Zoot wood balcony job.

@Onoffย one thing I forgot to ask about: the tubes in the walls, have 10mm around them so rain can get in, in theory.

ย 

Before I put joists in, I can just get access to them. Is there something best forced into these gaps? Obviously I cant ever get access to them once joists put in.

ย 

Thanks, zoot

On 05/07/2022 at 17:12, Onoff said:

If you are worried you could buy, quite cheaply, half a dozen large dia stainless washers. You will of course need a correspondingly larger hole. This could be made with a sacrificial flat wood bit. There would then be a gap around the spacer you would need to fill of course. Something like Sika EBT I would for piece of mind.ย 

ย 

Also see comments made on 12th & 15th June ref "siliconing" around the spacer. This was before you'd gone I think with recessing the spacer into the render.ย 

ย 

Assumed you'd done this already. Will you be able to get in there to do it with the ledger board in the way?

29 minutes ago, Onoff said:

ย 

Also see comments made on 12th & 15th June ref "siliconing" around the spacer. This was before you'd gone I think with recessing the spacer into the render.ย 

ย 

Assumed you'd done this already. Will you be able to get in there to do it with the ledger board in the way?

Sorry I glossed over this/ didn't click at the time.

ย 

I can only get a gun tube nozzle into the topside of the upper ones, & underneath for the green lower ones.

ย 

I need to get a finger or a very thin trowel in the tricky sides.

ย 

Zh

13 minutes ago, markc said:

Big bead of sealer across the top and down the ledger ends, donโ€™t seal the bottom.

ย 

Likely have to be a bloody big nozzle, it's spaced up to 50mm off the wall! The whole idea was to promote air flow around the back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

Sorry I glossed over this/ didn't click at the time.

ย 

I can only get a gun tube nozzle into the topside of the upper ones, & underneath for the green lower ones.

ย 

I need to get a finger or a very thin trowel in the tricky sides.

ย 

Zh

ย 

Exactly how much space is there between the back of the ledger and the wall?ย 

ย 

A picture says a thousand words, even better hold a tape measure up as you take the picture.ย 

Just now, Onoff said:

ย 

Exactly how much space is there between the back of the ledger and the wall?ย 

ย 

A picture says a thousand words, even better hold a tape measure up as you take the picture.ย 

Doing that right now.

ย 

I hope to dive into town, try ( longshot) get 2 galv bracket things.. some form of concrete.. & this stuff for the wall spacer gaps. Before 12 am!

ย 

thx zh

I cant get to the centre top one, at all. But if I silicone my 5mm gap between cill & ledger, before the deck boards go on.. I should be ok just.

ย 

The rest half I can only get a finger to, on the tricky side as it were. 1 inch mask tale for reference.

ย 

128430FA-C1FB-4DCC-960B-4ABF474D63F2.jpeg

• Like 1

You see I can get nozzle under here.. but accessing from above is n/a.

ย 

I'll buy the sika anyway, use a wet finger or summink.

ย 

@Onoffย could you tell me if postcrete is ok for my bucket-filled concrete pads idea?
ย 

Thanks, zoot

ย 

ย 

25 minutes ago, Onoff said:

ย 

Likely have to be a bloody big nozzle, it's spaced up to 50mm off the wall! The whole idea was to promote air flow around the back.

Didnโ€™t realise, when I read the bit about sealing I thought It would be better spaced off

47 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

You see I can get nozzle under here.. but accessing from above is n/a.

ย 

I'll buy the sika anyway, use a wet finger or summink.

ย 

@Onoffย could you tell me if postcrete is ok for my bucket-filled concrete pads idea?
ย 

Thanks, zoot

ย 

ย 

ย 

Should have "siliconed" it before the ledger went on. Oh well!ย 

ย 

ย 

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

ย 

Should have "siliconed" it before the ledger went on. Oh well!ย 

ย 

ย 

Got a bit excited. The weird nozzles a leftfield idea!

ย 

I need to do today tho, before weather breaks. So got some Sika sbt+ & will have to wangle it in somehow.

ย 

Got a postcrete bag, & cheapo buckets. But no galv brackets in town. So.. will have to wait for amazon ones, i 'll buy today.

ย 

Damn useful link that one Onoff, your help invaluable of course.ย 
ย 

I can crack on with side outer 6x 2's, the sika job, ย get the joists in maybe too.. if you think ok to? Or maybe leave this added weight until pillars done .

ย 

Thanks, Zoot

Buckets.. if Im going for the U bracket with spike, can I use a smaller bucket? A std sized one ( bought 2 but can return).. a bit overkill maybe?

ย 

There seem to be ย smaller 10" wide buckets. Better maybe?

ย 

Less f'ugly. But sufficient support-?

ย 

Thanks, Zoothornย 

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

How are you going to join pillars to 6x2,s? I would do thisโ€ฆ.

image.jpg

Hi J, yes exactly what I had in mind. On the LHS here, a bit of 8x2 goes as cladding.. just along the front.
ย 

Video simply has the chap fire thru 2 long torque screws thru both 2" D timbers, & onward into the pillar. Maybe some of my bigass turbo screws. Or your coach bolts idea here is possibly ย best.

ย 

A wait on the galv shoe brackets tho. Thx zoot

7 minutes ago, joe90 said:

You need to know this so you can place your support thingys in the ground accurately.

Yup good reminder thanks J. It'll have to be a weight on a string for my plumbline. Need some luck too.ย 
ย 

I have good firm clay soil here so I think a smaller bucket will do, as my video chap's size ones too.. except his posts sit fully on the pad, a spike set up to aid the post not slipping off.

ย 

Thanks, zh