Zoot wood balcony job.

47 minutes ago, Modernista said:

I'm sure you've thought of it but won't it affect the view when you are sitting or in bed in that upstairs room? Especially if you have vertical balusters like that? the balustrade height in the drawing you posted just now looks low in proportion to the doors (and compared to the one you have been eyeing up).

Go glass?

58 minutes ago, Modernista said:

I'm sure you've thought of it but won't it affect the view when you are sitting or in bed in that upstairs room? Especially if you have vertical balusters like that? the balustrade height in the drawing you posted just now looks low in proportion to the doors (and compared to the one you have been eyeing up).

Hi Modernista, good point. But A) I have no choice as doors open outwards (in retrospect daft, as walls fairly thick thesedays.. purely a novices decision ). And B) like so is on the plans submitted & agreed to.

It will partially affect the view only, above handrail is the main view across valley 2m, & big sky, below isn't too much to squander: a road, sheepfield, trees. Glass... far too costly & not cottagey enough. But a keen point.

Thanks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, joe90 said:

For exterior balconies, roofs or terraced areas the required height is 1.1 meters (1100mm)from where you can stand on to the top of the handrail.”

Goddam regs. Im only head high with the balcony deck due to builders 1 ft too low infuriation. Now this will affect my view a wee bit more than I thought. But basically up to handles' height. Sitting out on it will be affected by this excessive height though. Argh.

Maybe I could do X shaped ballustrades, to open up the view a tad more.

Thanks J.

44 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Glass is the answer, that is what we are planning.

I use thIs guy now for all my glass - he’s only on Facebook but they have 2 or 3 units crammed with glass that is either taken from offices or has been cut / sent wrong to jobs and they buy it for peanuts. I got 2 900x700 10mm toughened panels for £35 each …

He’s even got some 21mm triple laminated walk on glazing .. 

• Like 1

You could consider a (within regs) step down from the house to the balcony level so that the level that the 1100mm was measured from was at least a bit lower than the internal FFL. I've been looking at tensioned steel wire solutions where I have a similar situation as I think it will be less obtrusive than a forest of balustrades and not need constant cleaning like glass.

11 hours ago, joe90 said:

, and the bars must be 99mm apart.    Sorry mate I didn’t write the regs 😇

11 hours ago, Onoff said:

Beam A, the one to the house...

7B020540-A4FF-4236-9A26-1F2BF003A21A.thumb.jpeg.ec3a043eaa64c77ef2679a76c7eb9eb7.jpeg.5ac2a17ffadbb77e0ff459f185ccb3e6.jpeg

Your extension construction is timber frame isn't it? As in timber stud uprights and "hollows". You can't resin fix to that.

It is but frame is the inner wall though. I have a block outer wall.

zh

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PeterW said:

Ballustrade must not let a 96mm ball through the gaps .. 

Hi Peter. Ok thanks I'll note this. 96mm balls.. maybe a bull will be sitting out on my balcony then.

One thing I was going to ask you:

If you can see Im leaving off the steps (my computer plans show above): do I need to get 'permission' to effectively do 'less' or as it's just leaving a chunk off, just assume fine & crack on? 

Thanks, Zoot 

1 hour ago, Modernista said:

You could consider a (within regs) step down from the house to the balcony level so that the level that the 1100mm was measured from was at least a bit lower than the internal FFL. I've been looking at tensioned steel wire solutions where I have a similar situation as I think it will be less obtrusive than a forest of balustrades and not need constant cleaning like glass.

Hi Modster, I would have done just this.. but extention is a foot lower than should be ( dont ask) so this room's balcony, already low due to the ceiling of workshop below (1850mm), is a full foot lower still.

Meaning a rather odd very low balcony to make, but any lower... would be getting super-silly.

Thanks, Zoot.

15 hours ago, joe90 said:

I would do it this way, 6 x 2 around the edges but the short ones could be 4 x 2 on joist hangers @ 600 mm max

image.jpg

Hi Joe90. Thanks for this.

So step 1 is back beam fix to wall with rod & epoxy.. then how would you attatch the other 3 timbers (assuming these would be step 2) if they're unsupported? A naiive question most probably.

Zh

@Onoff Your thoughts always welcome: following joe90's lag board/ start tips, I wonder if this design is a good'un to use/ follow. Seems likely the most cost effective approach.

And some bits like the notched pillars, I did on the cabin base. Plus only 2 pillars needed maybe.

Finished "deck" @ 18 secs. Briefly/ best to pause @ 0.18

Zh

5 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Hi Peter. Ok thanks I'll note this. 96mm balls.. maybe a bull will be sitting out on my balcony then.

We are allowed a 100mm ball in Scotland.  the wording is "A 100mm sphere will not pass through"  It's so a babies head cannot get stuck through any gap apparently.