the diameter to match the scaffold pole and 100mm is the depth you want to drill it.

Scaffold poles are 48.3mm diameter. Buy a 50mm dia wood bit and drill up the middle of the 150x150 leg. Drill 100mm deep. Slip the 450mm length of scaffold up in the hole, you'll then have 350mm of pole sticking out from the bottom of the post.

Forster bits are nice tools. You might be able to get a cheap, 50mm, flat wood bit instead.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/6-50Mm-High-Carbon-Woodworking-Durable-Sets-45Mm/dp/B0849Y1Q83/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Chexk you are not buying one 100mm diameter.  You want the diameter to match the scaffold pole and 100mm is the depth you want to drill it.

Hi ProDave,

tbh I'm now not understanding the idea at all then. All I thought/ the only part I could gather, is the use of a section of scaffold pole, inserted into the base of the pillar. I might assume the pole diameter being 100mm. Therefore I would need a bit diameter, of 100mm. But you say here not.

I am as usual, completely lost. Apologies.

Zoot.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Scaffold poles are 48.3mm diameter. Buy a 50mm dia wood bit and drill up the middle of the 150x150 leg. Drill 100mm deep. Slip the 450mm length of scaffold up in the hole, you'll then have 350mm of pole sticking out from the bottom of the post.

Forster bits are nice tools. You might be able to get a cheap, 50mm, flat wood bit instead.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/6-50Mm-High-Carbon-Woodworking-Durable-Sets-45Mm/dp/B0849Y1Q83/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?

Aha ok. I was sort of on board with this part then. Apart from my daft notion the pole width would be the 100mm figure.

Ok, got it: so 350mm sticks out. But from here on I'm not understanding. For eg, I don't know what a " 150/50 " is Peter refers to you see ( a bit of timber? 6x2"?) so I'm unable to comprehend anything onward/ the paragraph.

Thanks, Zoot

Typical eg of how someone who works in inches, cannot use mm's figures to picture anything, because, of the huge numbers involved. Eg:

7 ft is immediately imagined.
2130mm is impossible to imagine.

Zh

Just to say I am doing as much as I can in prep (pic below).

The ledger board being fundamental it seems, due to my wibbly wall is proving a tricky prospect/ 1st hurdle.

I just don't know how to tackle attatching it really fully securely.

Ideally obviously, this (6x2") x 3300mm section of wall should really be flat first. How to flatten it then. Either I removed the 'hills' somehow ( seems a b'stard of an idea), or I raise the dips & add render or whatever, to form a flat long rectangle ?

Is this adding idea feasable?

Thanks, Zoot.

EA89A939-10AB-4747-905F-1D25D1CDB947.jpeg

40 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@PeterW Im not quite understanding "Connect your legs to a 150/50"

What this 150/50 is-?

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

Aha ok. I was sort of on board with this part then. Apart from my daft notion the pole width would be the 100mm figure.

Ok, got it: so 350mm sticks out. But from here on I'm not understanding. For eg, I don't know what a " 150/50 " is Peter refers to you see ( a bit of timber? 6x2"?) so I'm unable to comprehend anything onward/ the paragraph.

Thanks, Zoot

Yes, 150x50 is a bit of 6"x2" timber

• Like 1

Sorry !! Got told off for using 6x2 and 4x4 etc and now drop to metric ..!! @Onoff is correct in what he’s said..!

@zoothorn 50mm forstner or flat bit will be fine in an electric drill - just keep it square to the leg..!

for your lumpy wall, you need some short lengths( no more than 40mm)

of 25mm steel conduit and a couple of cheap disposable  25mm flat bits. Mark the wall, drill through the render in 5 equal spots until you hit the blocks. At this point you can drill 80mm into the block (mark the drill bit ..!!!!) and use a resin stud and insert a 200mm stud. Slide the conduit over (paint it beforehand inside and out…! ) and then you have 5 nice studs to anchor your wall plate on to that are just proud of the render… drill the wall plate to match, studs through with washer and nut and all done. 

simples … 

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

for your lumpy wall, you need some short lengths( no more than 40mm)

of 25mm steel conduit and a couple of cheap disposable  25mm flat bits.

What size studs? I've some 3/4" nom bore, heavy wall, stainless tube here I think. Would save painting, wouldn't rust etc.

42 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What size studs? I've some 3/4" nom bore, heavy wall, stainless tube here I think. Would save painting, wouldn't rust etc.

M12 tops - don’t need anything else tbh as at 600 centres he’s got no issues. 3/4 would work fine for that I would think. 

Just now, PeterW said:

M12 tops - don’t need anything else tbh as at 600 centres he’s got no issues. 3/4 would work fine for that I would think. 

I'll go have a look either now or in the morning. I could easily post him some pre-cut

Right, tube wise I have 19mm OD / 15mm ID. Then 1" OD / 7/8" ID. Both stainless:

IMG_20220611_213159691.thumb.jpg.b9cae87ded2c06d83da219ce73566752.jpg

Tbh the smaller one might actually be Imperial too... 😂

On the washer front, all I have in a big dia is bright zinc plated on the right. On the left is a thick form, 2.5mm thick, M12 stainless washer but standard diameter. In the middle, an M12 thick form, stainless spring washer.

IMG_20220611_215323774.thumb.jpg.b47afffab6f024903633d2739692d340.jpg

I'll look again tomorrow.

Morning chaps, sorry for delay, elderly folks = priority.

Ok thanks I understand a wee bit more. But Im still a heap behind. Even assuming (as I might have, as I did) Peter meant 6x2.. I still cannot understand it. Thing is, Im still not a builder, even though I've now built things. So I can't comprehend  many a conversion in "Builder"!

I did use the figures of 6x2 (assuming 150/50 were dims I could only think corresponded to 6x2 & this therefore was -probably- reference to timber). But even still "put it on a 6x2" is meaningless. So I'm only 3 numbers further on in understanding.( Is this a beam? Is it an offcut to rest the pillar on? something else?) So, at the first juncture of Peter's paragraph, Im stuck & cannot understand a word of it past 150/50 on line one.

Yes I understand the drilling of 50mm. I get the insertion of a scaffold section. But anything onward... I'm looking at a blank sheet of paper. I have tried hard spent 20 to 30 minutes trying to deciphr this paragrah to no avail.

You can see maybe how far behind I am? I'm back a mile going " HEY... WAIT! I'm stuck here!" with everyone else (with great intent) running on ahead.

I'm still an idiot, is best way to consider me, if you will.

Thanks so much, Zoot.

I see joist hangers have been advocated. Quick and easy.

Me being me.....I'd probably get the router out do through housings and glue and screw, literally make a ladder beam. Might even do stop housings and have the wall plate and front one a bit deeper...

IMG_20220612_111218883.thumb.jpg.d9f20b654cec3cca323d83e7ab04b36c.jpg