ASHP " buffer "?

zoothorn

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

But it is not similar, a completely different animal.

Well its replacing a dog, with wolf afaict. A wolf is 85% dog. ( And there.. is my 85%.)

You are suggesting my dog changes into a giraffe. 0r summink.

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

That can  be set to midday, so far far away from sleepy time ;) 

So at 28p/kWh, rather than the cheap, low carbon, night rate.

As much as I like HPs, the price advantage has totally gone at the moment, so they really need to be run at night to claw back some the the price difference.

Zoot's system is going to be expensive to run.

Just now, SteamyTea said:

As much as I like HPs, the price advantage has totally gone at the moment, so they really need to be run at night to claw back some the the price difference.

Cheaper than oil or LPG, negative Nelly. Servicing etc far less complex / costly with a HP.

6 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

But as we all keep saying a “normal “ monoblock heat pump is not that noisy. I run mine during the day whenever it’s required but put a timer to avoid a possible frost pocket late night/early morning. As you know Steamy I discussed E7 / E10 with you long ago and the conclusion then was probably not worth it for me (might change with prices due to rise), then again I might follow @ProDave and DIY install PV in the near future.

8 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I would suggest this is because he has very low levels of insulation so any  heating system is going to run a long time.

11 minutes ago, joe90 said:

As you know Steamy I discussed E7 / E10 with you long ago and the conclusion then was probably not worth it for me (might change with prices due to rise), then again I might follow @ProDave and DIY install PV in the near future.

Get the PV on the garage roof, and sneak 9m2 in the paddock.

We could sneak up the road and stumble upon a few free modules tonight.

image.thumb.png.6ca9a937fa24da66b7ced5f0af00f338.png

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Not if I turn the fkr off it wont!

I thank you. Zh

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Cheaper than oil or LPG, negative Nelly. Servicing etc far less complex / costly with a HP.

Nick Iwas just about to play my final " hand " on the subject/ thread.. being:

I forgot to say, Vaillant have also offered the alternative replacement of a LPG system, only within the past few days (I had yet to even wrap my noggin around/ no idea what this is all about ).

But your reply here.. perhaps puts this suggestion to bed-?

Thanks chaps, really apprectiated. Zoot.

3 hours ago, pocster said:

For Zooty

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60312633

Only enough to boil 60 kettles though.

You may scorn at it, but JET has well exceeded it's targets in many ways, both in terms of what it has achieved and how long it has operated.  (hint, I did some work on it and worked at Culham lab next door for quite a while, I left about 27 years ago)

It set out to prove that sustainable fusion was a real possibility, initially a few seconds of a fusion reaction was "success" then the first milestone was actually getting more power out than it took to contain the reaction, and now sustaining a reaction for 5 minutes while it may sound trivial is way beyond what anyone expected of this machine.

Ever since I can remember there was a road map of the follow on steps that should lead to a power generating fusion reactor, but for whatever reason, the next step machines have never been built until now.  I don't want to speculate why it has taken this long.

I still know people that work at JET (some I used to work with) and because of it's age, they are employing old folk like me that still know how to maintain, repair, and nurse along the nearly 40 year old electronics and instrumentation that keeps the thing running on mostly obsolete technology (which was all state of the art when it was built)

Oh and a bit of trivia, it was built in the green built on a 25 year planning permission with the condition it be returned to a green field site.  See the folklaw about it becomming the third Wittenham Clump when it is entombed by a man made hill.

The Deuterium / Tritium phase was always planned to be the final experiment left until the end as once that has run there is residual radiation left behind which makes future work inside the machine mostly a remote handling exercise.

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You may scorn at it, but JET has well exceeded it's targets in many ways, both in terms of what it has achieved and how long it has operated.  (hint, I did some work on it and worked at Culham lab next door for quite a while, I left about 27 years ago)

It set out to prove that sustainable fusion was a real possibility, initially a few seconds of a fusion reaction was "success" then the first milestone was actually getting more power out than it took to contain the reaction, and now sustaining a reaction for 5 minutes while it may sound trivial is way beyond what anyone expected of this machine.

Ever since I can remember there was a road map of the follow on steps that should lead to a power generating fusion reactor, but for whatever reason, the next step machines have never been built until now.  I don't want to speculate why it has taken this long.

I still know people that work at JET (some I used to work with) and because of it's age, they are employing old folk like me that still know how to maintain, repair, and nurse along the nearly 40 year old electronics and instrumentation that keeps the thing running on mostly obsolete technology (which was all state of the art when it was built)

Oh and a bit of trivia, it was built in the green built on a 25 year planning permission with the condition it be returned to a green field site.  See the folklaw about it becomming the third Wittenham Clump when it is entombed by a man made hill.

Install at Zoots for sure ! . Don’t think it will fit in the bedroom though …

44 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

forgot to say, Vaillant have also offered the alternative replacement of a LPG system, only within the past few days

A full LPG install (including “free” tank) which you have to find a home for..?? Assuming they go for a combi boiler and the rads etc as is, you’ll get a stinking hot house with some nice bills … gas is upward of 40p litre and won’t be coming down soon and it will have a noisy boiler (albeit only when it comes on) in the house. 

How do you heat your hot water currently out of interest..??

And … in reality if this was me, I would be finding a second hand pressure jet Rayburn on eBay or Facebook and getting that installed - £300 gets you a decent one round here. Add £600 for a tank, £250 for install and change of £1200 that place would be permanently warm … it’s what Rayburns were designed for !! 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Nick Iwas just about to play my final " hand " on the subject/ thread.. being:

I forgot to say, Vaillant have also offered the alternative replacement of a LPG system, only within the past few days (I had yet to even wrap my noggin around/ no idea what this is all about ).

But your reply here.. perhaps puts this suggestion to bed-?

Thanks chaps, really apprectiated. Zoot.

A complete new lpg gas combi boiler system?

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

and it will have a noisy boiler (albeit only when it comes on) in the house.

Hold on a minute, squire. The new Vaillant gas boilers are as quiet as a mouse being shouted at for chewing cheese too loudly in the mouse library. 

OK, let’s crunch the numbers…..

@zoothorn, what can you buy electricity for during the hours that you will use CH?

Can you price LPG locally and add that cost figure too please? I assume they’ll suggest 4x 47kg bottles on a 2 pair tandem switchover arrangement, or have they said lpg tank? How far have they gone into this? Any breakdown or proposal? Info please!!

13 hours ago, ProDave said:

and now sustaining a reaction for 5 minutes while it may sound trivial

5 minutes would be impressive.

But it was 5 seconds.

"The experiments produced 59 megajoules of energy over five seconds (11 megawatts of power)."

I am well aware of the path they have taken and it is why the new research place is in France.

Is 59 MJ about 16 kWh?  What I used yesterday.

13 hours ago, PeterW said:

And … in reality if this was me, I would be finding a second hand pressure jet Rayburn on eBay or Facebook and getting that installed - £300 gets you a decent one round here. Add £600 for a tank, £250 for install and change of £1200 that place would be permanently warm … it’s what Rayburns were designed for !! 

I already offered this a week ago - "We are hopefully replacing our oil fired Rayburn this year with an external oil fired boiler. Oil fired boilers are not quiet but I don't hear it when I'm in bed and it does produce very hot water very quickly. You are welcome to it if your new system doesn't work as you would like, although you would have to collect it."

• Like 2