Ban on New Residential Development Across 74 UK local planning authorities

bob the builder 2

1 hour ago, Mulberry View said:

Well, Liz truss apparently said before she was elected that if she was successful, she would quash it.

https://www.housingtoday.co.uk/news/truss-vows-to-ditch-nutrient-neutrality-rules/5118915.article

Quashing it is not enough.

Truss needs to deliver a rational analysis, and a rational, reasonable solution.

If that is not her habit her party will be wiped off the map at the next election.

We are beyond slopey-shoulders stage. She, and Krazy Kwarteng in particular, do not have that luxury.

(Writing as somewhere between a conservatiev Lib Dem - Orange Booker, and a liberal Conservative.)

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Quashing it is not enough.

Truss needs to deliver a rational analysis, and a rational, reasonable solution.

If that is not her habit her party will be wiped off the map at the next election.

We are beyond slopey-shoulders stage. She, and Krazy Kwarteng in particular, do not have that luxury.

(Writing as somewhere between a conservatiev Lib Dem - Orange Booker, and a liberal Conservative.)

Trouble is, I'm pretty cynical. I have this view that we're coming out of a pretty weird 3-year period. All I see is problems that were created to distract from other problems and now they're gradually being undone. It feels like a way to get us to accept the newly elected cabinet. Create the problem, then create the solution. This is what has happened with energy prices, Liz Truss' cabinet flew in to 'save us' from the ridiculous £7200 price cap we'd been conditioned to expect, but I haven't seen any justification for the extent of the price rises we are still facing, even after the 'rescue'. It's a convenient way to get everyone to quietly accept what amounts to a tax heist, probably to pay for the huge COVID overspend/debt.

Nutrient Neutrality was an ideal way to get ecology in the news and bring the housing/construction industry to its knees. It's just one disaster after another, keeping us all living in difficulty and fear.

5 hours ago, ErgoFergo said:

Amazing! So no mitigation? Congratulations!

No, but keep in mind it was just a surface water condition that was holding us up, we are harvesting the majority of our rainwater so we couldn't have done much more. I expect that a drainage plan might not have the same outcome.

My guess is that they're clearing some of the easy ones, thank god. We're so pleased to be able to make some progress and just hope they're able to bring relief to some of you that are in the same situation.

• Like 1

On 30/07/2022 at 19:55, twice round the block said:

Natural England are writing to this group to inform you of emerging evidence which identifies significant recreational pressure on Chilterns Beechwoods Special Area of Conservation (SAC), more specifically Ashridge Commons and Woods Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) component. This advice applies to all Local Planning Authorities (LPAs) which were identified as partly or wholly with the 12.6km Zone of Influence (ZOI) and contribute to more than 2% of visits to the SAC. This relates to the piece of evidence instructed by Dacorum Borough Council and completed by Footprint Ecology, due to be released on 14th March 20221

I've been caught up with this one on a site where i had an application in for a new dwelling with in the 12.6km zone

This is all because masses of general public had descended on Ashridge during the last two years of the covid period for their exercise as there was a fantastic cafe there.

"The coffee cup walkers" white trainers, designer handbags, smart phone in one hand and coffee cup in the other, that soon got discarded into the nearest undergrowth when empty. Plus the people supposedly working from home used have meetings there along with lovely lunches in the alfresco dinning area. Thanks to them the cafe that employed loads of local staff got closed down and taken back under the management of The National Trust, and now serves the normal dried scone and a tea or coffee

That killed all the visitor numbers overnight, which is great but too late not to stop the planning restrictions now in place. 

Just another delay and on going battle to fight.

joy of joys

are you building on virgin land, or knocking and building. I was knocking and building, so argued with Dacorum. Got my knock and build passed dispite Ashridge, and the water dischanging lark.

On 28/09/2022 at 21:44, Big Jimbo said:

are you building on virgin land, or knocking and building. I was knocking and building, so argued with Dacorum. Got my knock and build passed dispite Ashridge, and the water dischanging lark.

