Zoot wood balcony job.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Let's hope your first resin anchor doesn't clash! 😂

No shouldn't do.

That's a good idea.. understood. The surity of the doubling of boards on the sides though.. might be a bit compromised? Id prefer them as my yellow drawing, if there's a way.

Could I bend the LH hanger wing back.. & fix to side of ledger?

----

Got my two 6x6 posts, hangers & twisty nails. And the front 6x2. So I aim to get the outer 4 sided frame up today & tmrw.

But I need to go over what the posts are anchored to 1st. A few ideas before. One thing to bear in mind, my posts are just shy of 7ft.. & to the top of my ledger.. is 7ft.

No other 6x6 posts in town you see. So I have to probably sit them up 2" on a pad of somesort.

@zoothorn I’m lost here … you’re building a balcony not a bridge !! It doesn’t need 6x4 on each side ..!! 

If you have bought 6x6 posts, measure them and inset the first joist by the same amount. Then “sandwich” the post between this one and the new outer 6x2. Will be very strong as the post will be supported 3 sides. 

• Haha 1

Just now, PeterW said:

@zoothorn I’m lost here … you’re building a balcony not a bridge !! It doesn’t need 6x4 on each side ..!! 

If you have bought 6x6 posts, measure them and inset the first joist by the same amount. Then “sandwich” the post between this one and the new outer 6x2. Will be very strong as the post will be supported 3 sides. 

You'd best do a drawing! 😂

14 minutes ago, PeterW said:

But you must take into account future expansion. A bridge , a swimming pool , helicopter landing pad . 😁

Offered up ledger to see what's what, tapped it once & stuck.. so had to continue. Alot of sledging to get on.

So good results, firm as hell. Level. RHS plumb, LHS slightly off. So I'll have to get joist hangers on like so.

Middle 3 joist hangers can't even fix to the ledger top tho.. cill in the way.

Zh

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

No one “ lives “ in Wales - bodies just exist there 

I beg to differ, some top totty in the Utah Saints Something Good video..

.very much alive. I've always had a thing for the young Ruth Maddox too...

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Loving y Ddraig Goch facing your direction. Are your neighbours trying to tell you something? 😂

New n'bors, young farmer couple, nice to me actually. So far.

No. The flags ( this one I deliberately included in the photo) are to do with Eisteddfod 2022, very locally to us this year. The assumption was... they were doing it at me?

After my serious trials for 5-1/2 years here Onoff, I'll let that insinuation slide.

Any thoughts on my work today? Hard graft that with sun beating on my neck. I hope I made a good start.

Really grateful for the metal bits Onoff. Zh

Edited by zoothorn

Yes @zoothorn, good progress, slow but steady 👍. I do think @Onoffsuggestion above about the end hangers being inboard and extra board on spacers is the best and neatest suggestion. Question….are you using decking boards fir the “floor”?, if so the extra board suggested could be wider and cover the end Grain of the decking boards 🤷‍♂️

Edited by joe90

I'd still be worried about the 3 hangers under the cill not hooking over the top of the ledger. You might be able to skew a screw up from the bottom at 45deg or screw some neat plates up from underneath...

What way are your decking boards running?