ASHP " buffer "?

zoothorn

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

The MK4 2.0 GTi I had for a bit as a loaner was RAF and a bit of an underpowered dog.

I had a Mk3 turbo diesel once.

A truly dreadful car, slow, not economic, rattly and shaky at anything above 60 MPH.

Then everything electric started breaking, just as the rust started to come through.

Be a classic now as not many are about.  175

image.png.5e1c9f31d92b8e1db4fd2970f468ed5f.png

3 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Would you buy that car again, or would you buy a better one with a better crash test ( NCAP ) rating? VW Golf for example. Cheap as chips, strong as an Ox, great NCAP rating.

We digress………

Anyhoo. Where’s Zoot? I cannot move onto the next life without sorting this first. The 21 virgins are starting to get impatient though!!

Im here going through your reassuring  super helpful reply Nick, & digressing thinking of 80's soft peugeout seats.

That is fantastic help thanks- you must be awarded a BH cup of somesort ( longest ever post ? ).

Ok that overview makes my mind up to accept this new thing, knowing its similarities to mine, are not quite as many as I feared.

The defrost system you've clarified: kudos to you appreciated. 

I still have concerns, the defrost software is shared between system you see, & I'm not certain there is a compressor in my hydraulic unit box, but rather a noisy circulating pump ( so my main concern, this being a similar pump in the tank, in the same place, with the same defrost cycle... has unfortunately not been aleiviated by your info ).

But I know Ive exhausted all your efforts to explain if this isn't so. So tbh choosing to accept this system - with this additional huge tank being the new core sticking point- it's resolutely pretty much the same HUGE gamble for me it ever was ( since this damn tank idea sprung on me 2 weeks ago by Vaillant).

Im slightly, everso slightly more confident it won't go off the same midnight to 7 am incessantly, & problem- noisily, or even heard clearly just in the bedroom is ruinous enough IMHO. My confidence after your explanation? gone from 10% to 15%. Tops.

So Im still85% sure it will be a nightmare/ same problems/ will be forced to pull the plug on the whole system each night ( in cold snaps ) to sleep because it will start this mode up. But we now will see,.. as I think now I've no choice but accept it.

Thanks all. I'll put up the vaillant tank info sent to me, if any use here, next post below. Zoot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zoothorn said:

So Im still85% sure it will be a nightmare/ same problems/ will be forced to pull the plug on the whole system each night ( in cold snaps ) to sleep because it will start this mode up. But we now will see,.. as I think now I've no choice but accept it.

DO NOT DO THIS. ..!!! You may be creating issues not sorting them ..! It could be that the defrost etc should be daytime but switching it off forces it to do it the next xyz hours or something after it restarts. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pocster said:

Only enough to boil 60 kettles though.

"The experiments produced 59 megajoules of energy over five seconds (11 megawatts of power).

This is more than double what was achieved in similar tests back in 1997."

1997, 25 years ago.  They said nuclear fusion power was 20 years away.

The rest of us replied with 'and it always will be'

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

"The experiments produced 59 megajoules of energy over five seconds (11 megawatts of power).

This is more than double what was achieved in similar tests back in 1997."

1997, 25 years ago.  They said nuclear fusion power was 20 years away.

The rest of us replied with 'and it always will be'

Zoot drinks a lot of tea to keep warm - not sure this will provide enough hot water 

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

DO NOT DO THIS. ..!!! You may be creating issues not sorting them ..! It could be that the defrost etc should be daytime but switching it off forces it to do it the next xyz hours or something after it restarts. 

Peter. It is do this or not sleep. There is no choice. I mean currently this is.

Doing so is not -the cause, or even possibly the cause- of this night fiasco. No.

This is why I needed all this info on the replacement: because: Im still sure enough that I'll be forced to do this again IF the new ruddy tank thing misbehaves similarly in the cupboard, overnight.

Its either turn it off, or leave it on & sleep in the car at the moment. Tbh it's getting old again this weekend, so on friday 11pm I'll have to turn it off. Big red switch. Then on again 8 am Saturday. Each day... until cold snap over. THIS is what Im trying to mitigate against having to do, with the new system, but it's out of my control now I have concluded. A gamble.

4 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

IF the new ruddy tank thing misbehaves similarly in the cupboard, overnight.

If it misbehaves it’s faulty and engineers must fix it. As it’s been said here  time and time again tanks and their pumps are very quiet 

any central heating system whatever the type has a programmer of some description for timing the heating and temps required. @ProDave and I programme ours to not heat during time we want quiet. Frosting only occurs when the heat pump is running. overnight you could programme to a lower temp which is quite normal. Defrosting only occurs when temps are low and RH is high, mine has only done this a couple of times in two years!!!!!

9 minutes ago, joe90 said:

As it’s been said here  time and time again tanks and their pumps are very quiet 

This installation will be the exception.  I hear my E7 cylinder warming up, and that has no pumps.

Probably going to be similar to the background noise you get in Middlesex, heading West, from Heathrow, that meets noise levels.

14 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

This installation will be the exception.  I hear my E7 cylinder warming up, and that has no pumps.

Probably going to be similar to the background noise you get in Middlesex, heading West, from Heathrow, that meets noise levels.

I disagree, kettles and immersions create a lot of heat in a small area , bubbling, boiling hissing. An ASHP heats at a low level, which is why they take so long. When defrosting it’s simply the pump gently moving the water back out to the outside gubbins to warm it up and melt any frost.

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

(No, don’t tell Zoot ?)

Wasn't going to.  All that hissing and popping.  It was only the absence of it night before last that I remembered that I had not turned my water back on after my weekly trip away.

Luckily I realised at 4:30 AM, so could listen to it heat the cylinder till 7 AM.

Then a warm bath to de-stress.

24 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I hear my E7 cylinder warming up, and that has no pumps.

Not the same sorry, so NO!

You immersion will fizz away loudly as it superheats the water around it. An ASHP buffer receives heated water silently via the coil. If the pump is next to it you get the minute whir from the pump, maybe a small gurgle or rush of water when it starts up, but nothing like the chaos of an F-gas compressor.

If the pump was remote ( away from the buffer at the external monoblock which it may well be ) then the cylinder will be near silent during operation. Where the pump that circulates water from the buffer to the rads will be something for zoot to discuss with his installers to see if they can locate it anywhere other than that bedroom. If it's a guest bedroom then no need to shit the bed afaic ;)   

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, joe90 said:

If it misbehaves it’s faulty and engineers must fix it. As it’s been said here  time and time again tanks and their pumps are very quiet 

any central heating system whatever the type has a programmer of some description for timing the heating and temps required. @ProDave and I programme ours to not heat during time we want quiet. Frosting only occurs when the heat pump is running. overnight you could programme to a lower temp which is quite normal. Defrosting only occurs when temps are low and RH is high, mine has only done this a couple of times in two years!!!!!

Well that must then be proof of the unusually wet climate here, if mine goes on all night, on every single day or night the temp siplops below 3*C.

Iknow all you guys' systems are quiet, you never hear anything much, you can even have programmable control of what it does at night ( & a warm house too ). But mine, currently, is totally, utterly, completely different ( & a cold house too ) & I have  NO contro whatsoever about what it does at night. If this is all I've known of ashp's, getting in a "similsr replacement"..... doesn't fill me with any good expectations at all. Mostly dread tbh.

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Is the same if it uses an immersion heater in the cylinder once a week to run the legonella cycle.

They may even put one in the buffer tank, just for a laugh.

If you carry on, I'll buy another £5 worth of capital letters to tell you to fcuk off ;) 

We're making progress, stop with the negative waves, baby.

• Like 3