Mine is with Chiltern. Large house for renovation, but with ample land for a new build garden plot.

They can't argue about demolition and rebuild. Design dependant.

All small developers are sitting tight on the plots as the restriction will get lifted, its just a case of when.

• 3 months later...
On 31/12/2022 at 09:31, Chanmenie said:

Mine has been approved but like @Mulberry View it was just for surface water drainage not sure about new applications.

As a further update, our mains drainage application has now been approved also. We're SO pleased. No special requirements (well other than a condition relating to protection of the trees on the route of the drainage, but it's academic because I laid the pipe over a year ago!!).

Nutrient Neutrality, or anything pertaining to it, was never mentioned.

Good luck everyone else.

• 4 weeks later...

My planning application to demolish a redundant industrial workshop in the greenbelt & replace with a new carbon negative house is "stuck" with Chiltern Planning Department because the various Councils impacted by the Chilterns Beechwoods Special Area of Conservation (SAC) haven't agreed how to manage & fund the mitigation measures. No new housing planning applications are being approved and there is no date given for when the issue will be resolved -we might be in limbo for months or even years before we get planning!! Does anyone have any idea how long the embargo on planning will go on for? I'm surprised that no national newspaper has picked-up on this issue, since it's going to have a major impact on the UK's ability to meet the new housebuilding targets!

12 minutes ago, DTGS said:

My planning application to demolish a redundant industrial workshop in the greenbelt & replace with a new carbon negative house is "stuck" with Chiltern Planning Department because the various Councils impacted by the Chilterns Beechwoods Special Area of Conservation (SAC) haven't agreed how to manage & fund the mitigation measures. No new housing planning applications are being approved and there is no date given for when the issue will be resolved -we might be in limbo for months or even years before we get planning!! Does anyone have any idea how long the embargo on planning will go on for? I'm surprised that no national newspaper has picked-up on this issue, since it's going to have a major impact on the UK's ability to meet the new housebuilding targets!

Sorry to hear you're caught up in this. As you'll see from earlier posts in this thread, Norfolk and Suffolk was affected by this. In fact, when it was current, it was covered in the local news when there was anything to report. We faced the same threat of not knowing how long it might last, we realised that it could be years. In fact it all blew over in a few months.

To me it just seems like another of many moves to bring chaos to the country with no tangible reason.

• 4 months later...

As part of the Nutrient Neutrality Assessment and Mitigation Strategy (NNAMS) report, how do you go about ensuring that there is no significant in combination effect? Is there a map source which can be checked to confirm that the discharge to ground will be at least 200m from any other discharge to ground?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ProDave said:

which in their words would unlock 100K houses stuck in planning at the moment.

Over the rest of this decade.

So 15k a year.

That will sort out the housing crisis.

Gove was on PM claiming that if all the measures proposed are enacted, then the rivers will have less nutrients in them.

Also blamed the EU legacy legislation for the mess.

But it is OK, we are delaying food tariffs from the EU, while our exports get charged it.

I am so grateful that others voted for me to have my sovereignty back. Even if the sovereign has changed, which I did not vote for either.

What a (expletive deleted) up of a government.

Edited by SteamyTea

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile, the latest figures from the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities show 14.8 sq metres of forest, open land and water in Bassetlaw has been converted into developed use from 2019-20 to 2021-22. It accounted for 4.6 per cent of the total land use change completed in Bassetlaw in the three years to March 2022.

In total, 170.1 sq metres of non-developed land, which includes but is not limited to forest, open land, water, agricultural land, vacant sites and residential gardens, were developed upon in the three years to March 2022.

So they are reporting that less than one house plot worth of land has been converted into development land when it should not have been?

Talk about storm in a tea cup.

Or has someone got their units wrong?

P.S a lot easier to view with adblock, you just get big empty spaces where the adverts should be.

9 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

It's also almost impossible to read because of the number of adverts and other distractions deliberately placed in the way of the text.

Yes, seems that the same 12 year old web designer does all the Reach stuff these days.